Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Crimson Performer?  (Read 20349 times)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Crimson Performer?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 07:21:20 PM »
My wife just have me a copper otg. I have no real issues with it. I like the color as much as any of mine. Maybe I'm a little biased because I'm into collecting colors. It's my first nib grill and probably the last for a  long time. Personally I enjoy the character of a older grill. I like cleaning it up and putting it back to use. If a new crimson shows up and cl or a garage sale I'd go for it.

Is your camera broke?  Don't make me come up there!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 07:23:59 PM »
If I recall the brick red weren't that shiny either

You recall correctly...and I'm okay with it.  8)
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 07:46:50 PM »
My wife just have me a copper otg. I have no real issues with it. I like the color as much as any of mine. Maybe I'm a little biased because I'm into collecting colors. It's my first nib grill and probably the last for a  long time. Personally I enjoy the character of a older grill. I like cleaning it up and putting it back to use. If a new crimson shows up and cl or a garage sale I'd go for it.

Is your camera broke?  Don't make me come up there!

I had to hurry putting it together and realized after I didn't have just a shot of the grill. Oh well people in the frame make pictures more interesting. :)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 07:53:48 PM »
As my bride would say "What good is the picture without somebody in it." Great looking daughters, I feel sorry for you in 10 years Ted. Just greet dates with a conceal and carry, revealed.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 03:00:09 AM »
My brick red is more a matte finish than super glossy, but I still love the way it looks and cooks.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 06:20:30 AM »
Brian.

I like the crimson color.  The copper is fine too.  But there is something thin about the new kettles, which is what I am "complaining" about.  They just have this "sprayed" appearance as opposed to a "dipped enamel" appearance.  I am not sure if it is all related to the finish, or if the stock is thinner too.  I just don't know, and don't pretend to have all the answers.  So if that's "complaining", I am ok with that I guess and will be a "complainer".

My work horse green M/T is not shiney, but it is stout.  I have this sinking feeling that newer products are just marginally less robust than the previous ones.  I hope it is just a personal case of "Grumpy Old Man" syndrome, but ever since the lids changed to "Engineered in ....",  the grills  don't seem as substantial.

For the record, so that I am clear, I would be glad to test this theory on a new Crimson Performer if someone wants to drop one off here.

Also, get off my lawn.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 07:05:44 AM »
Also, get off my lawn.

Funniest post ever.  I probably chuckled at three different times.

That aside, I do agree with G$.   I can't put my finger on it exactly, but something is up over at Weber.   At least their customer service is willing to stand behind their kettles..........for now.    ::)
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 07:26:07 AM »
There's no doubt the newer kettles are thinner, top and bowl. Some of my old beasts weigh a ton. Gerd, we'd get along great as two grumpy old men...and I'm only 39! My wife teases me all the time about it...and if you ever saw my lawn you bet you'd get yelled at to stay off it!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2014, 07:48:26 AM »
Hmmm? Can anyone say  ....Made in China?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2014, 08:07:33 AM »
we'd get along great as two grumpy old men...and I'm only 39!

Ditto.   But it feels like 89 most days.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 09:02:01 AM »
They are actually made about ten miles from my house.  For the record I don't live in China.  Okay maybe they aren't as thick as the older grills, so what?  Thinner by what .010?   Do we think ten thousands of extra metal will help cook your hot dog better?  Prob make no difference.  It's not like they are cast iron and they retain heat.  It's a sheet metal container to hold charcoal.  I think the new colors are welcome and I can't wait to get them....Let's all chill, try to be positive about new Weber stuff they will continue to give us new stuff.   We don't need negativity.  It's like the stainless performer, everybody bitched about the new plastic table....personally I love mine, and I like more than my SS perf.  That's just me.  I feel the whole cart on the new performer is 100% better than the stainless.  The tubular steel feels solid.  The cart doesn't rot out. There isn't a weird handle in the middle of my workspace, I think it's better.  That's just how I am. 

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:14:30 AM by zavod44 »

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2014, 09:11:51 AM »
They are actually made about ten miles from my house.  For the record I don't live in China.  Okay maybe they aren't as thick as the older grills, so what?  It's not like they are cast iron and they retain heat.  It's a sheet metal container to hold charcoal.  I think the new colors are welcome and I can't wait to get them....

From this:  http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-27/weber-grills-mostly-made-in-america-by-private-equity

Weber-Stephen has changed more in the past decade than it did in the previous half-century. It contracted to have grills built in China to go with production in Huntley and Palatine. It agreed to stop labeling products “Made in USA” to settle a class-action lawsuit that accused it of buying components from China and Taiwan suppliers. (The company denied wrongdoing.)

When I was talking to the local guy that is buddies with the Weber rep, he mentioned China spun products.  The point is not that grills and components are NOT made in Illinois, it is that they ARE also made elsewhere.   To be clear, I have no idea where any particular performer, Crimson or otherwise, was made.  (The local guy thought many or most Euro grills came from China - I do not consider his opinion as fact or anything close to it).  But I do think the quality has 'changed', and that is probably not a good thing, and it is ok to say so.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 09:18:09 AM »
Saying something changed and it's probably not good is not is pure conjecture.   I don't follow that logic. 

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 09:22:09 AM »
Saying something changed and it's probably not good is not is pure conjecture.   I don't follow that logic. 

To say something changed (it did)  and that I do not like it (I don't)  is not conjecture, it is opinion formed from a fact.

By the way, I also think plastic handles suck.  Wood ones are freaking WAAAYYY better.    (Handles changed: fact;  they suck: opinion)   
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:24:30 AM by G$ »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2014, 10:05:33 AM »

"Do we think ten thousands of extra metal will help cook your hot dog better?"  

.... I smell a tagline....... 8)

Personally, I think thickness counts......

I scraped down below the 3/16" of scrud in the bottom of one the smokers ( the ones that run @ 260 indefinitely) the other day and lo & behold.....pristine porcelain.....thickness counts.....and it protects...... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"