Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone try new Jumbo Joe?  (Read 6749 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: Anyone try new Jumbo Joe?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 11:04:59 AM »
Well, I guess I will go against the grain here - I bought a JJ for my R.V. as well.  It fits perfectly in my "cooking compartment".  I bought it for the size - I really wanted an 18" grill that I could use on my dutch oven table.  The JJ fits the bill perfectly.  I have used it a dozen times now, and have not had any issues with it.  Below is a Paella that I recently cooked using my JJ.

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 03:14:37 PM »
I like the old JJ/SJP. Especially when they have One Touch sweepers...  ;)

BBQ Breath

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »
Thanks for the opinions!

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 04:32:46 PM »
I will also say, I have the new one and the size is great. Of all the detractors, the only one I also dislike is the top damper being a screw on. It works fine and there is no problem adjusting the screw to get the feel you like. I just think the top rivet works a little nicer. As far as the lid being squashed, it seems almost identical to the current 18's. I also like the fact that the parts are interchangeable with the 18's.

I think it works well overall.

BBQ Breath

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 03:01:45 AM »
I can overlook the design flaws because It meets what I want to use it for. I am more interested in folks experience cooking on them. The common thought is that the coals will be too close to the cooking grate? has this been the case?

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 05:01:30 AM »
Well, I don't know what the actual measurement is for distance but I can tell you from cooking on it, the distance is far enough to get banked coals in order to provide for different levels of heat across the cooking serface. I can say I have been able to successfully cook on it but at the same time I have not tryed to do anything to fancy with it. I don't know if that helps you much but I have no problem cooking with it for the basic cooking I use it for. Anything more demanding, I break out the 22.5!

outofbounds

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 11:58:43 AM »
I've had a jumbo joe (old model) for over ten years and it is awesome to take tailgating and camping.  Cooks great.  With the 4 kids out of the house, I use it all the time for me and the wife.  Direct cooking or indirect cooking.  Fun!  BTW: I have 22.5", Smokey Joe(s), and the Weber Ranch Kettle. 

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »
I bought my '98 JJ because it came to me in a grocery store parking lot, and I heard all of the conventional wisdom about the side-vents making them poor cookers so my expectations were low.  But I gotta say that I have used it almost exclusively for roasting via indirect heat, and it's worked really, really well.

I've looked at the newer JJs (because I'm looking for a portable charcoal grill for an RVing friend), and the thing seems entirely too short.   But I could be entirely wrong about that, too.
One of the charcoal people.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 08:08:57 PM »
i'm tempted to pick one up. I agree the quality isn't the same (handle, vents) - but I think I can get over the 'squish' factor.

It'll be different than what I'm used to, but I think I can manage. Heck, even cooking on a 22 vs 18 is quite different already...

I'd rather hold out for an old, colored jumbo joe, or heck, even a colored 18 that i can convert to a mini or a jj...
But if summer comes and I don't have anything, i'll pick up a new jumbo.

I have a charcoal go-anywhere - but i'm not a fan. Too small for my cooks.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 08:09:26 PM »
Ever see that scene in Pee Wee's Big Adventure when he has to save all the pets in the burning pet shop and each time he runs past the snakes he makes a "gagging" sound? Eventually he has to grab the snakes. The new JJ makes me think of the snakes in the pet shop when I see them in an Ace. So who knows, maybe someday I'll finally have to grab one. Much later!  ;D I really don't mean to offend anyone that has the newer JJ's. They're just not my cup of tea. On the other hand, the SJP's could use a rework by adding daisy wheels to the bottom. I'm going to mod my black one this spring.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:13:05 PM by Craig »

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 04:03:30 AM »
If you don't "NEED" one right now, then put off picking one up until next fall.  I bought my JJ at Target this past year when they started blowing out all of their grilling stock at the end of the season.  I think I paid around $18-19 for it.  At that price, its worth the gamble to see if it works for you. 

So far, all I have really used mine for is searing and appetizers a few times.  We also used it for tailgating once where I cooked a handful of burgers and some sausage.  For those applications, it has worked awesome.  It would be a great tailgater/travel grill though.  The Weber mini chimney fits inside perfectly.  When tailgating.......I tossed some newspaper in the bottom of the grill, then the charcoal grate.  Then filled the charcoal grate with Kingsford blue, tossed in the cooking grate (a new hinged grate I also picked up from Target for next to nothing), followed by the mini chimney and a pack of matches.  Close the lid, lock the bail, and presto.......a perfect self contained travel grill.  I don't use it much, but I'm glad I bought it.
-Keith

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 04:39:38 AM »
Mine is still sitting in the box, never used. I picked it up for ~$25 so I figured why not grab it.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

lemisfits

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 03:33:33 PM »
I've used it once.  It do like the size compared to the SJ.  The one benefit is that you can get a hinged grate which the smokey joe doesn't offer.  When I added coals to the smokey joe, I had to lift the whole grate and a couple times food had fallen off when adding more coals.
Looking for a lime or imperial blue...in my dreams.

Paul Isa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 04:25:24 AM »
I've had the new jj since they first were introduced. It's my go to grill when it's just the wife and I.  I put a lid thermometer on it and am able to cook at below 300 temps for several hours when The bottom vent is partially closed.  I am very pleased with the jj.  I plan on getting a second one for the camper.