Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What color is this MBH?  (Read 3987 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: What color is this MBH?
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2018, 03:52:31 AM »
If you like it & it's cheap, buy it.  It has character. 
I think yours is a faded black.
I'm also thinking the line seen on the picture I posted seems like it's right about the height of where the grate would be and maybe that has something to do with the slight color differential.
The pic I posted also just seems to have way too flat of a finish & the guy has not responded to my text asking if he painted the kettle, so it looks like I'm NOT going on a drive.

Perfect timing for this thread. Was thinking of  picking up a “grey” mbh tomorrow and came to the WKC site to look up some more info on this “Grey”. Now I don’t think it’s grey and half of you probably agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:54:08 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2018, 04:36:41 AM »
The Plainsman was only produced in 1963

Ok, TRUE Weber grey kettles. 1963-66 Plainsman (two tone) the 1989-91 One Touch + or BAR-B-KETTLE and the 2000s Crate & Barrel Gen 2-3 Performer and the euro Smokey Joe. What you have is a faded black.

HOLY GRAILS: 1950s era Black or Custom finish 18.5 or 22.5 Kettle, Brown Go Anywhere grill.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2018, 06:05:53 AM »
... so it looks like I'm NOT going on a drive.

Don't sweat it. We'd already started, and funded, a secret Kickstarter campaign on your behalf. 10 of us had to sell off a few colored grills and stop payment on our mortgages for a couple of days, but it's probably worth it for a Grillfella!

It's being airlifted straight to your house later today. Enjoy!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2018, 07:51:17 AM »
DAMN, this is the FINEST online group ever.

I'm going to start a new thread thanking all for your generosity.

After reading this, my eyes teared up & ........................... I nearly spit out my drink laughing.

Don't sweat it. We'd already started, and funded, a secret Kickstarter campaign on your behalf. 10 of us had to sell off a few colored grills and stop payment on our mortgages for a couple of days, but it's probably worth it for a Grillfella!

regards,
Hal

Cellar2ful

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2018, 08:04:21 AM »

Notice he said airlifted.  It will be pushed out of the aircraft at 10,000 feet and falling like the Chinese space station did this week.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2018, 08:20:22 AM »
THAT pretty much proves it really is just half of a faded black MBH.

Notice he said airlifted.  It will be pushed out of the aircraft at 10,000 feet and falling like the Chinese space station did this week.
regards,
Hal

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2018, 01:14:49 PM »
The color differential line I marked A makes me want to go see it. 

The dullness and the "scratch" marks marked B make me not want to waste my time.

Don't be fooled by the line on the bowl. 
This faded 18, AKA: Fog, rescued by MrHoss has the same line on the bowl about a couple three inches down …

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/mac-calls-hoss-responds/

This thread has some better images to illustrate

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/grilling-with-driftwood/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2018, 07:51:31 PM »
It's a faded black.  I personally don't believe the fading is sun related, not all of it, I think there heat or something makes the black fade.  Most of the weathered warriors are uniformly faded grey.  So I think it's a loss of pigment more than a sun fade. 

This.. I think some of the Weber grills have pigment issues that cause them to fade.. I don't think anyone has tracked the date range of these fades. I've seen my share of Faded or Pigment loss in black grills.
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2018, 07:55:06 AM »
And am I mistaken, or have we seen more faded black kettles from the '70s than from the '60s? Or did I just start a rumor?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2018, 12:48:47 PM »
My guess is more were sold in the 70s than the 60s in the first place.
regards,
Hal

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2018, 05:34:03 AM »

The Plainsman was only produced in 1963

Ok, TRUE Weber grey kettles. 1963-66 Plainsman (two tone)

That moment when you realize you’ve done well as a historian when others begin to correct the historian. [emoji38]

HOLY GRAILS: 1950s era Black or Custom finish 18.5 or 22.5 Kettle, Brown Go Anywhere grill.