Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Please help identify this.  (Read 2867 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Please help identify this.
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 12:25:07 PM »
Ja, a missing bowl still fits with my idea.. with gourmet here in Holland they always have a bottle of “fake butter” type cooking oil on the table to cook with or fry veggies or meat in.
Did you get a photo of the little pot ?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 06:07:48 PM »
Watch out, if you are there long enough, you'll wind up with an accent and nobody will believe you are NOT European. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and I think there is something missing that drops into the middle hole and that lets the heat come up in the center maybe to a upper griddle ? Kind of like the 2nd photo I posted. I am assuming that this would have 4 pins or knubbies that fit into the matching notches around the ring... to keep it from turning? I don't know I'm just guessing.
For all I know it could be a billings induction coupling for use with a photon impeller on the warp drive? and its just sitting next to a weird ass barbecue prototype ? ... I need another drink !
@PotsieWeber  European Friend.. Where? Not ME! I'm born and raised in Michigan... I just live here now and as soon as I can sell my house... I'm coming back home so I can go Kettle Hunting ! LOL ;-)
regards,
Hal

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 06:54:06 AM »
@MDurso, care to weigh in on this mystery? 

I’m still curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 07:15:21 AM »
Well I do know I have not seen this before.  So it wasn't anything laying on the shelves in 2006 or there abouts.  We also know that Weber moved several times -Arlington Heights, Wood Dale, Palatine, Huntley.  I'm not sure where R&D moved to these days, I don't keep tabs on them... so a lot was shuffled around in all those moves.

They did have Factory Closeout sales each year in the summer up until 2004/5.  They discontinued them in 2006 from what I was told -they didn't have one in 06 when I started.  They would sell off unique items, limited edition stuff, open box -so you may have that cast piece without the rest of the parts.

We actually have 2 things here.  One is the unique bowl with the vent on the bottom, the same ones I used on the 22.  Someone who is at home (as I am at work right now) should be able to judge that diameter with a 14 and 18 they have laying around to determine the bowl size.  Because they are awfully close to the leg couplings, right?  If it had stubbys or full length triangle, good question -which again, was it a 14 or 18.

But given the large cast piece, an 18?  I suspect those ridges are on the underside and rest on the edge of the bowl.  Whether or not there are other accoutrements, good question.

I have a source I can reach out to and i'll let you know what they say.  Cool find!
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 07:27:18 AM »
The hardware store I spotted this at is about a 2 miles from the factory in Palatine. The bowl is from a 14-inch Smokey Joe but it has leg sockets. The vent code says it's an 88. I need to stop back in and see if the owner of it has found anything out from the Weber rep.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 07:47:39 AM »
I have heard from a source very close to this.  They said it should not have been sold and was likely a dumpster dive find.  Not completely unlikely as they are not too far from where Weber R&D was located.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
Please help identify this.
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 07:48:25 AM »
Scale looks like a 14" based on the picts.   The three mounts on the underside of the CI look to support the 14" scale and would lock this tray onto the top of a 14" bowl.

Sockets make sense as well. I doubt normal 14" SJ legs from the 80's would support the weight of that CI vey well. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 07:50:30 AM by nolch01 »

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »
I don't know what this is, but I like it!