Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anybody affected by Coronavirus yet?  (Read 21710 times)

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Anybody affected by Coronavirus yet?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 09:18:33 PM »
The MN Governor shut down bars and eat-in dining from today until the 27th, so I now have some time on my hands.  I haven't heard of any craziness at the local grocery chain, but I guess they limited TP to two per customer.  My folks are getting on in years, so they are hunkered down and trying to stay safe and healthy.  We've only just begun this ordeal.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2020, 03:06:56 PM »
   I work tradeshows and everything has been cancelled. Open up my unemployment account and use the cash in my brokerage account to take care of things after that it's the stocks. I think this will be worse than 911 work wise.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2020, 04:36:13 PM »

All schools are closed here in California.  It was just announced on the news the the Governor of California doubts that any schools will be reopening this school year due to the COVID-19 virus.   Wow!  They "hope" to reopen in September.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 04:42:57 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

stev

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 07:47:42 AM »
La Crosse County, Wi just got our first confirmed case. Stay safe.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2020, 10:15:15 AM »
Having 3 kids 7 and under this lock down is rough.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2020, 11:00:52 AM »
I don’t know if anyone reads there bible, but this would be the perfect, storm, or time for the antichrist, to step in. Yeah I just said it...I’m not a conspiracy wacko, or doomsday sayer, but really stop and think about it. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this kind of global thing before? Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2020, 11:23:40 AM »
I don’t know if anyone reads there bible, but this would be the perfect, storm, or time for the antichrist, to step in. Yeah I just said it...I’m not a conspiracy wacko, or doomsday sayer, but really stop and think about it. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this kind of global thing before? Just saying.

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2020, 11:43:21 AM »

This is the 4th or 5th flu pandemic in the last 100 years. That's starting at the spanish flu in 1918.

Viruses adapt just like we do. They are no different than we are.

They come out swinging, get beat down , regroup and come out stronger than before.

This virus is bad, dont get me wrong. But it's honestly blown way up by the media and social media. It's been in china since november, it just hit 200k infected with a 50%  recovered so far and 9% mortality rate. The number of infected has shot up theast few days due to population awareness to it and the influx of people being able to be tested. Before 3 days ago it was over 1000 co pay to get tested. Now it's free so of course the numbers are going to skyrocket.

People need to take a breath, step back, look at the bigger picture and come to realize that it will pass. It always does. People will inevitably die but so far only people with pretty exhausting health issues are being effected the worst. Protect those who have weak immune systems go out only when needed and stop panicking.

Hysteria is what's making everything worse right now. And no offence dude but its posts like yours that make it worse. The world is not going to end.

It's time for the world to step up, put all their petty shit aside and work as one unit to over come this. The enemy of my enemy is my friend and right not everyone's enemy is the coronavirus.

Are you going to help or make it worse?

Schuey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2020, 11:50:11 AM »

There have been about nine influenza pandemics during the last 300 years. Surely you have heard of the Spanish Flu from the early 1900's, it killed over 50 million people.
It wasn't me......Well maybe it was..

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2020, 12:20:55 PM »
Yup the last one was only 6 years ago with sars or swine flu. It happens more often than people realize

There have been about nine influenza pandemics during the last 300 years. Surely you have heard of the Spanish Flu from the early 1900's, it killed over 50 million people.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2020, 12:48:48 PM »

This is the 4th or 5th flu pandemic in the last 100 years. That's starting at the spanish flu in 1918.

They come out swinging, get beat down , regroup and come out stronger than before.

This virus is bad, dont get me wrong. But it's honestly blown way up by the media and social media. It's been in china since november, it just hit 200k infected with a 50%  recovered so far and 9% mortality rate. The number of infected has shot up theast few days due to population awareness to it and the influx of people being able to be tested. Before 3 days ago it was over 1000 co pay to get tested. Now it's free so of course the numbers are going to skyrocket.

People need to take a breath, step back, look at the bigger picture and come to realize that it will pass. It always does. People will inevitably die but so far only people with pretty exhausting health issues are being effected the worst. Protect those who have weak immune systems go out only when needed and stop panicking.

Hysteria is what's making everything worse right now. And no offence dude but its posts like yours that make it worse. The world is not going to end.

It's time for the world to step up, put all their petty shit aside and work as one unit to over come this. The enemy of my enemy is my friend and right not everyone's enemy is the coronavirus.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of truth to the media contributing to the hysteria. Only 10 years ago, social media was but a blip on the radar of where people got their news (TV was #1). Today, however, social media is TIED with TV, sending print media (newspapers and magazines) down into the bottom of the barrel of importance.

The issue I personally have with social media as a news source is its inclusion of regular citizens as news-makers and news-reporters - people who have nothing to lose in terms of reputation when they get things wrong and everything to gain in terms of notoriety simply by reporting something that goes viral. Attention-grabbing tweets/retweets/etc. draw clicks/views which generate revenue. Nuance and the context of stories are lost or deemed irrelevant in the fast-paced game of gotcha news reporting, which requires little fact checking and simply becomes a popularity contest. For example, social media outrage mobs have inexplicably been given the power to force companies and people into action or reaction when the fact patterns suggest that they did nothing wrong except perhaps express an opinion deemed insensitive or out of touch with what the mobs deem important.

I find myself double and triple checking things I see on TV or read in the newspaper for fear of being duped. I continue ignore anything my friends send me that's political in any way shape or form as I have no reason to believe their accuracy. This a brutal time for such a terrible event to unfold upon us. I've known for a long time not to trust our politicians, but it's sad that I feel like I can't trust our media either since they've been playing catch up in the race for clicks/views and will do anything to get/keep them.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2020, 01:02:30 PM »

Unfortunately, there's a lot of truth to the media contributing to the hysteria. Only 10 years ago, social media was but a blip on the radar of where people got their news (TV was #1). Today, however, social media is TIED with TV, sending print media (newspapers and magazines) down into the bottom of the barrel of importance.

The issue I personally have with social media as a news source is its inclusion of regular citizens as news-makers and news-reporters - people who have nothing to lose in terms of reputation when they get things wrong and everything to gain in terms of notoriety simply by reporting something that goes viral. Attention-grabbing tweets/retweets/etc. draw clicks/views which generate revenue. Nuance and the context of stories are lost or deemed irrelevant in the fast-paced game of gotcha news reporting, which requires little fact checking and simply becomes a popularity contest. For example, social media outrage mobs have inexplicably been given the power to force companies and people into action or reaction when the fact patterns suggest that they did nothing wrong except perhaps express an opinion deemed insensitive or out of touch with what the mobs deem important.

I find myself double and triple checking things I see on TV or read in the newspaper for fear of being duped. I continue ignore anything my friends send me that's political in any way shape or form as I have no reason to believe their accuracy. This a brutal time for such a terrible event to unfold upon us. I've known for a long time not to trust our politicians, but it's sad that I feel like I can't trust our media either since they've been playing catch up in the race for clicks/views and will do anything to get/keep them.

All so true in your statements about online media and so many news outlets on cable. 
Kettle collector AND cooker!

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2020, 02:47:22 PM »
Well, half my work got temporarily laid off today. I'm still employed for now

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Anybody affected by Coronavirus yet?
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2020, 04:22:34 PM »

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:31:14 PM by bamakettles »

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2020, 04:31:17 PM »
How do I get on that lol.
We got a temporary 25% raise today at work.  It’s even retro for time during this issue.  Pretty cool to work for my company.....