Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Crimson Performer?  (Read 20355 times)

juno

• Happy Cooker
Re: Crimson Performer?
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2014, 10:26:48 AM »
When I was looking at the new ones, the finish didn't seem quite the same to me either.  Asisde from being a matte finish, I would agree with the person above who said it seemed "thinner."  The entire kettle lid felt lighter to me actually.

The red finish in the pics above looks bright due to overhead fluorescent lighting.  In daylight it looks much more dull

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2014, 10:33:01 AM »
Saying something changed and it's probably not good is not is pure conjecture.   I don't follow that logic. 

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

To say something changed (it did)  and that I do not like it (I don't)  is not conjecture, it is opinion formed from a fact.

By the way, I also think plastic handles suck.  Wood ones are freaking WAAAYYY better.    (Handles changed: fact;  they suck: opinion)

For the record your opinion is not fact.  There is no proof that anything is worse, YOU just don't like it for no other reason than you just don't like it.  Which is fine, but it's YOUR opinion. Not fact.  Just because something is different does not make it worse.  Sure some things get worse with change, some get better.  I would just never see something different then automatically say it's worse.  I don't want be that guy.  I guess it's the same logic of just wanting to complain, I don't agree with that either. 

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2014, 10:50:13 AM »
I went back and re-read everything I wrote.  I'm not sure how else to explain that my point of view is just my opinion, and distinct and different from the certain other items that are fact, so I won't continue to try.   

People should buy stuff they like.   Not everybody agrees on what's best.   Shrug.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2014, 10:52:30 AM »

Hey....maybe they got a new process for appling & curing the finish that WON'T CHIP EVER !!!!!

I remember the color of the Target Coppers....Pantone 876 almost exactly * it was pretty shiny, just a little less than the other colors....

The new ones colors may very well be using some new way of curing, ya think?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2014, 10:55:07 AM »
buckie, I don't think so  based on dwnthehatchs post in this very thread.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »
to be honest, even grill lids 5 years ago felt and sounded lighter than old ones while in the store.

i have yet to see anyone compare with a micro caliper and a scale

when i handled the lids of my old baby blue from the 60s and compared it to a OTS black from 2009 - the difference was very slight and I couldn't determine if it was pure perception or fact.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2014, 11:31:56 AM »
Weber has been mostly made in IL, but as the article mentioned above they source components from overseas too. If you haven't noticed the new kettles now say "designed and engineering in IL" on the top vent or something like that. I anticipate that some of the changes we have been seeing is to improve global sourcing. For example, eliminating the welded handle on the top lids allows for easier shipping of the lids without a secondary process of attaching the handle.

No, you guys are not imagining things. the porcelain has probably gotten thinner. Check out this article on the Huntley factory: http://money.cnn.com/gallery/news/companies/2012/08/03/weber-grill.fortune/index.html

on pg 4 it show's people spraying the kettle manually. In the past few years the industry has seen alot of headway made in sprayer efficiency and implementation of robotic spraying, so the finish has probably gotten thinner but more consistent.

Here's Weber on How it's made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS1sJ8N734k

Here's a Weber self produced video of the factory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlO6wf3DGOM

In the gas grill factory video, you can see the robots in action at 4:30 http://youtu.be/saMAFBPRSas
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2014, 11:56:59 AM »
I recently seen a Copper at Lowes, was not that impressed. Just IMO. If you have a classic car with an orange peel paint job, I am sure it would be rejected.

I agree with Troy, I have a OT Black top and when I hold the Yellow, to me, it feels like a noticeable weight difference. Grill being early 70's.
There is a thread way back where, Reilly did some weigh tests. There was slight difference, if I remember correctly. But again, I am old...

Buckie, Pantone(R) 876. Be careful it is a registered trade mark. Just Fun'n ya. ;)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2014, 01:05:20 PM »
Now I don't hardly know her
But I think I could love her
Crimson Performer

Over and over...

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »
Dull paint isn't bad all the time.... just sayin'

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2014, 01:39:36 PM »
Agree, there was a time I lusted after a matte black Eddy Merckx road frame. I would not mind a nice new matte black Performer in a brushed stainless frame either.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:43:30 PM by MartyG »

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 02:32:48 PM »
Now I don't hardly know her
But I think I could love her
Crimson Performer

Over and over...
OH, THANKS ONE HELL OF ALOT!!>:(

That will be stuck in my head for the rest of the week!! :D
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Craig

• WKC Mod
Crimson Performer?
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »
Well I'm excited that Weber has offered these new colors. My only beef is that they dropped blue from the lineup. Im sure that color will come back again in a few years. Id like to see a crimson outside in natural light for sure. Either way, I'd cook on it or a copper..

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2014, 03:26:15 PM »
I find it crazy everyone keeps complaining about these new colors.  Is everyone in the world just predisposed to complain about everything?  I'll take one of each and send Weber a thank you note for giving the Weber community fresh colors......I'm sure they will be real excited to keep making new stuff to appease the chorus of complainers.....

Here is a picture of the dull, cheap, crummy redhead they just gave to all the people who have been asking for it for two decades.....Is there anything we can find nice to say anymore?

Brian,

The new colors suck - everyone here knows it.  Why can't Weber offer the same colors in the U.S. that they offer in Europe? Who here would pick the new Crimson or Copper over these colors:

Why should the French be offered better colors than me? From an American company!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2014, 03:28:20 PM »
I have a feeling the boys on the other side of the pond are asking, "why can't we have Crimson!"
I can't wait to see the first person to get a Crimson Performer.   I'd love to see an outdoor photo of it with some thin blue smoke!
Kettle collector AND cooker!