Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: If money was no object...  (Read 7112 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
If money was no object...
« on: March 22, 2016, 08:14:18 PM »
Would a Weber Kettle still be your go to grill? Or would you get something else.

My wife asked me if I would ever want a Big Green Egg. While I would not be opposed to one, and while I have never grilled on one, I still think my go to grill would be a Weber.

So for me, my answer would be a Weber kettle (preferably a performer or 26") would be my go to grill.

For the record, I am not talking about smokers. Just grills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: If money was no object...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 09:28:06 PM »
The BGE looks really cool but they are a pain. Really heavy, hard to access charcoal and ash, $$$$, only comes in one color, fragile, less capacity, the list goes on.

To be honest, I'm not sure which charcoal grill I would choose if money was no object. I like the simplicity of the Weber kettles but it would be nice to see a performer in the same kind of quality as the old stainless Genesis platinums.

If we're talking smokers then the WSM would be far down the list. 8)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 09:30:44 PM »
If money was no object I'm still sticking with my Weber kettles.  Up until two years ago I was cooking on gas grills.  I was gradually improving my skills and wanted to give charcoal a try.  I remember my dad cooking on a Weber kettle when I was young so with that nostalgia I had to have one for my entry into charcoal.  Next, I decided to search the internet to see if there were others that shared that same nostalgia and low and behold that is what led me here to WKC.  In a short period of time I have dramatically improved my grilling game.  I owe all that to the wonderful community here and to the incredibly versatile grill design that was conceived over half a century ago.  If there is more money to be spent, I'm buying nice cuts of meat and more charcoal  8)   

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 10:05:56 PM »
Stick with the kettle.  Did the BGE route before...never again.  It's too limited.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 10:06:35 PM »
Yes.

In all fairness, that is what I know. My dad used Weber kettles when I was young, until he switched to a Weber gasser, and later switched back to charcoal. And then he bought a pair of 22s in 1986. He gave me the red, and I inherited the black. I know how to cook on them. I've cooked on everything else you have mentioned, but I would not buy them. The kettle is just so adaptable to so many ways of cooking.

On second thought, if you are all in, "Ranch Kettle." That is the Boss.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 10:14:57 PM by Jon »

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 02:47:14 AM »
There was a brief time that I wanted a Portable Kitchen Grill/Smoker, but then I got to thinking about the one touch system and how convenient it is and from what I understand you have to scoop out all the ashes after every cook on the PKGrill. That is LESS functionality for a whole lot more money than a Weber Kettle.

So that brief idea went away.

I think about the Performers and I'm not a fan of the plastic tables.

I'd probably go with a Blue Crate and Barrel Performer if money was no object.

If I didn't already restore a beautiful old wooden table that I found at a yard sale for $15 I probably would have gotten the Crate and Barrel Blue performer rather than the Crimson Original Kettle Premium that Brian is currently making some handles for.

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 02:57:34 AM »
A 26" performer with gas assist would would stop me in my tracks.  Since that isn't made, and I'm not sure I'm interested fabbing a cart and drilling my 26er.....I have 2 grills sitting on my deck (3 counting the Genesis gasser)
-Keith

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 03:51:25 AM »
The PK can be separated from the cart; if it can be easily lifted out for dumping ash I'd like to one day try using one, because it seems to have a nice design. But for the money, my money, I'd likely get a new 26 Weber. I've never been interested in any of the kamados.

For new 22's I also like the C&B Blue Performer (at least in pictures) and for a standalone I'd be sorely tempted to import a Smoke MasterTouch. Naturally, I'm grateful that Weber's designs over years have created a fairly vibrant used market, since that's actually where my REAL money goes.

Gassers remain a curiosity. The flavor just isn't there. I'd like to try one that's not my Q300, and I'm really drawn to the idea of a dedicated griddle machine like the Blackstone even though I'd never need that much griddle real estate.

Maybe Weber's upcoming "Grill of a Lifetime" Summit Charcoal or whatever ill be called will be be The One And Only, for real!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 04:07:27 AM »
I have a Hasty Bake 256 Gourmet, which is about as high end as a charcoal grill can get.  I haven't used it since I got the first Slow 'N Sear prototype.  My main gripe with the HB is you can't completely snuff the airflow, so it always burns through whatever charcoal you put in it. 

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 04:10:13 AM »
For the record, I am not asking because I am looking for a new grill. Unfortunate money is very much an issue. I was just thinking  that even if it wasn't an issue I would still grill on my Webers.

And I also really like the blue C&B performer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 04:27:05 AM »
I'd have to say a performer. I've tried em all, cooked on a BGE, owned a PK, several barrel grills and custom offset smokers. IMO a Weber kettle is the most versatile thing out there.
and i'd be torn between a Copper and the C& B Blue so...BOTH

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 06:25:00 AM »
If money was no object I would go to the store on April 6th and buy the latest stuff from weber!

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 07:26:00 AM »
if...

I'd grab another

http://www.hollandgrill.com/

APEX & probably have it built in for an outdoor kitchen...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

IvanTucuk

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »
I looked at BGE's for a long time, but because money always seems to be an issue eventually settled on and Akorn. It's an insulated metal version of the BGE and is very efficient and extremely flexible. It uses very little charcoal, and you can easily maintain 225 all day long without doing anything, or get it up over 800 for pizza.

The problem I had is that there's a learning curve and it's extremely easy to overshoot your temps. I don't have the patience to go through multiple cooks knowing I'd be getting better (easier) results with my weber. I've been using my kettle for 15 yrs, I know how to dance with it, and am really happy with the results I get. Maybe when I have more time I'll try to learn it again.

I'd get the either C&B Performer or the Ace Crimson performer (although I wish it were glossy -- maybe it can be buffed up???), along with a stainless propane griddle.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 09:01:05 AM »
Regardless, I'd still use the Weber kettle. I can do anything from cold smoking to high heat searing with it.