Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Updated 5/23: My 1st Weber Gasser, help with ID - Finished Pics added  (Read 9401 times)

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My 1st Weber Gasser, help with ID
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2018, 05:02:31 AM »
he has skills other than awesome brisket and pork butts, way to go @Rub
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2018, 05:07:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I got the end panels off easily yesterday and got a coat of HHU on the outside. Looks like they’ll benefit from another coat.

I also found the date stamp, thanks @Kneab . I was a little disappointed to see it was an ‘87. I was hoping for ‘85. But regardless I’m enjoying this grill a lot and the resto. New ss bars come in tomorrow. I bought some Olympic stain and sealer in one for the woodwork and I’ll get on that this weekend. I guess I’ll sand and repaint the frame while I’m at it. Thanks again everyone for the tips and help!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Can't wait to see the finished results.   Sure, 85 would have been great, but this one is still very nice.  One of the oldest ones I have seen.  Don't know if it's in the plans, but you might want to replace the nuts and bolts with SS ones. 

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2018, 01:58:13 PM »
It's been raining every day here for 2 weeks straight, making any resto efforts a challenge. But I think I'm done, for now anyway. First of all thanks to everyone here and at TVWBB for the info and tips. They saved me countless hours of work and research. I am no restoration guru by any stretch of the imagination, so it was all very helpful. And I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

I started by taking all of the wood off and numbering each piece. Then it all got a light sanding and a coat of Olympic Maximum Stain and Sealant in One. I wanted something that would be somewhat weatherproof so my cold beer wouldn't leave a ring. This fits the bill and I really like the color.

The metal brackets that hold the wood all had some rust bubbles under the paint, so I took a razor scrapper to them and exposed everything. I put these parts in some EvapoRust overnight and it dod a pretty good job. I the endcaps off the hood and lightly sanded them with 400 grit, and removed and cleaned the thermometer.

I kept taking parts off the frame until it was completely stripped. I hadn't noticed all of the subterranean rust bubbles under the paint before on the frame, so that added an extra hour or so exposing and scrapping those parts. In hindsight I wish I would have sanded and feathered the good paint to bare metal edges better as they show up some after the repaint. I hit the exposed parts with a Rustoleum product that neutralizes rust, then sprayed the entire cart with their HH Ultra, which was the same thing I used on the end caps. Everything got 2-3 coats.

For the fire box I was going to use Rustoleum HH (1200*) flat, but then I saw they have a 2000* flat with a 'no peel' guarantee. Sounded perfect so I gave it a try. So far so good.

I cleaned up some rust spots on the control panel and hit them with the neutralizer paint, then 0000'd the overspray off. I put everything back together and was damn happy to not have any leftover screws! Oh yeah, I painted all of the hardware too.

Once I had it all together I hooked the tank back up, hit the ignitor, and nothing. Damn, it worked before. I guess it's going to be stick lighters for a while. At least the burners still work.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I was originally going to paint the fire box HHU too, but I like the contrast I get with the flat. I've bought and put in the recommended SS flavorizer bars. Forgot a pic but you know what they look like. All that's left is to probably improve the cook grates with something different, and find a decent cover.

I upgraded my phone/camera recently so I went a little crazy playing with the portrait setting. Here's the finished pics. It's still raining but it let up for 10 minutes and I took some quickly. So here is my 1987 Weber Genesis II, bought for $75 at the estate sale of the deceased former mayor of Winter Garden, FL.

If you look closely you can see the rain beading up, mission accomplished.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 02:01:09 PM by Rub »
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Looks great. Grate job!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Excellent!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
Updated 5/20: My 1st Weber Gasser, help with ID - Finished Pics added
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2018, 03:46:31 PM »
You have Super restorer Skills- looking like new ,Rub.
Thinking to drop some of my kettles for ur RRR love .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:28:38 AM by chiku18 »
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
That looks really awesome, Rub.  Great restoration.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
'Tis a beauty

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Beautiful
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Whoaaaa
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
Whoa what a great restoration! Beautiful job Rub!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jdorn

• WKC Ranger
Wow, great work! Beautiful

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DellJones

• WKC Ranger
WOW!!!  Very Nice!!!! [emoji41][emoji106]🏾[emoji106]🏾

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
Great job ...