Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone try new Jumbo Joe?  (Read 6726 times)

BBQ Breath

• Smokey Joe
Anyone try new Jumbo Joe?
« on: July 24, 2013, 02:59:58 PM »
I do lots of RV camping and have a Weber baby Q 100 for burgers and stuff. I am thinking of getting a Jumbo Joe but have seen negative comments on WKC. Has anyone cooked on one? I love my 22.5 OTG but it gets old toting it around.  thanks.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Anyone try new Jumbo Joe?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 08:45:41 PM »
I have not used one but I am interested in what those who have say. I am considering a JJ or an 18.5 to compliment my 22.5 OTG.

Test...Test... Is this thing on???

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 08:50:45 PM »
I have not cooked on a new JJ.

If I found one, I might smash it.

If I wanted a portable 18, i would get an old JJ or do the stubby 18 mod.  In fact, that is what I did: i have an 18 OTG with a spare set of short legs for portablizing.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »
I have not cooked on a new JJ.

If I wanted a portable 18, i would get an old JJ or do the stubby 18 mod.  In fact, that is what I did: i have an 18 OTG with a spare set of short legs for portablizing.

Here Here!  :D

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:43:33 PM »
I like my Smokey Joe Platinum. I'm not a fan of the new JJ. I would find a SJP. They come across CL often.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 11:01:18 PM »
I don't get it. What's wrong with the new JJ?

Sent from another planet using Mental Telepathy.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:31:02 AM by Jocool »
If it breathes, we can cook it!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 04:25:56 AM »
???
kettles, smokers...

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 04:35:11 AM »
I am not sure about the new ones, but I do have the old style JJ. I have used it only once, was not that satisfied with a cover on cook. I don't think there is enough air, with the side vent above the coals. The new style actually might be more efficient with the air flow from the bottom.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 04:38:19 AM »
I've found the old ones great for roasting
I bet the new one is great for grilling and roasting
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 06:19:40 AM »
I don't get it. What's wrong with the new JJ?

Sent from another planet using Mental Telepathy.

I've never cooked on one, so I can't say how it cooks.  It is lighter than the old one, and apparently was caught in a "HULK SMASH" moment:

???  ::)  :-X  :'(
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:26:23 AM by G$ »

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 06:28:38 AM »
Here are some reasons I dislike the new JJ. I believe these gripes at shared by others.

- The top & bottom vents are loosely attached with bolts, not riveted. They have a lot of play and feel cheap. They are also likely to require occasional maintenance to keep the screws tight enough.
- Handle is not welded to the lid. It is either riveted or bolted, and doesn't look as nice.
- The bowl contour is shared (I believe) with the euro compact kettle. The shape isn't as elegant, but it does move the food and charcoal grates closer together. This can be a good thing if you're cooking directly.

Regarding the side vents on the current sjg & the former sjp, they do take a bit of time getting used to, but once you figure out how it works very satisfactory results can be achieved.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 06:31:42 AM »

Oh My.......oh my........ :o

I've never cooked on one, so I can't say how it cooks.  It is lighter than the old one, and apparently was caught in a "HiULK SMASH" moment:

???  ::)  :-X  :'(

Even though a lowly critter, it's still a Weber product.....where's the love, man?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 08:14:26 AM »

[/quote]

Even though a lowly critter, it's still a Weber product.....where's the love, man?
[/quote]

Along with the above comments. The assembly of the lid holder chips the porcelain and doesn't work smoothly to lock the lid. Over time all you do is destroy the finish. As for "Love", as much as we love Weber grills we also have the right to tell them when they made Junk. This goes for the Junko Joe
2000 Simpson OTG, 2010 22.5 WSM, 98 SS Perfomer, Q100, Q200, Smoken Bucky UDS, 1983 WGA, 1995 Red Master Touch, Early 70's Red Statesman
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Snap-On Wrench Smokey Joe

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 08:54:06 AM »
da Bluesman gets it!

and further on the "IMO" spectrum, the big W has made some items of questionable utility, such as the candle lanterns, that are still very endearing.  They are neat, quaint, fun, desirable.

This thing is an abomination..... (just like the "new" full surface plastic wheels).  (IMO, YMMV,JMHO etc etc!)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 09:07:06 AM »
Don't get me completely wrong.....I think I likened it to a "TOAD" when we were 1st talking about it aways back........ :o

the older rollers on the MasterTouch kinda do that same damage......not as bad, but possible......

i wonder if we have enough pull around here to say, send in a petition & get them to, then, see the error of their ways....?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"