Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anybody affected by Coronavirus yet?  (Read 21674 times)

getlego

• WKC Brave
Re: Anybody affected by Coronavirus yet?
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2020, 10:13:41 PM »

We have two young kids & another one due in about a month.  The kids were coughing for a couple days late last week, early this week, which makes you wonder in the back of your mind.  Yesterday, I started coughing & googled "dry cough" as I heard that was one of the symptoms, but I didn't know what exactly it meant.  I've never been so damn happy to have phlegm in my throat when coughing as when I looked up what dry cough meant (I was guessing it involved a lack of mucus, but wasn't 100% certain). 

The wife had a doctor's appointment last week & her doctor's office is located inside Rush Oak Park Hospital, where 2 ER doctors & a patient were recently diagnosed.  The hospital is a small hospital, so it was a bit concerning, but my wife was an ICU nurse & decided to go, but to take some precautions.  Since everything looks fine, the doctor suggested they skip the last appointment before delivery to reduce risk of exposure. 

She is planning on delivering at Rush (downtown), which is a HUGE hospital.  She is more impressed with that hospital than a lot of others in the area, including one near us (Advocate Lutheran General) that is generally well thought of.  Even if Rush winds up with quite a few cases, one nice thing is that there is a way to get to the labor & delivery floor from the parking garage where you don't go through the rest of the hospital. 

My first job (other than cutting lawns, etc) was when I was 14 at a mom & pop Pizza Place.  I took hand washing very seriously and have washed my hands more than most people (especially when cooking).  At one point, I was a actually bit worried that I might become obsessive about it, so tried dialing it back a bit.  Because my wife was an ICU nurse, she has always taken hand washing seriously.  Still a bit worried in the back of my mind over having her due next month.  My biggest concern is if hospitals just get overwhelmed.  Can't believe the CDC is suggesting "improvised" masks (like a bandanna or a scarf) is fine for a health care worker if supplies run out.  I can understand people having to improvise, but for the CDC to suggest that is fine is a bit unnerving as it indicates how bad things already are around the country with respect to supplies.

Wow I think about folks with young ones let alone people who work in the health industry. I feel for you and wish you the best.

I have some personal stories with my family and it’s not easy out there. My daughter’s boyfriends mom is on hospice at home. Not long before she passes. We had a cousin in Munster community hospital that was not allowed visitors. They did not have the virus.

I’m pleading with people at this time to not think of themselves. I’ve heard of people having house parties. I’ve heard of beach parties in Florida. And right here in Chicago people went downtown to celebrate St. Patrick’s day. I had a friend tell me it’s no big deal you should just get the virus and be done with it, it’s not that bad.

But I am begging everyone here to pass this message on. I am here in Illinois on stay at home law and I’m proud of it. If we don’t do this many of the unfortunate people will die. And the sad thing is.... you may die alone in the hospital or nursing home and not even have a funeral. It’s limited to ten at a funeral right now.

So please please please think of others. This is the new norm for now and we need each other. We will be back but if we don’t sacrifice there may not even be enough hospital beds for the sickest people. There will be no dignity in that.

Simple message, be responsible for others at this time. What you do matters more than ever. Please pass this message on. You are one of the best group of people I’ve ever met online.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2020, 11:03:16 AM »
Three weeks in and I'm on unemployment. MN Gov. Walz extended the shut down until May 4th. I have spent two week long stays at the cabin with a few days in between. Its nice to get away from all the news and just watch the spring transition. Seeing and trying to identify the migratory birds coming back north is one of my favorite things while up there. It sure beats hauling wood. Doing a little grilling, playing a lot of solitaire , and just trying to make the best of it. My folks are still hunkered down, but go out for occasional drives, just to get out of the house, as I'm sure a lot of people are doing.  The daily local newspaper here usually has at least three sections, and they are now down to one. Not enough advertising, sports, court trials, upcoming events, and a general lack of things to report.  YouTube has been my usual window to the world.  Checking out the various live street cams around the world reveals pretty much ghost towns, which is sad, but also good.  At the moment, things seem to be getting slightly less worse, but I think its still to early too tell without more testing.  We sure aren't rid of it yet. How are the rest of you doing?   
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:18:35 PM by Grillagin »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2020, 11:22:37 AM »
I work for a company that performs clinical lab testing for clinical trials.  I’m proud to say we are supporting many aspects of the pandemic response.   We’re already supporting clinical trials for vaccines and device testing for covid 19 assays.  We will be doing covid 19 diagnostic testing soon as well.  I feel fortunate to be working and to be part of the laboratory response.    #labproud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2020, 02:06:35 PM »
Wife had another appointment last week & cancelled the one this week.  Last week, the doctor said she thinks she is going to deliver early, which we were kind of hoping for as her due date was right about when they projected it would likely be peaking here.
regards,
Hal

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2020, 09:57:51 PM »
The pets will thrive! (A parody)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i97VF8XeBQ4

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2020, 01:36:50 AM »
I work for a Bank and that industry is considered essential.  We are not shut down, but are alternating one week on and one week off as much as possible to limit the amount of people exposed if someone does get sick.  The week off has been nice, especially since we tend to work twice (if not more) as hard during the week on.  Between the stimulus money calls (Where's my money?), people coming in (Give my my stimulus money!), and these PPP loans it hasn't been until yesterday that things finally calmed down.  I am definitely glad that the stimulus money was given to help people and that a lot of small businesses are getting aid, but it sure made things insane. 

