Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Maverick ET-732  (Read 9008 times)

HalfGrilled

• WKC Brave
Maverick ET-732
« on: September 04, 2013, 07:49:26 PM »
Just asking everyone's thoughts and experience with the 732   Would you buy again or something else? I have owned a unit since last December. I had a failed probe in the Spring and Maverick customer service was swift  and apologetic to replace it. Very pleasant experience. Now tonight, any probe I have reports a different ambient temp when plugged into either side of the unit. Side 2, pit temp reports 15 degrees higher than side 1, food. With the same probe. Not sure if I should try another brand or try make my case to Maverick again.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
Re: Maverick ET-732
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 07:54:31 PM »
I have 2 ET-732's and an ET-75. Probably just jinxing myself now but I have never had an issue with any of them. In fact i was thinking of buying a red one and a black one just because they look cool!

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
WHOA! Red Maverick

I love my 732. but after seeing the red one, I'm hoping mine dies so i can replace it!!!!

colin.p

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 03:31:42 AM »
I have never owned a Maverick, (I did have a remote thermometer, that was given to me by a Schneider's sales rep, that worked a few times until the probe quit. I actually found the thing to be a PITA), and if I did own one I might think otherwise. However, I just use an oven thermometer ($5) and peak at it through the vent. No remote capabilities of course, but still works fine, and nothing to break.

That being said I would still like a good remote thermometer, like the Maverick, for those times I'm "away" from the kettle, but really, unless I'm cooking overnight (never even tried) the grate thermometer is all I really need, so far.
2009 Weber Spirit E310, 2013 22.5 OTG and a bunch of Weber stuff
I like my Weber's the same as my Ford's and Harley's, any colour, as long as it's black.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 05:12:03 AM »
HalfGrilled, I've had similar experiences with Maverick (both the first-gen and the 732).  They have cheerfully replaced both my pit and food thermos, and the troubles continue.  I currently have the food thermo giving me error messages, but the pit probe works great.  Fortunately, I don't need much more than the pit probe for overnight cooks (the only time I use my Maverick).  It's great that they replace broken stuff, but it's still a PITA since I don't typically realize stuff is broken until the fire is lit and the food is ready. 

One lesson I learned along the way is to NEVER let the probes get wet.  But even with my assiduously keeping them dry, I continue to have problems, perhaps because of the moist environment of the WSM. 

So I'm kinda conflicted:  I don't know how I'd live without my Maverick, but I'm not sure what I could replace it with, either.  Maybe I'll call their CS about the food probe today and hope for the best. 
One of the charcoal people.

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
    • Civil Response Firearms Training
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 05:41:28 AM »
I've had a few different ones over the years and the Maverick ET-732 has been great every time I've used it. Easy to 'pair' with the remote unit, accurate (far as I can tell) and reliable (not to mention it looks great).

I also want a red one, but for now the black is pretty sexy. :)

... now if someone would come out with wireless probes ...

Bosibus

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 06:15:04 AM »
I have had to replace my pit thermo but it is great.  Well worth the price.

Doug S.

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 06:44:51 AM »
I have (2) 732's I know for a fact: you can not let them get wet.
Don't run the wire between the kettle and the lid, and do not run it through the vent  8) Don't ask me how I know  >:( Just don't do those 3 and you should have no problems

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 06:49:58 AM »
I also have a fairly new 732 and the stock 3' probes both shit the bed on me (different times)
Maverick sent me 2 new 6' probes which have been trouble free,,, so far.  When it works, it's friggin awesome. 
I'm just hoping the 6' probes hold up better then the 3'
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 06:58:59 AM »
I've had a red Oregon Scientific AW131 for a few years now. The only probe failure was caused by a buddy who borrowed it for his home brewing. Never had a problem with it or the replacement probe myself. However, it is a single probe unit. I recently picked up a red Thermapen and then ran across a white Maverick et-732 on sale at Ace Hardware. After coupon it was $39.99, so I popped on it. I havent actually used it yet, but i like the feature set. Hopefully it holds up. I have to admit the new colors look better (Amazon has at least white, red, black & gray), but I got a pretty good deal, so I'm happy.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:23:43 AM by cbpeck »

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 07:03:38 AM »
I have an ET-73 and ET-732 (in black ;) ) and am happy with both. The cooker probe on the ET-732 went south after a couple cooks and Maverick customer service replaced it promptly (with a 6 foot probe.)
kettles, smokers...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 07:46:40 AM »
I should clarify a couple of things:

1.  The Maverick is AMAZING when the probes are working.  A really long range, nice alarms for overnight cooks, accurate and awesome.

2.  Maverick Customer Service is very kind, totally trusting, and are quick about sending out replacements.  It's just that replacements are inconvenient when they are not on hand for cooks, and I'm afraid that their CS department will eventually cut off my supply of replacement probes. 

3.  I've never put my probe wires through a lid or a vent.  I have a grommet in the side of my WSM  and they go right through there. 
One of the charcoal people.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
Maverick ET-732
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 08:06:10 AM »
I love mine. Nothing but good things to say.
A Wonderful Family!!!

ROB_STANG2000

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 08:30:01 AM »
I love mine and recommend it to anyone who likes to grill or smoke meat
Proud owner of a Lime Green22.5, Red 22.5 silver, Black 22.5 Silver 18.5 custom , two smoky Joes witch one has been converted to a custom smoker,  a Weber Summit Silver, and a UDS.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 08:49:19 AM »
Not sure about not getting them wet, mine has sat out in the rain several times... never failed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2