Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Updated 5/23: My 1st Weber Gasser, help with ID - Finished Pics added  (Read 9416 times)

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
Re: My 1st Weber Gasser, help with ID
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 12:00:22 PM »
Rub - @Jon Tofte (FL Gas Grill Guru)  should be able to advise .
This is going to be great score.
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
Got it! He forgot to bring the owner’s manual and cookbook but I’ll get them later. This thing is pretty slick! Built like a tank, heavy, and nice features. Has like a weight scale to estimate how much propane is left. Also a meat temp guide that refers to “rare” as 140 lol. Lava rocks and charcoal on a grate over the flavorizer bars. Is it even supposed to have a grate there? Once I get her cleaned up I can see it being one of my go-tos. Is there a cover that will fit it? Here’s some pics before I clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

[attachment deleted by admin]
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 09:04:53 AM »
No, get rid of that grate with the lava and charcoal sitting on it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »
Holy smokes!  She's beautiful!     As ATS said, lose the charcoal, grate and lava rock and then decide where to go from there.   Check the burner tubes and see if they are solid.  Hook up a propane tank and fire it up.  This will help check the regulator, valves and tubes.  If the crossover tube happens to be shot, try lighting the other tubes manually.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 06:06:54 PM »
Holy smokes!  She's beautiful!     As ATS said, lose the charcoal, grate and lava rock and then decide where to go from there.   Check the burner tubes and see if they are solid.  Hook up a propane tank and fire it up.  This will help check the regulator, valves and tubes.  If the crossover tube happens to be shot, try lighting the other tubes manually.
Got it cleaned up, scrubbed out and fired up. Everything works as it should. Flavorizer bars need to be replaced. I put it back together and grilled a pair of Mother's Day prime ribeyes. Tomorrow I'll do some touchup painting and see about refinishing the redwood. I'm loving this Genny. I tried to use the Weber site and add this grill to my grills and learn the year but the prefix isn't listed. Any insight? L3 - 048690

Cleaned out 30+ years of crud

Bars are in rough shape. I see some SS ones in my near future.

Burn out the old!

The red color change

I love all of the work surfaces they give you!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:15:52 PM by Rub »
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 07:16:16 PM »
I'd give Weber a call and let them try to register it.    Clean up looks nice.   Not sure what you did the cookbox with, but it looks pretty good.  If you want to get it really nice and shiny, hit it with an angle grinder and a cup wire brush.  and watch it shine.

When touching up, be careful on the end caps and the outside of the cookbox.  it's a textured surface that no one I know has found a way to replicate.  You have to remove the flaking paint of course, but do so with a very light touch.   Then hit with some High Heat Ultra from Rustoleum.  it's semi glossy and has a nice look.

To retouch the Weber Logo plate, it's easiest if you can take it off, but it's not absolutely necessary.    Spray the whole front of it with the same Rusto then put it face down on some ultra fine grit sandpaper and move it back and forth.   The paint on the highest layer will get removed and leave the Logo looking stunning.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 07:17:12 PM »
And once again, DAYUM.  That is a pretty looking grill !!

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 06:39:42 PM »
Rub, that is definitely a Genesis II and a very early production model at that.
The wide slats that run lengthwise on the lower frame are the same as mine. The frame itself is all welded; no sections held together with threaded inserts.
Mine had a serial number from 1985.

I am biased, but I think that 13 bar gennys are the best gassers ever.
I put SS bars from RCPlanebuyer in mine and it is great!
JC yours looks fantastic! Do you remember what you did to the redwood? I want to refinish mine then do something to it to keep it from getting water stains etc.

Thanks very much @demosthenes9 I appreciate it. I appreciate your tips too. I don't really notice a texture on the cook box though. It looks easy enough to take the cast parts off to clean and spray paint. And the logo plate idea is awesome. I'm afraid if I take it off I'll never get it back on as snug as it is now, so I'll probably do it where it is.

I emailed Weber with the serial number and they had a fairly generic response. Pretty sure you guys knew more than this cat.
"Hello Rub, Thanks for reaching out to us. Based on the photo and serial number, you have a Genesis 2 LP, model # 431001, made between 1985 and 1992."

Thanks for the help you guys.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 07:57:34 PM »

The wide slats that run lengthwise on the lower frame are the same as mine. The frame itself is all welded; no sections held together with threaded inserts.

JC yours looks fantastic! Do you remember what you did to the redwood? I want to refinish mine then do something to it to keep it from getting water stains etc.

Thanks very much @demosthenes9 I appreciate it. I appreciate your tips too. I don't really notice a texture on the cook box though. It looks easy enough to take the cast parts off to clean and spray paint. And the logo plate idea is awesome. I'm afraid if I take it off I'll never get it back on as snug as it is now, so I'll probably do it where it is.

I emailed Weber with the serial number and they had a fairly generic response. Pretty sure you guys knew more than this cat.
"Hello Rub, Thanks for reaching out to us. Based on the photo and serial number, you have a Genesis 2 LP, model # 431001, made between 1985 and 1992."

You're welcome Rub..  It's possible that I'm mistaken about texture.  Perhaps it's just on the end caps or maybe it's all smooth. On Gennys I've dealt with, it feels like there's a little sand or something mixed in with the paint.  It definitely doesn't feel the same as the smooth aluminum inside the cook box.

Ill see if I can dig up some photos showing what I'm talking about. Pee than a few of them have been posted over at TVWBB. 

For the logo plate, you can do it where it is, just be very careful when sanding.  I'd reend a sandpaper block quite a bit larger than the logo plate so that you can be sure to sand flat and level. I screwed one of these up as well. And the logo surface was noticeably uneven.

Lastly, on the age of the grill.  Unfortunately, Weber didn't tie date info into the serial numbers on this Gen.  That came later.

Chris Allingham, over at TVWBB has done some research on I and wrote about it here....

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?70576-Deciphering-Old-Weber-Gas-Grill-Serial-Numbers

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 04:18:55 AM »
Isn't the logo plate just bolted on from the back side?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2018, 08:18:57 AM »
Isn't the logo plate just bolted on from the back side?

They usually have a ring compression clip or whatever it's called.  Basically, same thing that locks the wheels on the axle, but without the plastic.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 08:26:01 AM »
Correct. Easy to break them if you take off the badge, but they can be found at a well-stocked hardware store. I've done it a few times. I have occasional had a bear of a time getting the bolts on the end panels to break free. The early ones used actual solid nuts which can freeze up, and it's tough to keep the heads from spinning in the end panel. later models used a stamped nut thing that comes off much easier.
Retired

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 06:11:13 PM »

Rub, I sanded the original wood and hit it with some spare varnish.
It hasn't held up in the Arizona sun, so I will wind up redoing it.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2018, 06:59:58 PM »
Rub, these are pictures of the date stamps from my Genesis jr. The first one is from the sides of the lid and the second one is from the bottom of the cookbox right in the front by where the drip pan slides out. The Genesis 1 that I restored was from 86, it had the dates casted in it also. I hope this helps.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 04:20:54 AM »
Thanks guys. I got the end panels off easily yesterday and got a coat of HHU on the outside. Looks like they’ll benefit from another coat.

I also found the date stamp, thanks @Kneab . I was a little disappointed to see it was an ‘87. I was hoping for ‘85. But regardless I’m enjoying this grill a lot and the resto. New ss bars come in tomorrow. I bought some Olympic stain and sealer in one for the woodwork and I’ll get on that this weekend. I guess I’ll sand and repaint the frame while I’m at it. Thanks again everyone for the tips and help!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:24:18 AM by Rub »