Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First go around with packer brisket  (Read 2424 times)

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
First go around with packer brisket
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:01:43 AM »
Tonight I will be endeavoring into a world unknown. A midnight cook with a 10 lb whole brisket on the 18" WSM. I've been researching quite a bit to try and get this thing done right. I'm hoping to weasel some more information out of anyone here that has had good experiences and bad experiences. Let me know what you all have done that you would definitely do again, also let me know what you would definitely never ever do again. I have no idea what time it will be done, I'm just guesstimating around 1 to 1.5 hours per pound at 225 - 250 smoker temp. I'm also planning on doing burnt ends with the point. I'll keep up with this post from step 1 to the end. I'll be trimming and seasoning here shortly.

Thanks yall
Crate n Barrel Grass Green - Target Copper - Blue OTG - 14 & 18 WSM

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
Re: First go around with packer brisket
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:10:54 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 10:05:52 AM »
I've never done an overnight cook but my advice is don't rush the brisket. Don't go by internal temp either. If the probe goes in like butter then she's done and ready to rest. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 10:17:58 AM »
I haven't done overnight either but looking forward to following this. Good luck.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 10:26:35 AM »
I have done 3 full packer  briskets in my 18 WSM around 17#. I usually cut them in half and put the point on the top grate and the flat on the bottom.  All three times the point and the flat finished at almost the same time. I have not done and overnight cook yet with it. I usually run about 200 briquettes of Stubb's and 6 or 8 blocks of Oak or hickory. Usually get about 13 hours of burn time at about 250 this way. I also don't run water in my bowl. Just balls of tinfoil the size of Racket balls half filling the bowl and a couple sheets over the top for the grease to collect in.

will drive to pick up a 26" ash pan.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 10:51:29 AM »
I did an overnight cook on my 22" WSM. Kept the temps around 225-250. Once it got stabilized it hummed along at those temps until I was ready to take it off in the morning.

Biggest piece of advice I would give is start the fire and put the meat on early enough to give you time to make sure the temps stabilize and you have your vents adjusted appropriately.

I also had a wireless thermometer next to my bed and woke up a few times to check it.

Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 04:19:28 PM »
Well burnt ends are definitely the way to go, so you're good there.
I don't do briskets a lot, but I like to do all my butts and briskets over night. I try to run between 225-250, I don't wrap either, and also like to keep water in the pan for overnighters to help stabilize the temps.
Just run until probe tender, wrap and then rest at least an hour, you'll be okay.
One good tip I have is to cut a little notch off the flat against the grain so you know what way to cut when you pull it off, it can be sometimes hard to tell after it cooks.
Good luck!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 04:27:47 PM »
I frequently start my cooks late afternoon and they then go into the wee hours of the morning. I hope your time management is beter than mine. ;)

Good luck with your brisker - they're really good!
kettles, smokers...

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
First go around with packer brisket
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 05:33:31 PM »
Salt n Pepper. 250ish. Don't open the lid until about 5 hours. Wrap in butcher paper. Lid down another few hours. Pull when probe tender. Patience, beer, patience, coffee and more patience. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 05:43:50 PM »
Like @Travis said, salt and pepper is all need seasoning wise. I usually throw mine on around 11 or midnight and let it hum along between 225-250 whichever it settles at. Usually finishes around 5-6 in the evening, but you never know, it's done when it's done.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 04:59:14 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys. There was a delay, will be throwing it on tonight.

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 06:02:08 AM »
So I finally got around to putting this thing together. I put on at 7:30 last night. We are 14.5 hours in. Smoker kept between 210-250 through the night. Had to throw some more charcoal in this morning. Hanging at 220 right now with meat temp at 168 in the thickest part of the flat. Pretty sure we are in the stall right now as temp hasn't moved in quit a bit.  I was able to snap a few pics.

Before trim:

14.5 hours in:

More to come.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 06:15:58 AM »
Looking good👍
What kind of charcoal and wood combo did you end up using?
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 06:24:29 AM »
@Kneab Kingsford blue and a little bit of hickory.

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 11:45:33 AM »
Ran into a snag. But all is good now. I had to run and pick the kids up and while I was gone a storm swept through and blew my canopy away.

When I got back, everything under here was soaked. But we're back in business now.