Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Friday evening suds  (Read 10309 times)

robs2

• WKC Brave
Re: Friday evening suds
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2017, 05:30:53 PM »

My brother lives in Columbus.  Every trip there includes at least:
Columbus Brewing Co IPA
Brew Kettle White Raja
Head Hunter Hop Stalker (if there in the fall fresh hop season)
Head Hunter Hop Juju (if there in the spring for this seasonal)
Head Hunter IPA if there any other time

And last...and MOST

Any juice bomb by Hoof Hearted. My personal favorite was the Musk of the Minotaur batch they did in Feb '17, but they have several beers rated higher than that (Konkey Dong, Roller Blabe, South of Eleven DIPA).

If you ever get to OH and haven't tried any of these, seek them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

I second @robs2  opinion. I live in Columbus (Delaware to be exact but whatevs). All these are fantastic beers! I highly suggest adding fresh Mystic Mama from Jackie-Os to this list. Also, (and I don’t know how it has been missed) but you NEED to pick up some fresh Bodhi from Columbus Brewing. If you like all those beers you listed, you’re missing out if you haven’t had Bodhi. Widely regarded as Columbus’s best and it is always in the conversation of Ohio’s best beer. Not best IPA (it’s a DIPA) but Best Overall beer.

Two terrible misses on my part not calling out the Jackie O's or the Bodhi. I generally try to stay away from the imperials as much as I can (unless it's a Hoof Hearted), thus the Bodhi oversight. From Athens, I like the Mystic Mama ok but I really like the Mandala series. Very piney... love it. I'm definitely a hophead, but I do like a good stout and man.... Jackie O's kills the stouts!!

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2017, 05:35:49 PM »
@schaefd2 My bro lives near you. There is a bottle shop up there than now has Zombie Dust 100% of the time. Did you know that?  I sent you an untapped request.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2017, 05:36:26 PM »
@robs2 Glad to know you’ve had both of them! I usually skip on the imperials as well (too big) but Bodhi is an exception. I love Dark Apparition and Oil of Aphrodite (and their Bourbon barrel versions). Sounds like you’d be a great drinking buddy hahaha but damn Mandalas are expensive. Only reason I haven’t tried them.

Pick up some Good Vibes from Voodoo. They’re from Meadville Pa (where my in laws are from) and they just started distributing to Cbus. If you can find it, try some.

I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2017, 05:38:51 PM »
Oh here we go... now we're gonna get into a whole Pennsylvania conversation!!! [emoji12]

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2017, 05:55:27 PM »

Oh here we go... now we're gonna get into a whole Pennsylvania conversation!!! [emoji12]

LOL I’d welcome it! Because outside of Good Vibes, and a couple others from Voodoo, I have had nothing but mediocre beer from Northwest PA. if there’s something I’m missing out there, please let me know. I’m headed to Clarion to Friday.

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2017, 06:37:32 PM »
My 2 favorite PA breweries are Brew Gentlemen in Pittsburgh and Tired Hands near Philly (Ardmore maybe?). Brew Gents General Braddock is my favorite. My "other brother", also a hophead with a proper pallet, thinks Tired Hands Alien Church is about the best beer he's ever had (He rated it higher than a fresh Younger he had in Santa Rosa in fact... for what that's worth).  I'm not sure you'll find Brew Gents outside of Pittsburgh but I know Tired Hands is available in NYC so I would think you might find it in NW PA.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »
I think craft beer is as crazy as people collecting Weber Kettles. [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2017, 03:37:05 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the ones who beer trade and ship beer across the nation. I used to be that way. Now, I just walk in to the store and pick from what’s available. It’s much more enjoyable that way. [emoji23]

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »

Maybe the ones who beer trade and ship beer across the nation. I used to be that way. Now, I just walk in to the store and pick from what’s available. It’s much more enjoyable that way. [emoji23]

When I moved to a small town this year my choices became very limited. I can actually get very good IPAs and a few others here, but they are the same beers all the time.

I figured I was "doing it wrong," because I was never as contented as the joe six-packs who were happy with their same choice eery week. I wanted to try everything within my reach. I traveled. I spent. And now I'm spent.

