Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling “season”  (Read 9462 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Grilling “season”
« on: November 20, 2023, 05:36:06 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Grilling “season”
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 03:26:23 AM »
always bbq season
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 05:54:05 AM »
When winter is coming the Summit just gets moved closer to the back door. Not because of needing to clear a path to it, but so the food is still warm by the time it gets into the house.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 06:56:35 AM »
For me - during the winter the SSP and Summit get the most use due to the gas assist ignition.  Nice to rotate the ash sweep, dump in some charcoal and hit the button.  I also position my grilling hoodies close to the door for convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 08:01:57 PM »
The Bone Shack is a 12x12 shed with a 12x12 covered area to smoke grill and roast coffee 365!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2023, 12:44:47 PM »
@swamprb, Smoke on my friend!!!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 06:15:27 AM »
For me - during the winter the SSP and Summit get the most use due to the gas assist ignition.  Nice to rotate the ash sweep, dump in some charcoal and hit the button.  I also position my grilling hoodies close to the door for convenience.

Same setup for me.  I have my patio arranged for maximum light from the floods.  Lack of light is worse than cold.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2023, 12:52:53 PM »

Same setup for me.  I have my patio arranged for maximum light from the floods.  Lack of light is worse than cold.

Agree, have my battery powered magnetic lights ready as well.

Got the SSP cleaned and ready for winter service today.

cdp8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2023, 05:31:18 PM »
Light is definitely the most important thing. But then I do live in SoCal.

Dadkc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2023, 11:04:48 PM »
Hi folks, here in our neighborhood of 55 plus, we have a very nice couple, getting on in age. Seems he’s ready to give up smoking and grilling. The generous person that he is offered his Big Green Egg if I could use it. I was thrilled, absolutely! Along with many accessories, cookbooks, and a bag of lump it made its way to my cook shack. Now I’ll be watching for tips and tricks to hone my skills, and I’ll sure be sending some of those skills their way. Thank you Harold and Cheryl.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2023, 03:01:23 AM »

Hi folks, here in our neighborhood of 55 plus, we have a very nice couple, getting on in age. Seems he’s ready to give up smoking and grilling. The generous person that he is offered his Big Green Egg if I could use it. I was thrilled, absolutely! Along with many accessories, cookbooks, and a bag of lump it made its way to my cook shack. Now I’ll be watching for tips and tricks to hone my skills, and I’ll sure be sending some of those skills their way. Thank you Harold and Cheryl.

Congratulations!  What a cool gesture… I don’t talk much about my kamados here since they’re not Webers, but I do share a cook every now and then.  You’ll love it I’m sure once learned.  The methods are somewhat different and I did have some frustration early on.  The best advice I can give is to be patient, give it time to come to temp - sometimes takes 45 minutes to an hour to get heat soaked and achieve clean smoke - before introducing food.  My first cooks tasted much too smoky and we weren’t happy with results until I insisted on waiting for clean smoke and raising temps to the 260-275F range. 

Have fun and share often!  Most everyone here has been gracious and accepting of my shared Kamado posts.  We can all learn from various methods of cooking and apply what we learn to kettles as well.