Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Year's Eve cook  (Read 2267 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New Year's Eve cook
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 05:57:09 AM »

Hoosier. Those look amazing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Thanks guys. It was a lot of fun. I really got along great with the wsm this time. Held temp perfectly. Not sure what I did differently. Guess I'm finally getting to know it better.

KevinP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 05:59:35 AM »
Still getting to know my WSM. Only got it in June so my first winter cook was yesterday.  We have to keep practicing.  Smoke on!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 05:59:41 AM »
Dang man, those look perfect! Aren't ya glad you held on to that wsm now? Nice job man

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
New Year's Eve cook
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 06:31:04 AM »
Dang man, those look perfect! Aren't ya glad you held on to that wsm now? Nice job man

Thanks and yes I am glad. It was the weirdest thing. First couple of times I fought high temps the whole time and only had 1 vent cracked on the bottom and top vent cracked. This time I had 2 bottom vents wide open and top vent wide open and it never got above 250. Only thing I did different was i kept my kbb in a tight formation around perimeter of ring with center open to the grate. I started it with a 3/4 full chimney of used lump coal leftover from a wing cook. I dumped the lump in the middle open area. I was thinking it would start off hot, but it didn't at all. I had to continue opening vents the first hour to get temps up!  Then it sat at 240 ish for the next 3 1/2 hours. Outside temp was around 50 so it wasn't that cold either. I will repeat this process on the next cooks and hopefully have similar results.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 06:33:12 AM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 06:38:00 AM »
Also I left membrane on and scored. I think they cook better that way. I'll never remove membrane again.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 06:44:58 AM »
Also I left membrane on and scored. I think they cook better that way. I'll never remove membrane again.

I stopped pulling the membrane too. I do score it, but in my head I think it helps stay together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 07:07:01 AM »
Looks awesome!