Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Preferred WSM Lid Hinge  (Read 645 times)

Babekyu

• Smokey Joe
Preferred WSM Lid Hinge
« on: March 17, 2021, 11:51:34 AM »
Hi,

Going to mod my 22"WSM with a hinge for the lid.  Which one is preferred?  The first two cost about the same, while the third is considerably cheaper:

https://bbqsmokermods.com/weber-smokey-mountain-lid-hinge-wsm-by-unknown-bbq.html\
https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/weber-modifications/products/stainless-steel-wsm-hinge-clip?variant=2187258920981
https://www.chargriller.com/collections/parts/products/hood-hinge#

Does the addition of a hinge impact the use of the stock cover?

Thank you.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 03:00:20 AM by Babekyu »
Weber Spirit/Weber Kettle 22" Black (AA-2011)/Weber Performer Black/Weber SS Performer Red Mist (EE-1999)/Weber Smokey Mountain 22" Black - 3"casters/unknown bbq hinge/lavalock vent handles (4) - Sold

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Preferred WSM Lid Hinge
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 05:34:21 AM »
I have the first one and it works well.  I really like having the ability to quickly pull the pin to pull the lid off for pre-cook prep and cleaning.  Then it can be re-attached easily by putting the lid in place and popping the pin in.  Having the hinge makes using the WSM a pleasure for me - along with my other mods.  As far as the cover, mine would not fit after adding the hinge - but I also added handles and a lavalock door which was the main reason for needing a larger cover.  Yours might fit ok if the hinge mod is all you're adding.

Best of luck!

Babekyu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 02:04:37 AM »
@bamakettles - I'm liking the first one more and more.  I think the pros outweigh the cons.  I'd rather have the ability to remove the lid completely for reasons you stated, and others, than not.  I also feel that it would be more stable than the second one.  While the third is much cheaper, it seems like it would be difficult to remove the lid, not to mention potentially having to bend the lip of the barrel in two places for proper fitment, although I've read that others have modded the mod to get around that.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 02:22:57 AM by Babekyu »
Weber Spirit/Weber Kettle 22" Black (AA-2011)/Weber Performer Black/Weber SS Performer Red Mist (EE-1999)/Weber Smokey Mountain 22" Black - 3"casters/unknown bbq hinge/lavalock vent handles (4) - Sold

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 04:34:22 AM »
@bamakettles - I'm liking the first one more and more.  I think the pros outweigh the cons.  I'd rather have the ability to remove the lid completely for reasons you stated, and others, than not.  I also feel that it would be more stable than the second one.  While the third is much cheaper, it seems like it would be difficult to remove the lid, not to mention potentially having to bend the lid of the barrel in two places for proper fitment, although I've read that other have modded the mod to get around that.

Thank you.

You bet.  One thing worth mentioning is that for me it takes two hands to lower the lid back down when raised in the open/locked position.  That's the main complaint of this hinge, but being on a 22" it's not a huge deal since there are two handles you can grab.  I've read that guys with the 18" WSM have a hard time closing the lid.  Perfect world would be something spring loaded that raises and lowers with one hand, but that could take away the easy removal aspect of this hinge.

Babekyu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 01:25:24 PM »
I ended up going with the unknown bbq hinge, and the grill cover still fits just fine. I also added some vent handles.  I am very happy with both mods.  I thought I would add some garage door handles for the center section,  but I changed my mind.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 05:32:58 AM »
Nice job!  There are so many upgrades you can do to a WSM to make them more convenient to use.  You'll enjoy those mods for sure.