Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: MORE UPDATES - Wow! New flat top 26. What do I do?  (Read 14960 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: (PICS) Wow! New flat top 26. What do I do?
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2017, 06:44:21 AM »
Unless I'm missing something, there are several easy ways to make the sns work. One side of the grate would rest on the sns and the other side could be supported by a couple of carriage bolts to the charcoal grate. Or a brick or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2017, 07:01:22 AM »
The grate brackets on older 26ers are shorter than the modern 26er brackets, so the SnS doesn't fit between the older brackets.  It would have to be setup away from the bowl sides; not unworkable, but not as intended to be used by the owner.
Uncommon sense seeker

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2017, 07:44:35 AM »

The grate brackets on older 26ers are shorter than the modern 26er brackets, so the SnS doesn't fit between the older brackets.  It would have to be setup away from the bowl sides; not unworkable, but not as intended to be used by the owner.

If that's the case, keeping the modern 26 is the easy answer. It would be very difficult to give up that older beauty. So difficult that I would keep it too. [emoji3]

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2017, 07:47:32 AM »
I'm pretty sure that it's just a ring that sits on top of the grate support tabs. The bolts that you see are to hold pieces of the metal mesh together. 

@swamprb is that correct?

Yea, that would make more sense.  :P

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2017, 07:49:08 AM »
Not to divert the focus of this thread away from a fantastic score of a beautiful grill (I have an EO 26er as well and really appreciate this find for that reason), but if appearance wasn't a concern I'm sure that the 26" SNS COULD fit in this grill without modification, but the grate would be caddywampus, sloping to one side. As McGolden stated previously, there are several EXCELLENT ways to still use this grill as a smoker (two fire bricks are just as good, imo), it just sux that the SNS doesn't fit.

You're right. I'm sure there are ways I could make it fit.  When I wrote the post about it not fitting, I was just so annoyed I wasn't thinking straight.  I'm better now.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2017, 12:44:03 PM »

If that's the case, keeping the modern 26 is the easy answer. It would be very difficult to give up that older beauty. So difficult that I would keep it too. [emoji3]

HoosierKettle is right.  I checked during lunch and the SNS would have to sit away from the wall where it's encroaching into the middle of the grill.  Between that and having to raise up the grate, it just doesn't seem worth it.  Not a huge deal.  I tested some firebricks I had, and they fit perfectly on their side between the charcoal and cooking grates.  So I'm either going to sell my SNS XL to the guy who's buying my 26 or put it up for sale. 

One of the reasons I liked the SNS is that it keeps the lit coals directly off the side of the grill, vs. separating via fire bricks.  But I'm guessing that for a slow cook it won't be that much heat and the grill should handle it just fine.  If anyone has any thoughts on this...

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »
My personal opinion is if I go for a 26er it won't be a flat top. I've seen posts like this and how they differ from the newer style. Replacement grates aren't as easily available and such. I think in this case for me newer would be better than vintage. You can get almost anything for a 22" for the oldies. I love my SnS and even in low and slow I'd refrain from banking coals against the bare bowl. This is all just my thoughts and opinion. Ultimately do what makes you happy and keep the one that cooking on is more enjoyable. Good luck man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2017, 04:10:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure that it's just a ring that sits on top of the grate support tabs. The bolts that you see are to hold pieces of the metal mesh together. 

@swamprb is that correct?

You are correct sir!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
My personal opinion is if I go for a 26er it won't be a flat top. I've seen posts like this and how they differ from the newer style. Replacement grates aren't as easily available and such. I think in this case for me newer would be better than vintage. You can get almost anything for a 22" for the oldies. I love my SnS and even in low and slow I'd refrain from banking coals against the bare bowl. This is all just my thoughts and opinion. Ultimately do what makes you happy and keep the one that cooking on is more enjoyable. Good luck man.

I enjoy cooking on the Flat-Tops more than the new OTG's, I mean if you have one, slight mods are a given-like raising the cook grate level. I mean wtf? How hard is that? If an sns not fitting is the only holdback you are doing yourself a great disservice and missing out on utilizing a good cooker.

Banking coals on my RED 26'r won't happen. I don't see a sns in my future, so I've made my own hillbilly version from expando.

The divider is removable for short or longer cooks as needed.

Since I have the Cajun Bandit ring, the Rib-O-Lator expanding tray works great for quantity cooks, a Weber 9891 (EZ-Que) cradle rotisserie for the gassers fit it perfectly, and I recently acquired a Broil-Master Hugga-Rack rotisserie unit that brings some more fun to the game. I guess I'm just a kettlekweer when it comes to mods.

https://www.facebook.com/Left-Hand-Smoke-116187658462391/?ref=hl
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:58:08 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2017, 04:55:07 PM »
That's a pretty slick setup @swamprb

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2017, 07:56:59 PM »
Those handles look amazing on that NOS flat top. The spin marks on the lid are f*****g KILLER!!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2017, 01:36:39 AM »
Gorgeous!  Out of curiosity would you consider contacting Weber to see if they would offer you something ridiculous for it?  Only reason I ask is that it seems like if they were expanding their restaurant chain they may pay big $

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2017, 03:14:29 AM »
Gorgeous!  Out of curiosity would you consider contacting Weber to see if they would offer you something ridiculous for it?  Only reason I ask is that it seems like if they were expanding their restaurant chain they may pay big $

I would but I wouldn't even know who to contact and wonder if it's old enough for them to care all that much.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2017, 05:02:27 AM »

I would but I wouldn't even know who to contact and wonder if it's old enough for them to care all that much.

I think @darko had success in this regard

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2017, 05:47:22 AM »
 ;D Just a little bit.

All I did was to send an email to customer service.