In terms of home life it has been especially hard on my wife.  After being shut in all winter, is Spring/Summer is usually the time she looks forward to the most in terms of visiting family, camping, weekend trips, and vacation.  Easter was really hard on her because it is the first one she has spent without her family.  On top of that she is putting in really long days during my work weeks trying to take care of our daughter at home and working from home 

I have been doing really well with being home with my daughter every other week, but I can be satisfied with a quiet day home much easier than her assuming I have electricity and internet.  Getting supplies for food, house,  and/or projects as needed has been kind of a pain.  We have been pretty extreme about going no where.  I still get some exposure at work and I am the only risk of exposure for my family so I take it pretty seriously.   

We also had one last cold snap this week after planting garden recently.  Really mother nature? Inches of snow in the middle of April when people need to start growing food at home now more than ever?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:50:56 AM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2020, 03:58:30 AM »
Pretty sure we had the rona back in November  thru December, I know that doesn't line up with the government/media timeline. But it was the worst respiratory shit I e ever had, even had one buddy who actually thought he was dying. And somehow, there aren't very many cases around here. You could say that's from social distancing, but if you have been to any of the stores that are open, then you would see 2-3 times more people there than normal. I don't see how that's stopping it from spreading. I know one thing, since they shut down school, we haven't had a sliver of symptoms for any kind of sickness. If this homeschool shit wasn't such a pain in the ass, and I actually felt like she was learning something, then I would just keep homeschooling.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2020, 06:07:58 AM »
My understanding is that the form of flu that went around this year was particularly bad, so that is what you may have had.  Apparently, it was so bad that when Covid-19 came about, may doctors thought most were affected by that until symptoms got really bad.
regards,
Hal

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2020, 02:33:32 PM »
After 7 weeks off I went back to work today!

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2020, 03:12:47 PM »
I'm still off going on day 47 I think. All I know is its officially official im never retiring lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2020, 03:18:42 AM »
After 7 weeks off I went back to work today!

Congrats
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2020, 07:28:54 AM »
I started a new job March 30th, as people were freaking out over having to stay at home or use a computer. My job is inherently staying at home, working on a computer.

Yes I consider myself very fortunate, even if I only had 2 paychecks before across-the-board payroll cuts were enacted. I'll be gone by August or end of year if the company can't find a way to adapt. Yes I am eager to contribute to the economy in ways I haven't been able to do for more than 10 years. Will I? Not anytime soon.

Affected? I live in the pandemic epicenter: America. Yeah, I'd say I'm affected. But ya know, lots of people won't act on what they can't see and so it'll all good, right?

Meanwhile, the numbers continue their upward march. We're acting as if this thing's been beaten, as if what's coming in a few months will magically be better than today.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Anybody affected by Coronavirus yet?
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2020, 08:43:17 AM »
I started a new job March 30th, as people were freaking out over having to stay at home or use a computer. My job is inherently staying at home, working on a computer.

Yes I consider myself very fortunate, even if I only had 2 paychecks before across-the-board payroll cuts were enacted. I'll be gone by August or end of year if the company can't find a way to adapt. Yes I am eager to contribute to the economy in ways I haven't been able to do for more than 10 years. Will I? Not anytime soon.

Affected? I live in the pandemic epicenter: America. Yeah, I'd say I'm affected. But ya know, lots of people won't act on what they can't see and so it'll all good, right?

Meanwhile, the numbers continue their upward march. We're acting as if this thing's been beaten, as if what's coming in a few months will magically be better than today.

How should people act?  Hide at home and suck their thumb or go out and take the necessary risks to put food on the table?  And with that we also have to go out and have fun. Most of the shut down was a joke and most things should have remained open taking as much precaution as possible. Which is what they are finally starting to do anyway.

Welcome back by the way. I’ve missed your cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2020, 05:26:48 PM »
I was really in need of a haircut, my neighbor lady’s helped me out.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2020, 08:20:46 PM »

How should people act?  Hide at home and suck their thumb or go out and take the necessary risks to put food on the table?  And with that we also have to go out and have fun. Most of the shut down was a joke and most things should have remained open taking as much precaution as possible. Which is what they are finally starting to do anyway.

Welcome back by the way. I’ve missed your cooks.

In a pandemic you don't "need" to go out and have fun. Gimme a break. Read a book. Listen to music. Look at a grilling website. Do what you can. This will pass (for most of us, I guess.) It's disappointing to learn that people distancing themselves to reduce a serious contagion are "hiding." Wow. How truly horrifying that sort of life must be for you. Is the Netflix at least paid up? I have to drive 15-20 minutes to the good liquor locker. But the car I last filled up in March still has gas.

We will have a hard disagreement on whether or not any shutdown has been helpful. Absent a vaccine, literally the only thing that has helped has been keeping people away from other people. To dream otherwise is to ignore all credible evidence, both here and abroad. But hey, talk to me in a month or so if you're feeling confident today. The numbers in my county keep rising. How about yours? Don't think anything more can be done? Are ya sure?

Many of the choices are heartbreaking and imperfect. My kid's basketball tryouts are in a week. Limited indoor (gym) ventilation and heavy exhalation are higher risks. On the other hand, our rural county has few known (well, reported ... ) infections overall. On the other-other hand, teens can have reactions from C-19 that stop their fucking heart. I'm truly not interested in someone else's ability to pay the rent at that point, sorry.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch