Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Well....I tried (Update)  (Read 9636 times)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Well....I tried (Update)
« on: March 30, 2013, 03:42:33 PM »
So I have been stalking this Avocado near my house, and today I finally had the chance to stop by and see if it may be for sale...Here is a picture I took a while ago

I drove by to see if it was still out there and sure enough it was.  So I pulled in the driveway.  I got out and approached the door, even before I was able to knock the door opened and I was met by a scraggly bearded man, who may or may not have had less than ten teeth.  I said hello and I had a strange question to ask....He gave me a strange look, I told him I was a collector of old Webers and asked if he might be willing to sell or trade the old grill out behind the garage.  He didn't even take two seconds and he told me no, he really liked his grill and he uses it a lot.  I said okay I can respect someone who is attached to their Weber.  I asked if I could at least look at it.  He said sure and he actually had another "red one" out behind the shed.  So we went to look.  The Avocado was in pretty decent shape, minimal chips, the handle was totally shot, but otherwise very nice.  It had the skinny whitewall plastic wheels.  The redhead out behind the shed was decent as well, and to literally top it off, it had a Corn N Tater rack sitting on top...I asked if he would part with it but he said no... So I told him I would give him some handles to replace the ones he had that were rotted.  He was happy...I was just trying to spread a little Weber Karma around.....I told him thanks for letting me look at his grills, and we shook hands.  He said his name was Don.  He told me he and his buddy have cook outs all the time and they love their grills.  His friend has five black Webers.  So even though there was no score I at least I tried, and because of an old Weber grill, I met a nice guy. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:29:52 PM by zavod44 »
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
Re: Well....I tried
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 03:46:20 PM »
too bad on the cado Brian, but still pretty cool that he would yap at ya. Love the respect.
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 04:51:08 PM »
I'm totally into the Karma deal Brian. Good for you to pass some aliong to the guy. It will come back to you in some unexpected way soon.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Cool visit!

You made sure it was not abandoned. Can you blame him for not wanting to get rid of it?
kettles, smokers...

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »
He was into the old grills, it was pretty cool...I figure if he's still excited and cooking for a bunch of people like Buckie does then the least I could do is give him some fresh handles to keep them in the fight for a while longer.....he said he needed the tater rack, he said he uses it all the time...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:09:23 PM by zavod44 »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 06:33:56 PM »
I shed a tear over that story.. Did you give him your card, just in case he may want to sell it isomeday?  Or are you going to stop by every couple months and share a few war stories?
You know how it starts, a handle here, a hanlde there and before you no it, you get em hooked on a monthly diet of fresh handles for there old kettles..
Thats how it started for me.
Hello Everyone, my name is AJ, and I am addicted to Webers.. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 07:15:19 PM »
When I go back, I'll give him my number, either way it's all good...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 07:59:45 PM »

"and before you no it, you get em hooked on a monthly diet of fresh handles for there old kettles.....Thats how it started for me."

^^^^^ You do know what that is, don't you?

that is a good story Brian.....it will come back around & the other thing I was thinking about is that there's WAY MORE guys like that who just grill away as a part of "The  Silent BBQ Majority", than there is off the deepend types like us...... I paid particular attention to the fact he had a 'grillin' buddy' & that they get together & cook ( on Webers, of course !!! )
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 08:07:37 PM »
I drove by his buddies house....I saw five older Webers on his driveway....

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 08:15:53 PM »
I shed a tear over that story.. Did you give him your card, just in case he may want to sell it isomeday?  Or are you going to stop by every couple months and share a few war stories?
You know how it starts, a handle here, a hanlde there and before you no it, you get em hooked on a monthly diet of fresh handles for there old kettles..
Thats how it started for me.
Hello Everyone, my name is AJ, and I am addicted to Webers.. 8)
Great story Brian and another great reply from AJ. ;D Would it be possible for you to get a picture of him with his installed handles next to his cado?

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 08:30:49 PM »
Great story!  Good of ya to pass along new handles for the older grills.  Hopefully Don looks at them every time he opens the lid.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Craig

• WKC Mod
Well....I tried
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 10:10:16 PM »
Great read, Brian! Your kettle karma just went up today for sure. Sounds like these guys are pretty passionate about their Webers and their cooking. Did you tell him about WKC?

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 12:53:26 PM »
nice story. when you go back to put the handle on, get a better picture of it!

i spotted an 18" two tone redhead the other day in the ghetto. no freaking way i'm knocking on that door.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 01:09:38 PM »
That is a cool story Brian, if you could get a picture of both, i love Redheads ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 01:54:24 PM »
Great story Brian! Win some, loose some, but meat a person that respects Kettles, that is a win situation.