Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Got some spares on  (Read 1871 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
Got some spares on
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »
I didn't smoke this weekend. SWMBO and I ran 26.2 miles on Saturday in Olathe KS (*) and then drove back home on Sunday. Then we packed for our next adventure! We're helping my son build a shed at his new (to him) house in Michigan. As part of the adventure they go through their freezer and pull out whatever meat they want me to cook. Today it is a rack of spare ribs. The only smoker I have here is a mini-WSM I built for my son so I'm using his SS Performer instead. I filled one charcoal basket and lit it off with his weed burner. Once going, I threw some hickory chips on the coals and put the ribs on. Our daughter-in-law is a Pampered Chef something-or-other so I'm using one of their rubs - Buffalo Rub. Ribs have been on since 3:15 and temperature started about 350°F and has been drifting down as low as 220°. Every once in a while I throw more coals on to keep the basket more or less full and alternate between cherry and hickory chips.

Here's where they started at 3:15 PM

And at 6:40 PM

And they still need a little more. The meat has not yet started to pull back on the bones. I should probably pick them up and see how much bend there is in the rack.

OK, just checked again and after four hours they just don't feel done. Our work is done for the day and I'm ready to eat! That gives me time to prepare something else so the broccoli  found in the fridge will be brushed with EVOO and get some Dijon rub sprinkled on it. When the ribs are almost done I'll grill the broccoli directly over the coals.

(*) If you ever get to Olathe KS or Kansas City, look for Oklahoma Joe's BBQ. We had lunch there after the marathon and it did not disappoint.
kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Got some spares on
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 04:49:39 PM »

Now wait just a dang minute...............I've never grilled broccoli direct, I know you're ready to eat, but I hope we get a pic of that..... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »
Nice looki'n grub Hank!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »
Now wait just a dang minute...............I've never grilled broccoli direct, I know you're ready to eat, but I hope we get a pic of that..... ;D
Sorry, no pix tonight, but you really need to try this. Just brush on some EVOO sprinkle with some S&P and grill direct.

The ribs were good but not spectacular. They never did pull back off the bone, even after 5 hours at an average temp of about 275. They baffled me. They also didn't have as much meat as I'm used to. Maybe that's why. The buffalo rub gave them a nice zing.
kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 03:29:22 AM »

A good vote for foiling the ribs, which I almost never do......

Did you use large trees of the broc & does it soften, or get more crunchy?

Signed,
    ~~~>Baffled
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 03:26:41 PM »
I think they could have been foiled to benefit, though they weren't dry. I decided they were shiners because there was no meat on the side of the bones opposite the membrane.

I'm doing chicken, pheasant, broccoli and asparagus today on the grill and I'll try to get some pix. The broccoli and asparagus are direct grilled so they have some color but you don;t want them to get too limp. Well, I don't anyway. I've also done broccoli raab this way.
kettles, smokers...

wolgast

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »
Looks stellar!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 05:57:09 PM »
Looks good to me!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......