Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I'm out of control!  (Read 3852 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
I'm out of control!
« on: February 21, 2014, 07:49:38 AM »
My name is Hank and I like meat. I also like a good sale and one of my favorite groceries has a sale on meat today.  It's been a long time since I left the store with this much meat. It included:

20 lb. chicken leg quarters (38¢/lb.)
4 lb. wild caught salmon ($4.99/lb.)
2 racks (5 lb) baby back ribs ($2.49/lb.)
6 3/4 lb. pork neck bones (89¢/lb.)
11 1/4 lb. fresh picnic (99¢/lb.)
5 3/4 lb semi-boneless chuck ($2.99/lb)
5 lb beef neck bones ($2.29/lb)

Woo! 54 lb. meat and 4 lb. fish! They also had Jonagold apples - my favorite - for 49¢/lb., avocados for 59¢ each.

Now... aside from the problem of what cooker to use for which meat (aside from what will go directly into the freezer) is that wind is at 25 mph and gusting to 50.  :o Not a good day to fire up the kettle. Maybe I'll start cooking tomorrow. I'll smoke the neck bones and freeze them for making stock down the road. Beef chuck is for Pepper Stout Beef. I'm not sure how I'll do the leg quarters. I like the Jerk chicken recipe but I might use some other rubs as well. They'll all be cooked, portioned and frozen. I'll smoke the picnic for pulled pork. I'll save the bone in that (and the skin) to add to the stock I make with pork neck bones. I could shelter my little WSM and smoke the baby backs today. :D
kettles, smokers...

Troy

• Statesman
Re: I'm out of control!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:58:18 AM »
thats a lotta meat!

we buy a lot of pork neck bones - my wife uses them in this filipino dish that she makes once a week or so. (sinigang)

i've been on the hunt for eye of round to make a BIG batch of jerky

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:20:09 AM »
Hank, my favorite thing for pork neck bone is Korean Gamjatang- pork bone stew. It's perfect for cold weather!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 08:55:53 AM »
Those both sound good though the sinigang sounds like it might be more amenable to starting with smoked neck bones (vs. browning them first.) The Gamjatang recipe I found says to soak the neck bones in cold water first. I wonder what that does and if I could start with smoked neck bones instead and not totally trash the recipe. Feel free to point me toward better recipes if you have links (or just copy them here.)
kettles, smokers...

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:02:13 AM »
Those both sound good though the sinigang sounds like it might be more amenable to starting with smoked neck bones (vs. browning them first.) The Gamjatang recipe I found says to soak the neck bones in cold water first. I wonder what that does and if I could start with smoked neck bones instead and not totally trash the recipe. Feel free to point me toward better recipes if you have links (or just copy them here.)

Hank, I think soaking them just removes the blood before you stew it. I am not sure how smoked pork neck bones will affect the dish though.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 09:31:45 AM »

we skip tomatoes and green beans, and add a couple banana peppers, spinach, okra, bok choy, and taro root

i season it afterwords with morton's hot salt. :)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 10:06:07 AM »
Ok Hank...which store has the baby backs at 2.49/lb?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:28:50 AM »
Ok Hank...which store has the baby backs at 2.49/lb?
Valli Produce on North Avenue and Bloomingdale. Limit two, today only and then $3.49.
kettles, smokers...

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 10:51:20 AM »
And today my chickens are coming home to roost. (Pun intended. ;) ) 10 lb. jerk chicken done! Picnic and chuck in the 18 WSM a d cruising at about 250°F. Beef neck bones on the 26 and smoking at about 300°F. two racks of baby backs on the mini-WSM at about 215°F. This is work! I haven;t had a break since I started cooking. (Except for wolfing down a jerk chicken leg quarter.) Pork neck bones and another 10 lb. leg quarters still to do.

kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 04:37:18 PM »

Yee- Haw !!!!!

I forgot to check back in & see how this huge load of stuff went..... :o

Didn't know if you were going to cook all the way thru the rotation or freeze some items.....appears you went the whole hawg route !!!!

GGOD SHOW!!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"