Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Advice on smoking turkey tomorrow  (Read 4744 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
Re: Advice on smoking turkey tomorrow
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 11:28:18 AM »

The smokes rollin!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 04:54:35 AM »
The turkey turned out incredible! Not one dry piece of meat, perfect crispy skin everyone was impressed. Thanks again for all the help here guys, I see many more birds in my future!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 06:36:49 AM »
LOVE IT!

Now, we can all call on you to ask how to do it!

What sort of setup did you decide on, for bird prep and grill method? Were there any "gotchas" or surprises along the way you overcame?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 07:59:26 AM »
Ask away I love to help!!

I wasn't able to brine due to time but I did put sea salt on a couple hours ahead. I also made a batch of Simon & Garfunkel seasoning and mixed it with melted butter then spread all over everything. I did spatchcock style then got the grill dialed in with about 40 unlit briques and half a chimney lit on top with 1 chunk of apple wood. After that I just kept an eye on the thermoworks and rotated an hour in. Temps were usually around 350 dipping to 330. It turned out perfect!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 08:34:49 AM »
Sounds like it was kept uncomplicated.

I have a phobia against using unlit charcoal (briquets) in that way, due to the smell as they start up, but it sounds as if that wasn't an issue for you. And I'm guessing it allowed you to keep a steady temp without having to add lit coals every so often, yeah? If that works, I may do mine that way (albeit with rotisserie.)

Did you use 2 charcoal baskets on either side of the grill, or just put them all on the grate under the bird? Or something else?

gus9904

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 09:07:14 AM »

I smoked a small (10lb) bird on Saturday. No brine, injected with beer, melted butter, and broth. Cavity had an onion, carrots, and some apple, sprinkled run all over the outside. 2 coal baskets, 350 degrees for about 3 hours. Breast was 165, thighs a little more. Very, very juicy. I thought it needed a little lore of a kick, but the family loved it. Not bad for first turkey on the grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 01:20:29 PM »
They bird looks really good man

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 05:43:10 PM »
Sounds like it was kept uncomplicated.

I have a phobia against using unlit charcoal (briquets) in that way, due to the smell as they start up, but it sounds as if that wasn't an issue for you. And I'm guessing it allowed you to keep a steady temp without having to add lit coals every so often, yeah? If that works, I may do mine that way (albeit with rotisserie.)

Did you use 2 charcoal baskets on either side of the grill, or just put them all on the grate under the bird? Or something else?
I used weber charcoal so maybe that's why I didn't get any odd smell or taste from the fuel?

I piled up the charcoal on the grate up against one side kind of similar to a snake but not nice looking, I still haven't used the baskets yet. I never had to add anything during the cook and actually had plenty left over.

I'd say give it a shot with some weber charcoal on your next one and see if that makes a difference for you?

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 06:02:54 PM »
Awesome thanks guys! I've never done a bird yet, first time!!

Definitely practice with your family before hosting in my opinion. I would have bought a chicken or small turkey last week and did a practice run first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was kind of thrown on me suddenly but it is family so I figure worst case scenario White Castle is 3 miles away haha! But of course I do want it to go well.

White Castle stuffing!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

sage1166

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 03:15:35 AM »
How did you set up your coals?  I saw 40 briquettes, but which configuration?  Basket, snake, 2 baskets in a V, etc.

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 04:30:18 AM »
How did you set up your coals?  I saw 40 briquettes, but which configuration?  Basket, snake, 2 baskets in a V, etc.

I piled up the charcoal on the grate up against one side kind of similar to a snake but not nice looking, I still haven't used the baskets yet. I never had to add anything during the cook and actually had plenty left over. ...

jorrtvh

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 06:04:50 AM »
I love the blue Performer!  That's the one I have!  My Blue Boy will be out in full glory on Thursday with the trusty ol' black One Touch by it's side for backup! That one will be used primarily for the stuffing in a cast iron skillet but the bird goes on Blue Boy. With the constant temps those things maintain roasting a turkey is almost foolproof.  You used apple wood, huh? I've used black cherry in the past and I'll probably do the same this year but I consider apple in the future.
18” Smoky Mountain, Blue C & B Performer, Black 22" One Touch, Black Smokey Joe

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 06:15:32 AM »
Well it's that time of year again!! I'm going to do another Turkey today same way as I did last year. I'm going to do it in the kettle again vs the wsm to get the skin crispy!

I just ran threw my old thread here to see if I posted how long it took me last year and apparently i did not. If i remember right the Turkey cooked pretty fast being spatchcocked. I have another 12 pound bird and trying to decide how long it will take. Can anybody advice, will it be about 2 hours going this route?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Advice on smoking turkey tomorrow
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 07:39:15 AM »
Here’s a basic guideline. Average time they say is 20 minutes per lb.

http://dish.allrecipes.com/turkey-cooking-time-guide/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk