Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question  (Read 4843 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Question
« on: December 16, 2020, 09:03:04 PM »
Just picked up a 2005 18 wsm with 2 new bags of Kingsford pro for 60. The wsm is complete but needs a deep cleaning.

We all have multiple cookers. I have my 22 and 18 set ups diled in for pork butt using the snake.

My question is, do you wsm owners souly use your wsm for smoking 100% of the time its called for or do you still use your kettles ?

Just one of those things like I want a wsm but do I need one. Cuz they are fairly easy to flip. Im crazy I know lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

blu082003

• WKC Brave
Question
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 09:23:49 PM »
Honestly I love my wsm. And that is my preferred smoking method. It’s so easy and everything comes out delicious. I haven’t smoked on my kettle since. Of course I still love my kettle but anything over 1hr is on the wsm.
You’re right about being easy to flip. If I ever see one under 100$ I get it clean it and flip usually for 100+ of profit.
I’d say smoke a pork butt/do a spatchcock chicken/ribs. Then if you don’t think it’s better than the kettle then flip it, but I think you’ll love the wsm.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:29:02 PM by blu082003 »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Question
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 10:33:36 PM »
I love cooking on my WSM as well.  It's my go to for most rib and pulled pork cooks.  I still smoke on a kettle (quite a few options there) - mostly when on vacation and the WSM is back at home.  I agree with blu, clean it up, cook on it a few times and if it's not your cup of tea sell it in the spring and get paid for your efforts.  I've also done chuck roasts and various bbq chicken recipes on the WSM that have all turned out really good.  You might check out T-Roy Cooks and Phil N Florence videos on youtube and see what they've done with theirs in the past.  Modifications are also a lot of fun on these if you're into that.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Question
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 04:04:01 AM »
I never use my WSM for low and slow smoking.  Clean up was too much of a PITA for me.  I found that I had to completely disassemble the WSM after each cook to clean out the ashes, and pretty cumbersome to always need extra space for the lid and mid-section.  Don’t even get me started on the “water” pan.  I’ve had all the WSM sizes in various setups and settled on a 22”  on top of an SSP with gas assist.  Using the one-touch to dispose of ashes eliminates the need to break down the entire cooker and adding a lid hinge further reduces the footprint.  Obviously the gas assist is pretty convenient too.  I predominantly use my WSM for hanging- and Hoosier-style cooks. 

I use a 26 or Ranch for low and slow smoking. 

Good discussion.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 04:48:40 AM »
Plus one for what Charlie said. I use it to hang ribs and cook on the top grate without water pan.

All of my pork butt and brisket cooks are on the kettles. Normally the 26”

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 08:57:16 AM »
Thanks fellas. I guess I'll put some elbow grease into it and grab a pork shoulder (since they are forgiving when tuning a setup) and go from there.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 10:37:27 AM »
I use my 18 wsm for hanging ribs and pork butts mainly.   Pork butts just work well in the 18 wsm to me.  Briskets go on 26 or ranch.   

I use my wsm more in the winter once the vintage stuff goes to the barn.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 12:45:08 PM »
I love my WSM. I’ve got a 22 and use it for Hoosier-style cooks all the time, nothing like being able to throw on some ribs for a quick cook.
If I’m only doing one butt, the Chief gets the call, but anything larger than that, it’s the WSM. I don’t like having to add coal during a cook, and I can fill the charcoal ring and easily get 15+ hours low and slow. Plus it runs overnight and I never have to worry about it.
As far as clean up, the water pan is a  PITA, so I’ve gone to putting a couple of disposable pans on the lower shelf and just throw them away after the cook. I can get lots of cooks in before I actually need to empty the ashes.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 06:11:36 PM »
I'm probably gonna keep it a while. I think im gonna do the usual mods, barrel handles, hinge and im interested in the lava lock door but its 130 for the stainless one. So I might do a cajun door.

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 06:13:02 PM »
I love my WSM 22 inch. Cook several butts at once overnight with thermoworks temp control and blower. Recently followed Troy cooks hot n fast brisket on  5.5 hour cook and it was terrific. I'm somewhat of a novice compared to a lot of the guys here on the forum. So I'm always reading what they say and practising. For my ribs, I only do two tracks at a time, and they go on my 26.  They cooked best in the WSM, but I use less fuel and get great results in the 26. Now I have a dunked chicken recipe for the WSM too..I love as 'll my Weber products.  You just can't go wrong. I'll second what has been stated here, and I think you said this too, just buy it and try it. There's always a market if you decide to flip it.  Good luck friend.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Big B’s BBQ

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 05:39:44 AM »
I have a 22 WSM and a 22” Master touch. I love them both.  I found for small cooks I prefer using my 22” kettle with the slow & sear, using the snake method. It works great and it’s quite a bit faster. Clean up is also much easier.
Big B’s BBQ
Faith & Fear both demand you believe in something you cannot see; You Choose

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 06:57:25 AM »
I have never smoked on my kettles, and I have never grilled on my WSM. I have never opened a can with a screwdriver; although I'm sure I could, as long as I have a can opener, I see no need to try it.

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 07:04:55 AM »
loosen your tie and live a little [emoji6]

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 07:19:51 AM »
Just kidding Dsorgnzd - im not advocating holding your car bumper on with duct tape but the “country boy” in me has to try sometimes before eventually getting the right tool for the job. and sometimes I don’t have to get one - God bless ya

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 08:23:14 PM »
WSM for smoking : 18 for pork butts and 22 for full brisket and full racks of ribs. Kettle for steaks, burgers, etc.

What Is Hoosier-style cooking I keep seeing mentioned ? Is it cooking pulled pork in a crock pot ?  ???
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado