Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Crimson Performer?  (Read 20328 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Crimson Performer?
« on: February 11, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »
Is this it? Not as reflective as the old red, but I have to see one in person before I pass judgement. If this is close to the color, it's not bad.

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
Re: Crimson Performer?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 04:56:36 PM »
Yeah the crimson color is not bad...better than brick red for sure.  here's some more crimson pics from tvwbb guys...

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?45317-PHOTOS-2014-Weber-Charcoal-Grills/page2

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 04:59:10 PM »
I like the picture of all four lines up in a row on the patio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 05:09:26 PM »
Looking at the crimson with the copper and the blue, it makes for a nice color combo. Too bad that they discontinued blue. There's enough room for both crimson and blue. I like that red. Still want to see one in person.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 05:11:23 PM »
Oh and the crimson looks like of an old red that darkens when wicked hot.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 05:24:00 PM by Craig »

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 05:22:19 PM »
Last photos looks identical in color to my brick red performer...
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »

The lighting in that last photo is a little off...must be the fluorescents.  I've seen a crimson otg at Ace...it is a little redder than the brick red performers IMO.

Someone needs to do a side by side!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 05:49:24 PM »
Now they just all need some wood handles!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 05:58:10 PM »

The lighting in that last photo is a little off...must be the fluorescents.  I've seen a crimson otg at Ace...it is a little redder than the brick red performers IMO.

Someone needs to do a side by side!

In colorimetry, metamerism is the matching of apparent color of objects with different spectral power distributions. Colors that match this way are called metamers. A spectral power distribution describes the proportion of total light emitted, transmitted, or reflected by a color sample at every visible wavelength; it precisely defines the light from any physical stimulus. However, the human eye contains only three color receptors (3 types of cone cells), which means that all colors are reduced to three sensory quantities, called the tristimulus values. Metamerism occurs because each type of cone responds to the cumulative energy from a broad range of wavelengths, so that different combinations of light across all wavelengths can produce an equivalent receptor response and the same tristimulus values or color sensation.

Metameric matches are quite common, especially in near neutral (grayed or whitish colors) or dark colors. As colors become lighter or more saturated, the range of possible metameric matches (different combinations of light wavelengths) becomes smaller, especially in surface colors.

Metameric matches made between two light sources provide the trichromatic basis of colorimetry. For any given light stimulus, regardless of the form of its spectral emittance curve, there always exists a unique mixture of three "primary" lights that when added together, or added to the stimulus, will exactly match it.

The basis for nearly all commercially available color image reproduction processes such as photography, television, printing, and digital imaging, is the ability to make metameric color matches. Making metamerism matches using reflective materials is more complex. The appearance of surface colors is defined by the product of the spectral reflectance curve of the material and the spectral emittance curve of the light source shining on it. As a result, the color of surfaces depends on the light source used to illuminate them.

The term illuminant metameric failure is sometimes used to describe situations where two material samples match when viewed under one light source but not another. Most types of fluorescent lights produce an irregular or peaky spectral emittance curve, so that two materials under fluorescent light might not match, even though they are a metameric match to an incandescent "white" light source with a nearly flat or smooth emittance curve. Material colors that match under one source will often appear different under the other.
Normally, material attributes such as translucency, gloss or surface texture are not considered in color matching. However geometric metameric failure can occur when two samples match when viewed from one angle, but then fail to match when viewed from a different angle. A common example is the color variation that appears in pearlescent automobile finishes or "metallic" paper; e.g., Kodak Endura Metallic, Fujicolor Crystal Archive Digital Pearl.

Observer metameric failure can occur because of differences in color vision between observers. The common source of observer metameric failure is colorblindness, but it is also not uncommon among "normal" observers. In all cases, the proportion of long-wavelength-sensitive cones to medium-wavelength-sensitive cones in the retina, the profile of light sensitivity in each type of cone, and the amount of yellowing in the lens and macular pigment of the eye, differs from one person to the next. This alters the relative importance of different wavelengths in a spectral power distribution to each observer's color perception. As a result, two spectrally dissimilar lights or surfaces may produce a color match for one observer but fail to match when viewed by a second observer.

Finally, field-size metameric failure occurs because the relative proportions of the three cone types in the retina vary from the center of the visual field to the periphery, so that colors that match when viewed as very small, centrally fixated areas may appear different when presented as large color areas. In many industrial applications, large field color matches are used to define color tolerances.
The difference in the spectral compositions of two metameric stimuli is often referred to as the degree of metamerism. The sensitivity of a metameric match to any changes in the spectral elements that form the colors depend on the degree of metamerism. Two stimuli with a high degree of metamerism are likely to be very sensitive to any changes in the illuminant, material composition, observer, field of view, and so on. The word metamerism is often incorrectly used to indicate a metameric failure rather than a match, or incorrectly used to describe a situation in which a metameric match is easily degraded by a slight change in conditions, such as a change in the illuminant.

Moral of the story is- Only you can prevent metameric failure!

Source: Wikipedia and MartyG
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 05:58:24 PM »
I have yet to see a copper or crimson in person. Maybe if all this damn snow melts the stores around here will start stocking them. I'd love a side by side photo.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 05:59:16 PM »
Thanks for volunteering to carry your red kettle into your local ace so you can compare!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 06:28:55 PM »
The red isn't bad and I would have to imagine Weber wants to have it's most iconic color available, but it's probably a challenge.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 07:27:58 PM »
I've seen this color, and while the SHADE (or metameric effect if you're PBE) of red is pleasing to the eye, the FINISH absolutely sucks.  It has a flat, yet curiously orange-peeled, lack of shine that looks like somebody painted a regular black kettle with that water-based "Tempera" paint we used to use in grade school.

Sorry, I love the color, but the finish would drive me nuts...  ???   (Guess I'm a sucker for a the shiny finish on a black kettle.)

Having said that..  Max, those colors REALLY look nice together.  Well done!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 07:31:22 PM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

juno

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 09:30:52 AM »
I saw one recently, actually two.  The one at Lowes looked shinier, but it was due to the overhead lighting.  The second one I saw was in a different store with more natural lighting and the color looked rather dull and was a matte finish.  It actually looked sort of brownish.  The copper finish is a matte finish as well.  I did not care much for either finish to be honest.  I had high expectations for the copper, but on the performer, with the new performer look (which I don't care for either)....it just looked rather cheap.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:33:12 AM by juno »

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 09:38:28 AM »
Wouldn't it be cool if the new Crimson color got bright red when it got heated up?  Like in reverse of what the red kettles do now!  Craig, that red one of your's sure is bright.  I like the ones without the darker shaded "mist" ring so much better!
Kettle collector AND cooker!