Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Smoke on the WSM  (Read 2770 times)

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
First Smoke on the WSM
« on: April 01, 2017, 02:15:10 AM »
I picked up an L-Code WSM for $75 off of CL. Gave it a good cleaning and had to replace the grill straps but other then that it's in great shape.

Today is its first cook. Pulled pork for 30... Little worried about cooking for a party when I've never used a WSM before, but should be fun. Here she is...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
Re: First Smoke on the WSM
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 04:47:12 AM »
@Neil_VT00 Hope it goes well!  You got an early start! 

Any in progress pics?

What rub(s) are you using??

What Temp are you cooking at?

Using any gadgets? (Probes, Therms)

My first go on my 18.5 was a little intimidating to say the least.  I used too many STUBBS starter coals for the minion and she ran away on me.  Hitting temps of 350!!!  It took a good hour of adjusting the bowl Vents to stabilize the temps.  Once she settled it, it was a breeze.  For me, I completely close two bottom vents and leave one open about 1/2 way with the Lid vent 75% open. 

Once you get your head wrapped around what your WSM Does, it becomes second nature.  its a great feeling when you can get so good with your WSM, you just "Set it and Forget it"... well for a few hours anyway... :)

Good luck and can't wait to see the finished product!!

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 04:49:19 AM »
Good luck! Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 07:50:53 AM »
Things are moving along. Hit the stall and wrapped the butts with some apple juice.

I've been running at 240-250 all morning with very little adjustment. It's been running amazingly consistently.

Jeff, I'll update with all of the details after the party.

RSHU

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 08:01:19 AM »
looking good!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 06:03:57 AM »
Everyone at the party really enjoyed the pork which made getting up at 5am to start it well worth it.  @jeffrackmo here's the full run down of what I did:

-Cooked with KBB.  Started with a fully charcoal chamber. Lit 20 coals and put them on top followed by some pecan chunks.  Water pan was wrapped in foil, nothing in it.
-Maverick ET-732 for pit and meat temp.
-Two boston butts (17 lbs in total) were trimmed and rubbed with Andy Nelson's Dixie BBQ Rub (http://www.andynelsonsbbq.com/product/dixie-bbq-rub/)
-Temp settled in at about 240 with a 10 degree swing either way. I ran the top vent fully opened and two bottom vents closed with the 3rd at about 50% open.
-Smoked them dry for about 4-5 hours
-Placed in a roasting pan (above) with a little apple juice and covered. A friend suggested this to me and since I was on a timeline I figured it would help get me through the stall faster so I gave it a try.
-Put the pans back on the cooker and let them go until the butts hit 205 which was at about 2:30-3:00.
-Placed in a cooler and let it rest until just before (4:00) the party when I shredded it and lightly sauced with a Sweet Baby Rays.

Smoker didn't shut down well which tells me the door was letting in a lot of air because the vents are tight.  Not sure if I will gasket it or go with the CB door but I will likely do something there.  Additionally, I'm going to add a probe grommet as well.  Running them through the lid vent was a PITA.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 06:04:50 AM »
Some finished pics. My tying job was pretty pitiful because I ran out of string.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
First Smoke on the WSM
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 06:31:54 AM »
Pork looks phenomenal. No surprise here, but I would recommend the cb door and latch over a gasket. I couldn't shut down prior to the door and I had to cook with top vent half and 1 vent cracked. Since changing the door, I run dampers mostly open.  Best $50 I've spent on an accessory. The latch is a must imo. It draws the door nice and tight.

Also, it shuts down just like a kettle now.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 08:48:07 AM »
Looks like a great cook!! Pork looked amazing!!!  I bet it was delicious!!!  Thanks for the pix!!
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 02:09:08 PM »
Great job, Neal ! ! !

I like the Cajun Bandit door recommendation as well.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

jrob0144

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 05:34:17 PM »
Just wait until you try some ribs! I loved my 18" WSM so much I went out and bought a 22". They are great cookers. You will really enjoy cooking on it. 

Jesse Robinson

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 04:24:37 AM »
   Glad everything came out perfect. Looking at your first pic thats a lot of smoke coming out from under the lid. Cheaper alternative would be to get some gasket material for the lid and door. Then check out the unknownbbq hinge and hanger, those are two of the most underated accessories for your smoker, kid you not.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 05:12:38 AM »
Thanks @filibuster. The first pic was when I first started it. As time went on and the lid got some gunk on it there was no more smoke from the lid.

I'll check out the hinge and the hanger. Thanks.

WEBERNV

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 07:05:10 PM »
+1 on the CBS door, game changer for me. Heck you saved so much dough on the WSM you can hopefully splurge on the door.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 10:43:42 PM »
Man I love that wood handle  ...  my WSM has a white plastic (2002) and I haven't put a woody on it yet (can I say woody on this forum ???).   Great look'n pork as well.   My WSM has it's factory door and I massaged it into a very good fit with some hand work (am I allowed to say massaged & hand work on the forum ???).
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".