Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Advice on smoking turkey tomorrow  (Read 4745 times)

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
Advice on smoking turkey tomorrow
« on: November 18, 2017, 12:44:46 PM »
I have an 11 pound butterball and a 22" kettle. We are having 4 people over tomorrow for a pre-thanksgiving since we won't see them Thursday. I want to try smoking it but not sure what to do...

So far it looks like keep it 325 until the breast gets to temp. I have a thermoworks smoke thermometer so I can keep an eye on temp. I have a bag of a bag of webber briquettes and a bag of royal oak lump, also some apple wood pieces.

How should I prepare it, just throw some butter on the skin before hand or and seasoning tonight?

When cooking should I use a pan of water in the grill or No? Should I have the bird in a pan or just on the grate?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Advice on smoking turkey tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 12:50:27 PM »
I would suggest making an herb butter and rubbing it under the skin if you are going to cook on the grate. Your temp sounds good and your choice of wood is good. Poultry takes smoke quickly so go light with the wood. I would put foil down under the bird or a tray to catch the drippings and also to not make a mess of your cooker. If it starts getting dark, lightly tent the bird. Most importantly, have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 01:06:25 PM »
Poultry takes smoke quickly so go light with the wood.

Excellent and crucial advice right there.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 01:07:18 PM »
Everything Travis said.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 01:12:44 PM »
How do I get it under the skin?

Also what fuel and how many pieces of wood should I use? I've used this grill plenty this summer but never with the thermoworks I just got that. I'm a little concerned on keeping the 325 temp. This grill has always ran hot for me unless I use a pan of water...

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 01:17:27 PM »
Im also considering spatchcock style, would that be a good way to go?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 01:21:48 PM »
Have you done a whole chicken yet? If so similar to that just a little more time.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 01:22:43 PM »
You're gonna lift the skin and slide your fingers under it. Thermo's probe goes in the breast so that you don't overcook it! We have several recent threads here regarding turkeys. A couple large chunks or a FEW smaller ones is plenty. Right on the charcoal. Let them catch, put the lid on to stop the flare up. When you see blue smoke out of the lid vent, put the bird on.

YES to spatchcock here.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 01:29:54 PM »
Awesome thanks guys! I've never done a bird yet, first time!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 01:47:53 PM »

Definitely practice with your family before hosting in my opinion. I would have bought a chicken or small turkey last week and did a practice run first.

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 05:57:24 PM »

Definitely practice with your family before hosting in my opinion. I would have bought a chicken or small turkey last week and did a practice run first.

This was kind of thrown on me suddenly but it is family so I figure worst case scenario White Castle is 3 miles away haha! But of course I do want it to go well.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 07:35:45 PM »
Mmmmmm. Sliders and Turkey. Damn now I want White Castle.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 03:28:39 AM »
This is how I'm doing mine this year.

Don't wash your turkey

Rinsing poultry in the sink cannot removeSalmonella and Campylobacter which are often embedded in the muscle. In fact, rinsing makes things worse by splattering contamination onto the sink and counters.

Thaw in fridge, 24 hrs for each 4 pounds.

After the bird has thawed, open the bag it came in and pour the juices into the pan in which it was sitting. Even if the bird was salted, save those the juices.

Put all the giblets except the liver in the pan with the juices.

Remove all extra fat and add it to the juice pan.

Remove the wing tips and add to juice pan.

If spatchcocked, add the back bone to the juice pan.

Add the rest of the gravy ingredients to the pan and refrigerate for later.

If there is a plastic pop-up thermometer, remove it and discard it. Also the plastic that holds the legs.

Do not wet brine.

Dry brine with salt for 12 - 24 hrs with 1/2 tsp koshire salt per pound. Do not cover with foil. We want it to dry the skin.

Rub with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil or olive oil.

Season with 4 tablespoons of Simon & Garfunkel rub on and under skin as far in as possible.

Cover wing tips and legs with tin foil for part of cooking time.

Roast at 325°.

Do not baste.

Remove at 160°

Do not tent with foil or skin will soften.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:31:52 AM by Joetee »

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 04:26:02 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I didn't have much time to prepare for this so nothing will be done as far as a brine. I'll butter it then cook it and hope for the best.

Should I be using a snake method for the charcoal or use the charcoal baskets my grill came with? I've never used the baskets.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 07:53:55 AM »
A snake (or fuse) method is for only having a few coals lit at a time. As they die out, more become lit. This permits a lower temp to occur over a long time. It's for BBQ cooking, aka "low and slow."

The majority of bird recipes like this call for higher temps over a shorter period of time, like an hour or two? That's roasting, when the meat sits right above a pan with juices/broth etc. That's rotisserie cooking, when using instead a rotisserie.

Using the charcoal baskets is easy, just dump a lit chimney into them and place on opposite sides of the kettle, or arrange in more of a V and place the bird with legs closest to the baskets so that the breast is further away from heat.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch