Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Updated 5/23: My 1st Weber Gasser, help with ID - Finished Pics added  (Read 9360 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Through the help of a long-time grillfella here I was pointed in the direction of this beauty. He said with the wide wooden slats it was likely a first generation from Weber. Anybody have any insight? I'll probably get it this weekend and see how she looks. Hopefully the innards are in good shape.

Edit: Lol looking at the pic I put up I guess it's a Genesis II? Is the difference between a II and III the size? Any idea on the year? TIA.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:38:34 AM by Rub »
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My 1st Weber Gasser, help with ID
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 12:16:55 PM »
Good looking gasser, I like the wide slats on those models
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 12:31:52 PM »
Nice! Yes, wide slabs = first gen. Also, the way the white walls come right out to the edge, the black controls, etc.

I'm guessing II vs III is whether or not it came with a side burner? Your frame has the space ... in subsequent generations they did not include a longer frame for models that did not come with the side burner.

On the other hand, I'm only guessing about all of that.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 06:29:45 PM »
Based on the wheels alone, it should be early to mid 80s. Those are the best looking Weber wheels IMO... love the wide white wall!

Sent from my brain using Mind Bullets! (that’s Telekinesis, Kyle)...
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 06:59:03 PM »
Cool thanks for the info guys. I know zero about Weber gassers but I'm ready to learn.
So a first generation Genesis II maybe since no side burner, from early to mid '80s. Got it thanks.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
My 1st Weber Gasser, help with ID
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 07:06:53 PM »
Looks like the Genesis debuted in ‘85. Give this a read.... https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/behind-the-grill/class-of85-the-creators-of-the-genesis/weber-30515.html

@SixZeroFour @LightningBoldtz  - can either of you help us out pinpointing the age of this Genesis?

Sent from my brain using Mind Bullets! (that’s Telekinesis, Kyle)...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:09:51 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 06:56:02 AM »
That was a good read @Bob BQ thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 06:58:22 AM »
Does that manual in the plastic have the serial # printed at the top right corner?    It will give you the age via the Age guide.  Should be able to enter the number at Weber and get the model.

Or, there should be a label/badge that you can see once you lift off the control panel cover.  Hopefully it's still there and the print is legible.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 07:02:03 AM »
Nice gasser.
The castings for the sides of the lid may have stamps inside with the year. Also cookbox may have a number casted along side where the drip rail slides are.

And those wheels are the nicest. I have a set of those on my Gen2 Performer.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:06:35 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 05:46:37 PM »
Does that manual in the plastic have the serial # printed at the top right corner?    It will give you the age via the Age guide.  Should be able to enter the number at Weber and get the model.

Or, there should be a label/badge that you can see once you lift off the control panel cover.  Hopefully it's still there and the print is legible.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
It does. As soon as I get it from my agent I'll post up the serial #. Thanks.

DellJones

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 01:00:53 AM »
 NICE GENNY!!!  Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 04:38:31 AM »
Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 10:04:41 PM »
@Rub

Based on the schematics, it looks like the Genny3 had a side burner, the Genny2 did not.  Otherwise, they are the same.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/browse.aspx?model=431001

https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/browse.aspx?model=471001

Did she make it to you yet ?  If not, did you get the SN from your agent ?

Also, best I can pin the year down to is between 85 and 92.  85 being the launch year of the Genny and I know that the Genny 1000 was definitely available in 93 (not sure about earlier).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 10:16:34 PM by demosthenes9 »

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »
Rub, that is definitely a Genesis II and a very early production model at that.
The wide slats that run lengthwise on the lower frame are the same as mine. The frame itself is all welded; no sections held together with threaded inserts.
Mine had a serial number from 1985.

I am biased, but I think that 13 bar gennys are the best gassers ever.
I put SS bars from RCPlanebuyer in mine and it is great!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
Great info thanks guys. I’m going to look at those RCPs. I take possession tomorrow and will get the serial number then. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club