Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Do you think a performer delxue can replace a gas grill?  (Read 5862 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Do you think a performer delxue can replace a gas grill?
« on: March 31, 2016, 03:32:57 AM »
I need to replace the flavorizer bars and grates on my Weber Spirit. In addition to that, I often feel like space is limited on this grill.

So I've ran several scenarios in head..get a larger Weber gas grill (wait to find used genesis or summit), try out a Broil King gas grill, or see if a performer deluxe would fit the bill.

I use the gas grill for week night meals when cooking just a couple things for my wife and me. The gas grill, on occasion, also serves to hold food if using the kettles for various things.

So what say you? Is a performer deluxe a substitute for a gas grill? The biggest factor I take into consideration is ease of lighting. Lighting a gas grill vs a chimney is night and day with respect to time and convenience. Will the performer deluxe solve that?

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Re: Do you think a performer delxue can replace a gas grill?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 04:09:25 AM »
@jdefran

So I've ran several scenarios in head..get a larger Weber gas grill (wait to find used genesis or summit), try out a Broil King gas grill, or see if a performer deluxe would fit the bill

Wait to find used genesis or summit? = yes! I bought a Summit 400 dot 70.00 a few years ago and just missed a FREE Genesis GOLD on Chicago CL!

Try out a Broil King gas grill? I would stick with Weber. I have had a few gassers over the years and never again anything but a Weber!

If I got a New Free Gasser with any other name but Weber I would put it on CL without even opening it. Webers customer alone is worth the wait for a used one, plus you can always get parts.

That's my thoughts.  :D
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:43:46 AM »
A Performer with gas start will not be as hassle-free as a gasser. Charcoal still means dealing with ash "when you're not in the mood" and dumping lit into baskets or whatever. Always a bit more work but not tremendously so. Between dicking with that and waiting for coals to get hot it's what, about 1/2 hr time deficit?

Consider also square inches of cooking space. A 22 kettle can't hold more than most average gassers, but for just 2 people don't know why it shouldn't be big enough. Even a 2-burner Spirit can do well there?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 05:31:28 AM »
A Performer with gas start will not be as hassle-free as a gasser. Charcoal still means dealing with ash "when you're not in the mood" and dumping lit into baskets or whatever. Always a bit more work but not tremendously so. Between dicking with that and waiting for coals to get hot it's what, about 1/2 hr time deficit?

Consider also square inches of cooking space. A 22 kettle can't hold more than most average gassers, but for just 2 people don't know why it shouldn't be big enough. Even a 2-burner Spirit can do well there?

What he said. I use my performer 95% of the time, but you still have to deal with cleaning up the charcoal and ash. If you don't have the extra time to clean up on a charcoal grill then keep an eye out for a used gasser. You should be able to get one for $100 or below. 

However, if you find a used gasser, you most likely will end up having to replace the flavorizer bars.
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 10:52:23 AM »
The ash falls into a bucket.

Use lump, put in two baskets, place baskets over fire, go get food... come back ready to cook.

I am bias, but I think the whole "charcoal is harder" thing is crap. Maybe if you use lighter fluid, briquettes and a BBQ you have to scoop ash out of.... But with lump and a OTG the time and effort needed to deal with coal is practically nothing, and gas grill have a whole extra set of time and effort managing flare ups, keeping the flavorizer bars from accumulating crap, ect...

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »
I love my Performer but wouldn't consider ity a replacement for a gasser. If you need a gasser for small quick cooks, you might want to see if you can find a used Weber Q. No flavorizer bars to replace, they heat up fast and Gerry cook well. Plus you can get one of 3 sizes depending on your needs. Then go out and get that Performer food when you have the time for charcoal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 12:00:12 PM »
True about lump; less trips to the trash with less ash. A second charcoal grate placed 90 degrees helps save the small stuff. I also use charcoal warm up time for food prep.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jeff H

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 12:31:02 PM »
I wouldn't dream of replacing my Genesis with a Performer. The speed and convenience in this fast paced world can't be replicated with charcoal. With that said, I am actively looking for a Deluxe kettle as a second grill to keep my WSM company for the slower weekends when I have more time to cook.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 09:27:11 PM »
It's really all up to you.  That is; most of us cook with lump/charcoal on a kettle for the special outdoor flavor, weekdays and weekends regardless.  I found out early that the flavorizer bars don't give the flavor ize I'm looking for in my cooks.

So, for me, I plan the meal, light the TnG, put the Starter over the flames, make an adult beverage, turnoff the TnG, enjoy my drink with my wife, pour the hot coals into the char baskets and bring the kettle up to the temp I want.   I never see it as a chore to cook with lump/coal, it's more like an opportunity for a little cross communication time with my wife.

If your in a hurry, just turn on the burner on your kitchen range and start cooking.                           SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 02:36:16 AM »
We sold our gasser last fall after not using it at all after getting our 26. We have a Q for the times we really need a gas grill.

We light the charcoal chimney and do meal prep while the coals are getting ready. It has been a great process. It gives us plenty of time to prepare the meal and the grill is ready when we are.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Do you think a performer delxue can replace a gas grill?
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 03:46:39 AM »
Something else to keep in mind is grilling multiple meats on Sunday to use throughout the week. For example, this past Sundays  I grilled lamb, chicken thighs, chicken breast, and steak to use for meals throughout the week. My wife was able to reheat them and incorporate them into the meal. And I got to spend several hours grilling on Sunday.

If you went this route you could grill with charcoal since you would have more time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 12:32:23 PM »
If you like to use gas, there's nothing wrong with using gas.  From what I've seen/heard, the Weber grills are almost as trouble free as their kettles.  I've never owned one (I've owned other brands) but if I was getting another gas grill, I'd probably look for used Genesis and fix it up.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 05:06:26 PM »
Short answer is yes. Longer answer is it depends. I enjoy the process of firing up the kettle. It's relaxing to me. I have a Q220 and haven't used it in 5 years.

That said, I'm under 30 and don't have hungry screaming kids to make food for on a Wednesday night, so for me a gas grill accomplishes nothing. Speed is not the issue. Enjoying cooking is.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 05:15:52 PM »
I find that with my gas assist performers. Lightup time is auto pilot ..as others wrote..i simply lightup knowing the chimney/heatup time..so for me charcoal is zero process more than gasser...which hasnt been used since i changed to charcoal. 
Proper prep time for gasser is more time for me..whcih is removing grates and flavorizer bars...brushing the flav bars...scraping the grates...replacing all parts..lightup and then proper 15-20 grill warmup time...
Grills

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 05:39:25 PM »
I exclusively use a Performer, but what I don't like is the mess.  I use my leftover charcoal from the last time and dump it in my chimney.  I always get my hands really dirty, which isn't such a bad thing except I get the door hand dirty going inside to the sink.