Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up my first "vintage" and first Red along with some vintage accessories  (Read 4916 times)

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
First, some back story.   

Man, this really is a disease or mental condition.  I'm a long time gasser and I've just recently come over to the charcoal world.  In the last year or so, I've accumulated a 22 OTS, a Performer, a SJS, and just recently, 2 JJs.   All are black save for the Performer, which is a darkish green.   My gassers are either black or SS.   With that, and seeing the WKC banner image on every page, I decided I needed some color in my family.  Also, all of my kettles are less than 10 years old, so I wanted to bring some maturity in as well.

Anyways, was cruising CL and saw this:

Don't know why, but I immediately fell for this one.  It had some rough spots, I thought the price was a bit steep and it was a little bit outside how far I'd normally travel for CL deals (just over 2 hours away).   

I was torn and almost passed on it but then I saw this:

and this:

I then read the actual ad and saw this:

I also have a charcoal chimney, corn n tater ring in box and a Shish kabob rack in box

Being a complete N00b to the Kettle scene, bells and whistles didn't go off, rather, I thought "Hmmm, that might change things a bit.  Perhaps it is worth the drive after all".     So, I did a bit of research here, found some amazing threads (of which there are plenty of here) and quickly fired off an email to the seller.   

Since it was 5am in the morning, I didn't expect an immediate reply.  I also kind of figured that I was probably the 400th person to email about this listing.   They day drug on and I still hadn't received any reply.   Finally, around 4:30 I finally got an email from the guy asking what time I would like to come over that evening.   I did the quick math and told him that I had some things to wrap up and that the earliest I could be there was 7:30.   I didn't want to let on that I was getting into my car and driving 140 miles to make this purchase.

Anyways, long story short, 5 1/2 hours later (bad traffic), here's what I made it back with.

The Corn'n Tator ring and the Shish Kebab set should both clean up nicely as I rubbed some spots on both and whatever it is that's on there came right off.    Not so sure about the charcoal fences and the tool holder.

As for the grill itself, I have no idea what it's called (model?).  After finding and looking over @MartyG's vent code photos on Flickr, it looks like it was made between '71-'75?

Anyways, time to go back through and read up on restoring Kettles as this one needs some loving.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
That is a great score! The Redhead should clean up real well and the accesories wow!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
That is a great score! The Redhead should clean up real well and the accesories wow!

Thanks Ron.   I'm looking forward to cleaning this kettle up and cooking on it.  I'm debating on whether to clean the accessories up before trying to find a new home for them, or just leave them as is and let the future owners have the fun.  As neat as they are, I just don't think I would ever use either of them, so might as well pass them along to someone who would. 

Troy

• Statesman
Great score!! That shish ring is a rare beast!!
Would you be willing to take a bunch of pictures for us to put into our gallery?
You can email them to gallery @ weber kettle club dot com.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Well deserved for all that windshield time. Is Shish Kebob for a 26?

MartyG

• WKC Performer
After finding and looking over @MartyG's vent code photos on Flickr, it looks like it was made between '71-'75?

That reminds me, I need to update this reference. Hard to keep up!  ;D

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Great score!! That shish ring is a rare beast!!
Would you be willing to take a bunch of pictures for us to put into our gallery?
You can email them to gallery @ weber kettle club dot com.

I'd be happy to Troy.    Any specific recommendations of shots ??  Or you just want me to flood the inbox ? (have to ask because I'm seriously trigger happy when it comes to taking photos.)

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Well deserved for all that windshield time. Is Shish Kebob for a 26?

Thanks GL.   I believe the Kebab ring is for a 22.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Great finds there - well worth the drive.  I would be keeping all of it though.  The box for the Shish Kebob set is significatly larger than the Corn'n' Tater Ring box.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Great Redhead !!!

I've got a couple like that & they're good cookers......the wheel vents are just right for a smoker!!!!

Nice finds on the other stuff.....maybe Winz would use a shish on his Westerner?

I think with the tool holder it might be that preservative oil stuff they would put on things....I've had a few items I bought new that just sat stored & the coating turns kinda sludge-like & sticky & I think that's all it is......maybe a little rust, should clean off fine..........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jmeier64

• WKC Brave
Great find for sure. I am still searching for my red. The corn n tater ring and kabob set are so awesome. I would keep all of those goodies. If you do decide to seek new homes for any of those. I have been wanting those items for quite some time and they would have happy loved homes and put to good regular use. Cannot wait to see more pics. Congrats!!
First up a nice 3 wheeler red head

GregS

• WKC Performer
very nice!  congrats!
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
Nice finds. All the way around those are sweet. Especially the shish kabob ring. That's bad ass.

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
Those are great finds. I would hang on to it all if I were you. You can always pass it on later if you find you don't use them and you may find that you love them.  I Just my 2 cents.
Grail: THE AMBASSADOR

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Awesome scores! Glad it went to a member!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.