Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Remember the Whitewash Sequoia ?  (Read 2953 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Remember the Whitewash Sequoia ?
« on: June 23, 2014, 06:54:01 AM »

It's not whitewash anymore !

Thanks To CritterHunter, Raymond for a great job on the redwood cart, the whitewash took a bunch of time to remove . Raymond wasn't able to keep the Sequoia , but he knew I was the second caller when it first came up for sale so he asked me if I'd like it and of course I did.

It's missing the lid hanger and towel ring , but that's not a problem , there's a few minor chips on the bowl and lid  and a burn or two on the redwood . All the original hardware is there.

The bowl and lid are stamped " C " and some time on the daisy wheels is all this Sequoia needs to be completed and ready to cook on.

My family and I enjoyed a great trip to Oregon and saw some really great sites . I enjoyed meeting CritterHunter , great guy with some really cool cookers and without a doubt a standup guy ..good people !!!

Once it's done I'll post better pics , I'm beat after 1000 miles round trip
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 07:01:46 AM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Remember the Whitewash Sequoia ?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 07:09:12 AM »
Come again?  1000 mile road trip?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 07:11:46 AM »
Just awesome, amazing score Idahawk!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 07:12:36 AM »
Idaho to Oregon and back, it was 400 miles one way , we took the wild and scenic route home .

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 07:16:15 AM by Idahawk »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 08:00:48 AM »

That's just tremendous.....perhaps the whitewash actually protected the original in some way.........it looks pretty dang good !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 08:10:39 AM »
Wow.

And what a wonderful job he did restoring the wood.  It is fantastic.

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 08:40:13 AM »
It's beautiful!

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 08:47:25 AM »
That came out pretty good, very nice!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 09:07:08 AM »
Well worth the time to go get it with the family. Very time you light it up the family will remember the great time when you went to get it. I also see you relaxed with a Bud on the tailgate? HAHA. The bowl and lid look pretty good.
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 09:41:28 AM »
Really nice. Would love to find the "Cardinal" someday. (Red cart with black kettle). But if another one this nice turned up I would not pass it by.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 10:15:21 AM »
Here's the story

One of Daughters is married to a master pool builder , he travels the  world building incredible pools and spent months in Italy learning marble work . A few months ago they were sent to Oregon , Eugene and the University of Oregon to do a new pool for the college and it put them as close to us as they have been in years , so a visit was in order..

I put the cities we would be going through on my CL app and while checking I spotted the Ad for the Sequoia , it wasn't exactly near where I was heading but I thought I could make it work . Next I checked here and saw nothing about it  so I called the seller . I asked the seller about the grill and she said she'd had it for 15 years and it was always white , I had her open the doors and describe the wood , she said it was cedar or redwood looking :) . I then asked if it was available and she said she had another guy coming and would let me know . I gave her my number and waited . Later that day she called and it was in fact sold , bummer . I popped back on here and saw the thread that had been created about it , turns out the posting ID number and phone number were switched around on the ad and that kept a few other guys from making contact.

Meanwhile back in Oregon , CritterHunter gets  a tip from yet another WKC member about a rare grill right in his back yard , he calls and he's first and he's local , but he's thinking about moving so adding another grill isn't really exciting to him at the moment, he calls to tell the seller he's not coming and she mentions a crazy guy from Idaho who wants to drive down and get it so he figures if it's that close why not , the price was right and he makes the pickup.

Then

CritterHunter felt it needed to be with a collector and with a possible move in his future he opted to pass it on to the next guy in line which was me , we set a date for pick up  a couple weeks later and we went and got it.

The trip was long but like old grills I love history and we toured the high desert of central Oregon on the way home

Circumstances put this grill in my hands like it was meant to be , oddly I feel like I'm done as this was my grail of grails ..

On a funny side night note , we stayed in Madres,  Oregon and on Sunday  morning I went to gas up directly across the street from our hotel at a Safeway . There was a curb thing in the middle of the road to keep you from going straight across so I turned right and then did a u turn left to get into the Safeway , next thing I know I have sheriff with his lights on behind me , so I stop. That was a dangerous maneuver you just did, he said , I apologized and told him I didn't see a no u turn sign and there was no traffic at all ?
 He ran my plates and license and turns out I haven't been pulled over in 22 years, did not know that .

He was cool !
He just gave me a warning and asked what was under the cover ?  I told him it was a Rare Weber BBQ and it's why I came to his town , he looked at me really funny and was about to say something when the sound of Harley Davidson pipes started turning into the Safeway. He turned around and just stood there . You see there were about 20 riders at the Hotel we were staying at  and when they left they  did the same thing I did as they came across the street , lol ....I was laughing so hard on the inside,  his face was classic as he watched guy after guy drive around that stupid curb thing and as I drive away he was going from rider to rider .....unbelievably funny shit , glad I didn't get  a ticket but it was very funny all the same .

Plus

At the same time this was going on  my 5 year old is looking out the third floor hotel room  window facing the Safeway  and asks her mom " why does that  policeman have papa" ? my wife bolted to the window and sent me a text

" what have you done !?"
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:27:24 AM by Idahawk »

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
great score man!! congrats!!!

when you get it all cleaned up, we'd love to feature it on the homepage and in the gallery!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 10:20:05 AM »
Cuda Dan , that Bud was after I unwrapped the cargo and found it made it to Idaho safely ! It's one thing to find one but the stress of hauling it ....man I was tense even after using 4 big gasser covers on the cart and 3 each on the lid .....it's all for nothing if it gets damaged ....I may have had 4-5 of those :)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 10:21:59 AM »

great score man!! congrats!!!

when you get it all cleaned up, we'd love to feature it on the homepage and in the gallery!

Sure I'd be proud to have everyone enjoy it as much as I do .

Critterhunter

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 10:27:24 AM »
It was good meeting you Dave.I know you will enjoy it.What did you think of the Painted Hills?