Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Kettle Restore  (Read 1377 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
First Kettle Restore
« on: April 06, 2018, 04:40:34 AM »
I never thought I would actually put the effort into restoring a kettle, let alone a 2004 racer 22 like the one I am working on now. However, there was a wicked storm going on and working in the workshop behind my garage with a beer was pretty relaxing. I had only planned on doing a quick clean of the lid and bowl, but once I got started, I had to do a complete job. So, I started scrubbing away at the triangle, legs, wheels, and I’m on Day 3 of trying to clean up the ash sweeps.

This kettle is a gift to my coworker who is a charcoal griller/smoker who has been trapped in an apartment for 6 years and not allowed to have a grill. He has even been saving his old Weber chimney this whole time. Anyway, he is moving into a home on April 11, so I am getting a kettle for him as a homewarming gift.

Here are some pics, in no particular order, of the progress so far. I’m pretty happy with the triangle, and hopeful for the ash sweeps (which are going to my bud Brandon - @kettlebb - to help finish a restore on one of his kettles).

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 05:00:15 AM by Schaefd2 »
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First Kettle Restore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 05:25:16 AM »
Very cool brother! You don’t need to clean those 7409 sweeps, I know you are a busy man. Your buddy is really going to like that kettle. Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 05:40:02 AM »
Nice clean up and nice move on your part.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 05:42:40 AM »
Looking good!  Those legs should shine up nicely. 

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 05:52:22 AM »

Very cool brother! You don’t need to clean those 7409 sweeps, I know you are a busy man. Your buddy is really going to like that kettle. Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be more precise, the PBB is on day three of working on the sweeps. I am just rotating it to allow each part to soak.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 08:04:03 AM »
I can think of no finer housewarming gift than a kettle, especially one spruced up like that!

Yeah, you're DONE with the sweeps. They're as "nice" as they need to be. You could hit 'em with a wire wheel in a drill, but only if convenient.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 08:05:33 AM »
Look's great!!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 08:42:13 AM »
I never thought I would actually put the effort into restoring a kettle, let alone a 2004 racer 22 like the one I am working on now. I had only planned on doing a quick clean of the lid and bowl, but once I got started, I had to do a complete job.

Secondary condition of Weberitis. Kind of like a cold turning into pneumonia.   I'm sure your co-worker will greatly appreciate your gift and effort put into restoring it.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 06:25:57 PM »
Thanks @Cellar2ful. You may be pleased to know that the 2018 WKC calendar you gifted me is at my desk at work. Both me and my previously mentioned coworker who is receiving this grill, enjoy looking at each month’s picture. Next month, is my favorite month’s pic LOL the meat grill in the butcher shop [emoji16]

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 07:09:00 PM »
Very nice. I'm sure your co worker will appreciate the grill.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 08:16:47 AM »
Shine on Man!!!  That looks awesome!! :O

Kettle Karma... Gotta love it!!

J
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 01:22:19 PM »
   That's a beautiful gesture, now would be the perfect time to transform this lowly economy model into a mastertouch model. May the kettle gods smile upon you.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.