I often felt as if I was buying the label, and worse, that I *should* be drinking a nice beer when I didn't necessarily want it. Time to stop, not just slow down. It's not that I don't appreciate better beer, trust me I do, but as a hobby I couldn't sustain it on several levels. I learned I'd rather go without than drink something that was merely very good but not great. Pathetic, I know!

I got the flu or something similar a little over a month ago and wanted no booze. Haven't had, nor wanted, any beer since. I had been looking for a way out. I still drink everything else, but it's refreshing to not treat booze like water. For ME.

But if you draw my name from a hat, heck yeah send me something good!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Talus

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2017, 12:52:04 PM »
Northwest PA beers!  Voodoo has the classic Winona's Big Brown Ale as well.  There is a place in Venango (near Meadville) Called Sprague's Farm and Brewworks.  Great beer, but as far as I know they don't bottle.  There is also North Country Brewing in Slippery Rock. They do can, but it don't like it as much as the draft.

Talus

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2017, 12:53:16 PM »
Akron has Thirsty Dog and Hoppin' Frog two great breweries.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2017, 05:05:45 PM »
Northwest PA beers!  Voodoo has the classic Winona's Big Brown Ale as well.  There is a place in Venango (near Meadville) Called Sprague's Farm and Brewworks.  Great beer, but as far as I know they don't bottle.  There is also North Country Brewing in Slippery Rock. They do can, but it don't like it as much as the draft.

Thanks @Talus! I know all those places [emoji23] Voodoo is by far the best IMO. I’d love to go to Spragues someday. My bro-in-laws went and loved it. North County is OK but too far from Clarion or Erie. Big Secret Pizza Party from Voodoo is very VERY good. If you’re ever in Clarion, hit up Toby Hill Bar and Grill. It’s the greatest shitty bar I’ve been to out there. I’ll be there tomorrow night actually lol gotta escape the inlaws!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:17:17 PM by Schaefd2 »

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2017, 05:07:46 PM »

...hit up Toby Hill Bar and Grill. It’s the greatest shitty bar I’ve been to out there. I’ll be there tomorrow night actually lol gotta escape the inlaws!

HA!

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2017, 05:15:20 PM »

When I moved to a small town this year my choices became very limited. I can actually get very good IPAs and a few others here, but they are the same beers all the time.

I figured I was "doing it wrong," because I was never as contented as the joe six-packs who were happy with their same choice eery week. I wanted to try everything within my reach. I traveled. I spent. And now I'm spent.

I often felt as if I was buying the label, and worse, that I *should* be drinking a nice beer when I didn't necessarily want it. Time to stop, not just slow down. It's not that I don't appreciate better beer, trust me I do, but as a hobby I couldn't sustain it on several levels. I learned I'd rather go without than drink something that was merely very good but not great. Pathetic, I know!

I got the flu or something similar a little over a month ago and wanted no booze. Haven't had, nor wanted, any beer since. I had been looking for a way out. I still drink everything else, but it's refreshing to not treat booze like water. For ME.

But if you draw my name from a hat, heck yeah send me something good!

Im right there with ya @addicted-to-smoke! Except I’m in Columbus where I have near infinite choices - and I STILL shipped beer to get the famous or rare stuff. I couldn’t walk into a beer store without dropping $50. It was getting bad. I hit a wall one day (that’s another story) and thank God I hit that wall because drinking beer was enjoyable after that. I took a break from crafty stuff and only drank my namesake beer (Schaefer Beer 30 pack for $17!) Thanks to my wife’s encouragement, I learned to just pick from whatever is available when I go. To consider a craft beer as a treat and be thankful for what i have to choose from.
Turns out there are so many great beers out there that you’ll miss if you spend hours researching it!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:16:54 PM by Schaefd2 »

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2017, 05:34:46 PM »
@schaefd2
I just remembered another good Cbus Brewery... Seventh Son I think?  I didn't think they were nearly as good as HH overall, but they had an IPA that was money. Will have to ask my brother what it was called.