Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Maple Ginger Chicken Thighs - Recipe Included  (Read 2715 times)

Cellar2ful

Maple Ginger Chicken Thighs - Recipe Included
« on: November 02, 2017, 08:21:20 PM »

This is great recipe my wife has been cooking for years in the oven.  Inspired by WKC members posting their cooks in cast iron pans,  I too have started cooking it in in a Griswold on the Weber.

INGREDIENTS

-1 shallot, finely sliced
-3/4 cup apple cider
-1/2 cup dark pure maple syrup
-1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
-1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus 5 sprigs for the roasting pan
-3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
-1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
-6 or 8 chicken thighs (I use organic chicken in this recipe otherwise there is tremendous amount of chicken fat oil to drain off)
-3 medium apples, cored and sliced

In a medium bowl whisk the shallot, cider, maple syrup, grated ginger, apple cider vinegear, chopped thyme leaves, kosher salt and ground pepper. 

Pour marinade into a large ziplock bag and add in the chicken thighs. Seal the bag and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator 12-24 hours.

After the chicken has marinated, remove the chicken and place in a large cast iron skillet or baking dish. Arrange the apple slices and thyme sprigs around the chicken. Pour the marinate over the chicken and cook on the Weber (or oven @400 degrees) for 1 hour.  Baste the chicken at least once while cooking.

We serve it over a bed of farro. Wild rice could also be used.  Both absorb all the fantastic juices.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Maple Ginger Chicken Thighs - Recipe Included
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 08:37:09 PM »
Looks excellent Jim! What type(s) of apples did you use?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 08:41:22 PM »
We use Fuji apples Mike.   Tried using Gala apples and they cooked down to much.  Turned into apple sauce.  Also, the next time I will rotated the pan at the half hour mark.  As you can see, one side of the chicken skin was really crispy whereas the other side did not get enough heat to crisp.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:58:01 AM by Cellar2ful »

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 02:12:35 AM »
Thanks for sharing! What size cast iron is that? I'm assuming 10" given there's a "10" by the handle?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 04:33:16 AM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 02:29:35 AM »
Good looking recipe and cook right there.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 02:58:08 AM »
Looks delicious ! Thx for sharing !

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 04:37:56 AM »
Thanks for sharing! What size cast iron is that? I'm assuming 10" given there's a "10" by the handle?

Yes, and a size 10 is probably the most common size skillet size. FYI the size number isn't exactly what the thing measures, certainly not at the top rim.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 07:57:06 AM »

@Firemunkee -  Just measured the pan to make sure.  It is 10" wide at the bottom of the pan and 11.5" at the top.  The sides flare out towards the top. In taking the measurement I noticed this pan is actually a Wagner Ware, not a Griswold. I have several vintage cast iron pieces and they all look the same to me.  You have to turn them over and look at the bottom to locate the brand.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 08:34:35 AM »

@Firemunkee -  Just measured the pan to make sure.  It is 10" wide at the bottom of the pan and 11.5" at the top.  The sides flare out towards the top. In taking the measurement I noticed this pan is actually a Wagner Ware, not a Griswold. I have several vintage cast iron pieces and they all look the same to me.  You have to turn them over and look at the bottom to locate the brand.
Thanks for the info! I'm adding it to my long wish list.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »
Nice cook Jim!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 04:14:28 PM »

Thought I'd bump this recipe as I did this recipe again but this time using the Slow 'N Sear.  It was a high heat, all vents open cook for 1 hour with the water tray filled. Much better even heat with the SNS opposed to using charcoal baskets. Used @CatskillSmoker Maple Syrup this time. Awesome stuff.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 04:11:38 AM »
@Cellar2ful that looks awesome
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 04:48:45 AM »
Delicious looking Jim. Glad you enjoy the syrup. Maybe we should put together a Maple Syrup/Sugar cook thread. 

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 12:11:59 PM »
That’s going on my to do list. I make a maple glazed chicken in the fall in my oven, never thought to try it on the grill.

I’d dearly love a maple cook thread. I’ve quit using sugar for the most part and maple syrup and honey are my sweetness of choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 12:19:44 PM »
Sweet looking cook, gj

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app