Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Upgrades from Hunsaker  (Read 589 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Upgrades from Hunsaker
« on: February 05, 2021, 03:43:54 AM »
So I am looking to upgrade my WSM this year and I am loving the products that Hunsaker sells.  Anyone have experience they want to share?

The vortex plate, the griddle (for a 22 kettle), and the floating hinge all look like excellent products.  Thoughts?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Upgrades from Hunsaker
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 04:08:35 AM »
Curious about this too, they’ve got a nice upgrade package, that’s pretty reasonably priced too. The one I’ve been eyeing has the vortex plate, griddle, and hanging system.
Is there much difference between hanging and just going top grate no water pan.
For some reason Jeff you were the person I was thinking of that had been using their products, guess I was wrong, oh and “welcome back”!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 05:01:24 AM »

Curious about this too, they’ve got a nice upgrade package, that’s pretty reasonably priced too. The one I’ve been eyeing has the vortex plate, griddle, and hanging system.
For some reason Jeff you were the person I was thinking of that had been using their products, guess I was wrong, oh and “welcome back”!

As far as ribs, there is a difference. Ribs laid flat and no water pan will dry out easily and need turning. Not really ideal. You can get away with a rib rack and no water pan which mimics hanging to an extent. But there really isn’t a substitute for true hanging ribs. Not saying they are better or worse than normally cooked ribs but they are unique.

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
Upgrades from Hunsaker
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 05:31:36 AM »

I haven’t noticed much of a difference in flavor  or cooking between hanging or laying flat directly over charcoal. You’ll get a old school pit barbecue flavor this way which IMO is hard to beat. One thing to keep in mind is 275 degree indirect heat is different than 275 direct heat. You’ll need to rotate your rack every 30 minutes or your hanging kit and expect the ribs to cook a lot faster. I recently sold my Wsm and hanging kit and got a gateway drum. Nothing beats the flavor of that fat dripping on hot coals so I’m not sure how I would like the vortex plate.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 05:44:26 AM by sonofabutcher »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 05:45:57 AM »
I was considering the Hunsaker plate last year when upgrading my WSM but went with the firedial instead.  I didn't like the idea of not being able to open my door and add coals or wood chunks to the fire without lifting that plate off.  I also like to occasionally poke the fire or move coals around during a cook and this seemed like it would limit my abilities to play with the fire (which I like to do).  The firedial has been great for me, although it does sit higher an may limit your rib hanging abilities.  Maybe with the rib hanging rack there would be enough clearance due to the raised hanger.  I'd like to try one of those hangers for sure - both of their offerings look really nice.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Upgrades from Hunsaker
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 10:59:05 AM »
No longer own a wsm since i prefer using a stacker but the form factor of their hanging rack is excellent.  Made my own diffuser out of 10 gauge stainless.

Up to 6 ribs can fit in the center

Enough room for 12 ribs around the perimeter.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:03:23 AM by Jules V. »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 04:34:09 AM »

So I have a hanging rack that I bought from gateway drum smokers but I don't have the other stuff.   like the package deal for the 18 WSM but I would like to swap the 18 griddle for a 22.  I may reach out and see what that would run me.  I think the hangin rack is superior to others I have seen out there.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 04:37:40 AM »
With these plates, what about the idea that is the air circulates better in the chamber?  I also like the idea of ditching the water pan.

magic mike

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 07:13:38 PM »
I purchased the WSM Upgrade Value pack (https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/weber-modifications/products/wsm-upgrade-value-pack?variant=28377172934740) for one of my 22" WSMs.  I got it during the holidays when they had it for $99, shipping included. 

With the rib ring sitting on my Cajun Bandit stacker I think it'll be the perfect solution for capacity (10-15 or more racks of ribs) and ease of cook (ribs far from heat source + diffuser to prevent burning).  Will update once I get it fired up.

MANCHAS2020

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 04:46:51 AM »
I purchased the WSM Upgrade Value pack (https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/weber-modifications/products/wsm-upgrade-value-pack?variant=28377172934740) for one of my 22" WSMs.  I got it during the holidays when they had it for $99, shipping included. 

With the rib ring sitting on my Cajun Bandit stacker I think it'll be the perfect solution for capacity (10-15 or more racks of ribs) and ease of cook (ribs far from heat source + diffuser to prevent burning).  Will update once I get it fired up.

Do you think the above will work using the Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Ring with a GateWay Rib Hanger?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 04:49:18 AM by MANCHAS2020 »