Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Went to pick up a 22.5" E code redhead.......  (Read 4995 times)

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
Re: Went to pick up a 22.5" E code redhead.......
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 05:33:12 AM »
Got some more pics last night.  First off.......sitting next to its little red E code buddy

A few more of the 26er.  Plastic hub, rubber tread wheels.  They are dirty, but in good condition

Dirty lid.  All of those marks are just dirt.  They wipe right off.  The handle welds are solid, and the vent spins freely

The bowl vents are a little beat up.  One broke off as soon as I touched it.  The tabs are all a little mangled, but the important part is that they are all still there and can be repaired with a little bending and some nuts/bolts.  The leg sockets are all solid.

There are your typical cracked porcelain areas where the internal brackets were welded, and there is also a lemon sized chunk of porcelain missing near one of the vents

Inside of the bowl is dirty, but should clean up good as new with a little elbow grease.  The charcoal grate was included and is in good shape.  The cooking grate was long gone, but the previous owner gave me a new 22.5" he had in the shed.  I have a 26" Grillmate cooking grate that supposedly will fit right in the old 26ers, so I'll check that out this weekend.

As far as the E coded 22.5" I picked up along with it........its also in pretty good shape.  Its 100% there and usable.  The old style one touch sweep is rusty, but still solid and turning freely.  The leg sockets are all solid.  The only bummers are that the lid must have been dropped on its handle at one point.  It was a little dent where the handle mounts, and the welds are a little weak.  It will still make a fine cooker.

This was the other cool part about the 22.5"......The One, The Only handles

When I picked up the 22.5" yesterday I remembered to ask the back story on the grills.  It turns out that they were both purchased brand new by the previous owner.  The 22.5" came from a hardware store in the early '80s that no longer exists, and the 26er came from a store called Best in the early '70s.  He still liked to use them, but had been using them less and less do to his age and the amount of extra effort needed for the charcoal.  He seemed happy that they were going to a good home where they would be cared for.
-Keith

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 05:46:37 AM »
That 26er would be the centerpiece of any collection, and the 22 is not too shabby either. Nice to hear the back story too - thanks for asking the guy. Can't wait to see the clean up series.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 10:56:43 AM »
Thanks for the photos!  Wow that's a wonderful kettle and a great story (the PO who bought it, and you who found it as you did!). 

...and am I remembering correctly that you bought a 26" grate *before* you owned a 26?  That's some kind of kettle karma right there, like the universe found balance in the trunk of your car the other night or something.

CONGRATS!! 
One of the charcoal people.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »
Also, I can't wait to see your and Marty's flat-tops sitting right next to one another at the next Mid-Atlantic Meetup!  Gonna be EPIC!
One of the charcoal people.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2014, 11:10:16 AM »
Also, I can't wait to see your and Marty's flat-tops sitting right next to one another at the next Mid-Atlantic Meetup!  Gonna be EPIC!

If I win the chestnut 26er Brian is giving away tomorrow Mike - it's yours!  8)

teerhardy

• WKC Brave
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 02:27:55 AM »
What a find!  Congrats!
Grey 22.5" OTS H
Copper 22.5" OTG... that's right I turned copper into gold.
Black 22.5" SS Performer

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2014, 04:59:37 AM »
Awsome!

I love the smell of a evening cook...

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2014, 05:32:41 AM »
Welcome to the red 26 flat top club!  You are in very rare company!
Kettle collector AND cooker!