Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: School this newbie on Briquettes please!  (Read 2274 times)

robs2

• WKC Brave
School this newbie on Briquettes please!
« on: September 19, 2017, 12:16:25 PM »
So I bought my first bag of briquettes last week and I'm almost out.  I chose the Weber for $20/bag over the "on-sale" Kingsfords @ 2 bags for $10.  As a new griller, I didn't really have a reason to justify that purchase other than I had big plans for my first cook - an $85 bone in double prime rib roast... and I didn't want inferior coals to be a reason for failure - it wasn't  ;)

That said, what advise can you pros give on selecting charcoal/briquettes?

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
School this newbie on Briquettes please!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:55:37 PM »
It's really all a matter of preference.

Some people like/dislike certain brands because of the heat, ash, aroma, burn time, and cost per lb.

Some people here prefer lump charcoal to Briquettes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: School this newbie on Briquettes please!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 02:24:09 PM »
^^^^^^ What he said.

The thing is, I can tell you that there's nothing wrong with Kingsford and I use it exclusively with no problems and that I seen reason to change when I get almost 40 lbs for $10.  And all that is true.

The someone else will come in and say that KBB is terrible.  It has a bad aftertaste and leaves a HUGE amount of ash.  And, for him/her, that is true, also.

What you should do is to try a couple of different bags and see what makes you and your family the happiest.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 03:51:03 PM »
With me or depends what I'm cooking. If it's something fast, then it really doesn't matter. If it's something I'm cooking slow, I want something that is going to last a while like stubbs which is in my opinion at good as Weber Briquettes but cheaper. I buy both Stubb's and Royal oak. Stubb's is hotter with less ash, Royal oak not as hot and burns faster with more ash.
So really you need to compare apples to apples with the same food like steak or hamburgers and something low and slow like a chicken or roast with something like Stubb's.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 04:09:38 PM »
I got no problem with KBB for general hot grilling....
I do prefer RO briqs for low and slow...Or better yet lump...

I have noticed that when using my Vortex that the KBB runs about 100 degrees hotter than the RO briqs...

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 05:38:50 PM »
Boxers or briefs?
Chevy or Ford?

Everyone will have their reasons for using the fuel they do. Try some brands you can get and formulate your own opinion. Like most things this is a give and take decision. Lower cost (kbb) is usually a lot of smoke, a lot of ash, and take or leave the smell. Higher cost Weber briquettes lower ash, long burn time, less smoke at the start and burns clean (thin blue smoke not white) at $1/lb.

Find your happy charcoal place and grill on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 10:58:11 PM »
Don't worry about it. Just buy a bag and cook. You'll figure out your favorites.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 05:43:45 AM »
As previously mentioned, Weber did (and may still do, I can ask the guys in the lab) used basic Kingford for ALL testing.  1) consistency, 2) availability to the public.  At the time, Weber Heat Beads ran notoriously hot and quite pricy.  Even back then, they'd send me home with bags and bags of Kingsford...

So I use what's on sale, usually a couple bags at Walmart is cheap.  Sometimes some Royal Oak as a back up.

If you great once in a while, you're not going through a lot.  I grill 3 or 4 times a week -I even gather up the half burned ones and use those.

Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Beachdude

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 09:35:43 AM »
For my everyday grilling, I prefer lump, Royal Oak to be precise. But if I'm doing a slow cook with briquettes, I like Stubbs. Just my personal preference. Like the others have said, the best way to find out what you like best, is to just experiment with different brands. I have used KBB and have nothing against it. I just seem to like that way the Stubbs burns and IMO, I get a better taste from the meat.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
^^^^^^ What he said.

The thing is, I can tell you that there's nothing wrong with Kingsford and I use it exclusively with no problems and that I seen reason to change when I get almost 40 lbs for $10.  And all that is true.

The someone else will come in and say that KBB is terrible.  It has a bad aftertaste and leaves a HUGE amount of ash.  And, for him/her, that is true, also.

What you should do is to try a couple of different bags and see what makes you and your family the happiest.

BD

THIS!!!!!

I grew up on KBB and have tried a few other types/brands of charcoal and always come back to kingsford.  That being said I do really like the Weber Briquettes.  I bought 500 lbs of it when it was on clearance at Target for $5.98 a bag.  I'm not looking forward to running out and having to decide if I am switching back to KBB or if I am going to be fine paying $14.99-19.99 for a Weber.  The Home Depot by me has a new regular price of $14.99 on Weber.  I've also moved to Denver recently and found that the altitude does affect the temp I can get from charcoal.  I think the Weber coal burns hotter so it has made it easier to adapt to the altitude.  There is also less ash with the Weber Briquettes.

As others have said, just try a few options out and figure out what works best for you.  If you grill 4-6 days a week like I do, you might find that KBB is the best bang for your buck if you stock up when it is on sale....a good sale for KBB should work out to 26-27 cents per pound.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 02:47:14 PM »

For my everyday grilling, I prefer lump, Royal Oak to be precise. But if I'm doing a slow cook with briquettes, I like Stubbs. Just my personal preference. Like the others have said, the best way to find out what you like best, is to just experiment with different brands. I have used KBB and have nothing against it. I just seem to like that way the Stubbs burns and IMO, I get a better taste from the meat.
This guy knows what's up. I totally agree beachdude, except I use GFS lump which is RO rebranded. Best stuff on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »
My advise for new grillers is to buy one brand and stick with that to learn to cook.  After your technique is down the start experimenting with other brands.  I like Weber for longer cooks and kbb for normal grilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 03:12:31 PM »
Great info guys. Thanks. How does lump behave differently? Hotter but quicker cook?

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 05:54:07 AM »
Great info guys. Thanks. How does lump behave differently? Hotter but quicker cook?

Yeah lump burns hotter, cleaner, and usually burns longer...

I tried a bag of Kingsford professional and was not impressed...I thought it burned up faster than the KBB...

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 08:39:31 AM »
It seems to me that lump burns faster than say Stubb's and Weber brand Briquettes.
But it is hotter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app