Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Crimson Performer?  (Read 20329 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: Crimson Performer?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 09:54:46 AM »
For those complaining about the 'finish' on the new Crimsons (and coppers to a degree), I have to agree, and in fact add that it makes them look sort of "thin" and "tinny".  Fundamentally, it looks like a spray job, not a thick porcelain coating.  Just not the same weight to the appearance of older kettles.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 10:00:49 AM »
Are we certain it's actually porcelain in the first place? I wonder if you could use some kind of buffing compound on it to bring up the gloss.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 10:02:18 AM »
For those complaining about the 'finish' on the new Crimsons (and coppers to a degree), I have to agree, and in fact add that it makes them look sort of "thin" and "tinny".  Fundamentally, it looks like a spray job, not a thick porcelain coating.  Just not the same weight to the appearance of older kettles.

interesting, it just dawned on me that THAT is exactly my thought.
The copper didn't feel like a thick porcelain finish. Now i want to buy one just so i can chip it up and see how durable it is.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 10:30:23 AM »
interesting, it just dawned on me that THAT is exactly my thought.
The copper didn't feel like a thick porcelain finish. Now i want to buy one just so i can chip it up and see how durable it is.

I know for a fact that the copper chips. This happened in shipping.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »
thanks for posting that!
Sorry about the chips - is Weber sending a replacement?

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 11:37:56 AM »
Shit, all the kettles chip. I've had it happen to 3 that I purchased NIB - blue, black, and a WSM
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 01:14:43 PM »
thanks for posting that!
Sorry about the chips - is Weber sending a replacement?

I took it back to Lowes and bought a blue kettle online.  I did not like the dull finish on it.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 05:20:19 PM »
I find it crazy everyone keeps complaining about these new colors.  Is everyone in the world just predisposed to complain about everything?  I'll take one of each and send Weber a thank you note for giving the Weber community fresh colors......I'm sure they will be real excited to keep making new stuff to appease the chorus of complainers.....

Here is a picture of the dull, cheap, crummy redhead they just gave to all the people who have been asking for it for two decades.....Is there anything we can find nice to say anymore?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:22:16 PM by zavod44 »
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 05:28:49 PM »
In my case, I ordered the copper based on the pic of a shiny copper kettle on the Lowes website as soon as they became available. I was excited and expecting the glossy finish as pictured. I assumed it would look like the discontinued Target kettles. I appreciate Weber for bringing on new colors but I was not willing to give up $150 for a damaged kettle with a finish I was unhappy with. I still want to see a crimson in person but the two ACE Hardware stores near me do not have them on display.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »
It's not as shiny as the old ones I can tell you that.  I have a ton of old grills from the mid 70's that are not super shiny, and not to mention the finish is very lumpy.  Maybe those would be complained about nowadays.  I will tell you the crimson has as just as much shine as Jeff's original Black Wood Dale with the Solid triangle on the bottom.  I will also tell you I would be happy with either/or both grills...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:51:33 PM by zavod44 »

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 06:42:31 PM »
I bet the new crimson and copper kettles would shine right up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 06:52:14 PM »
I was set to order a crimson performer from Ace. I really just wanted something that wasn't the standard black. When I found the brick red model for $50 less, I went that route. I'm sure I'd have been happy with either.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 07:06:11 PM »
Bottom line, who has a Crimson and does it change color? Just want to know...

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 07:10:57 PM »
My wife just have me a copper otg. I have no real issues with it. I like the color as much as any of mine. Maybe I'm a little biased because I'm into collecting colors. It's my first nib grill and probably the last for a  long time. Personally I enjoy the character of a older grill. I like cleaning it up and putting it back to use. If a new crimson shows up and cl or a garage sale I'd go for it.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »
If I recall the brick red weren't that shiny either

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk