Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Both an exciting opportunity and a scary as f#%K thing to do!... UPDATE  (Read 4891 times)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
This Oct 8th here in Paso Robles is our towns Pioneer Day. A day that starts with a parade and then misc. happenings around town. Well, I have an uncle that has always wanted to get the family together for a bbq. So this year its finally going to happen, there will be 30-35 of us gathering at my moms house after the parade. Since I'm the one thats always posting my cooks on facebook (and because I have a lot of Webers and the family knows it) I was given the task of doing the grilling. It's something that maybe all of us here dream of doing, cooking for a large group, showing off our grilling prowess, not necessarily for the accolades but because its WHAT we love to do! I know a lot of you guys here have done this and some of you do it for a job, BUT We LOVE grilling, we strive to master that big (insert grill color here) bowl out on our patio!! AAANNNDDD at the same time its scary as FUCK!  I mean, I am in charge of SOMEONES LUNCH!!! and not just any someone, MY FAMILY! Mom, dad, sister, aunts uncles and cousins, HOLY CRAP, I CANT BREATHE.....  So my part of this shindig is cooking 5 or 6 tri tips and 2 chickens, shut up, its a lot to me :o .  I am doing the chickens on my rotisserie, i am torn for the tri tips, I want to do them on my red 26r but then again I am absolutely LOVING my santa maria attachment...on one hand I could probably get all 6 tips on the 26, not sure about them fitting on the SM. But anyways, I am really looking forward to doing this for my family, and if it goes south, KFC is 10 minutes down the road as a back up..LOL. If all goes well I will post pics on the 9th, if not, you'll never know cause I aint comin back here..LOL ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 07:14:27 PM by varekai »
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Both an exciting opportunity and a scary as f#%K thing to do!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 12:30:08 PM »
You'll do great man. Have a game plan and a backup plan. I remember when I did thanksgiving for my family. I was a nervous wreck. Had a bird in the oven just in case but the roto turkey came out great. Relax and act like it's just another cook

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 12:33:27 PM »
You'll do great man. Have a game plan and a backup plan. I remember when I did thanksgiving for my family. I was a nervous wreck. Had a bird in the oven just in case but the roto turkey came out great. Relax and act like it's just another cook

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Thanks..... i cant breathe again..LOL
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 01:23:20 PM »
My vote is to use both the 26r and the SM. Maybe reverse sear kind of, low and slow in the 26r (would love to see a pic of that red 26r btw) at the same time have the SM going to sear them off at the end (presentation and cool factor). I'm sure you've done a ton of roti chickens so you know they turn out great no matter what, even if over cooked a little. Maybe you could even include or recruit some family to help so it's a joint effort. Or maybe just save the joint for yourself! Lol. Have fun man! Sure it will be fine, but I don't blame ya for getting the jitters. I would too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 04:12:31 PM »
You can do it. Travis is right. Make it easy on yourself. You can start the chickens spinning and not worry about them for an hour and a quarter.

Set up the 26 for low and slow, about 225 or even 200. If you have a Maverick or some other temp probes then stick a couple of the tri tips and let them cook up to the temp that you want.

Coming up to temp slow like that you won't have much carryover cooking. Sear the tri tips at the end of the cook. Probably an hour and a half to do  all that. It will be a fun cook.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 05:27:47 PM »
Lol..! Good luck. It's Definately an experience. Use your thermapen. mind your food safety.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 05:49:45 PM »
@Travis , I'm thinkin your right. low and slow on the 26 and sear em off on the SM. @Jon , thanks, it will be fun, my family is a blast. and @MINIgrillin , LOL, I'll have several thermos, dont want nobody gettin sick on my shift!..lol  Thanks guys, you ALL really are helping... Hoping to get lots of pics and may even sneak the GoPro out and do some candid video.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 12:06:17 AM »
I've seen your food, you are a good cook. You'll get it done. And it will be a good time.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 06:08:27 AM »
Stick with what you know... You've done it before plenty of times!  Don't deviate from your foundation and skill!

A year or two ago a buddy asked me to smoke for a baby shower.  I said sure, how many people?  60.  SIXTY!!!!!??!!?!?

So I loaded up 4 butts on the WSM 22 for an overnight...and did 4 chickens in batches on my 22 Plum SS.  Stuck with what I'd done before tons of times and said "please don't let me screw this up" a few times ...

There were no leftovers.

Take pics!

Edit: I found a link to my cook...
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=14633.0
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:42:17 AM by blieb »
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 07:48:48 AM »
Dude, just do it

Birds on the roti, set 'em and forget 'em

And use the attachment! They'll fit!

And it's more fun than the 26er

Everyone will be hanging around you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dude, relax your chicken.

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 10:20:43 AM »
1) Don't sweat it.  It's nothing you haven't done before, just more of it.

2) it would be criminal not to use that SM attachment.  Showmanship plus!
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 01:33:44 PM »
You can do it.  I cooked for over 50 this weekend.  The key is planning.  First I plan what time I want everyone to eat.  Then I plan backwards on what I'm cooking and generally how long it takes to cook.  Once you have a start point, you should be good. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 04:58:53 PM »
Rule number one don't sweat the small stuff
Rule number two it's all small stuff
Just have fun!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 06:20:15 PM »
THANKS to ALL you guys!!  I appreciate everyones input and positive vibe... This WILL be fun, for 2 reasons, I get to grill and I have a GREAT family! I will definitely get pics and @blieb , I will just go with the flow that I know!..lol.   Thanks @Jon, I like to think it looks good too. @dazzo , SM it is, 26 will go for show, and back up..LOL.  @DarrenC , there is less sweat, for now.  @crowderjd , planning has begun, thanks.  @Shoestringshop , Your Right, in the scheme of things it is all small stuff!!  Wish there was a way ALL of us could gather and grill, you guys ROCK!!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 07:28:36 AM »
🐓🐃🐖  sending positive vibes! 🐷🐮🐔
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.