Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Do you think a performer delxue can replace a gas grill?  (Read 5863 times)

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Do you think a performer delxue can replace a gas grill?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 03:13:08 AM »
My Q100 very convenient for last minute chicken breasts or burgers.  It's not nearly as satisfying as cooking on my performer though.  The gas start definitely helps and you can reuse charcoal left in the baskets easy enough (pull back over the burner). Lots of different stuff can be cooked all once.  Cleanup is simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Do you think a performer delxue can replace a gas grill?
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 03:28:00 AM »
All really good advice here. Sounds like its just up to you and what you prefer and what conveniences you want. No matter what you choose, you're grilling brother! Thats the key. Good luck!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 06:06:58 AM »
I exclusively use a Performer, but what I don't like is the mess.  I use my leftover charcoal from the last time and dump it in my chimney.  I always get my hands really dirty, which isn't such a bad thing except I get the door hand dirty going inside to the sink.

I bought a box of nitrile gloves which helps with that, although yeah the handle on the chimney gets dirty ... What I don't like is that I can't dump the chimney into the kettle without getting ash all over the table. So need to get a decent soft brush for that ...

Sometimes I think that Id rather have a custom lid mount holder away from the machine so that I can get access to all sides of the kettle.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 07:18:43 AM »
I exclusively use a Performer, but what I don't like is the mess.  I use my leftover charcoal from the last time and dump it in my chimney.  I always get my hands really dirty, which isn't such a bad thing except I get the door hand dirty going inside to the sink.

Latex gloves.
Still need a 22” yellow

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 07:32:16 AM »
I have a Weber Genesis that's in perfect working condition, but got the itch to move to charcoal after several friends also made the switch (albeit to big green eggs).   I took the plunge and bought a performer deluxe two months ago and have only turned on the gas grill once since then. 

With the gas grill, I could never get proficient in direct high heat searing and cooking because the pan on the bottom would catch fire too easily.    With the performer, everything cooks so perfectly and with beautiful grill marks.   

I'm at the point now where if I find a buyer for the Genesis I'm buying a second kettle. 

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 12:44:37 PM »

X3 on the gloves.  Not only are they good for keeping your hands clean when cleaning out the kettle, they're great for food prep.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 02:48:26 PM »
I love my Performers, but I still keep my gassers around. I have a Genesis 2 and a Q-200.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 04:34:20 PM »
Get a decent pair of extra tongs with a slightly wider head.

I do all my handling of grates, coal baskets and unlit charcoal with the tongs.  Keeps the hands clean.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2016, 07:48:07 AM »

X3 on the gloves.  Not only are they good for keeping your hands clean when cleaning out the kettle, they're great for food prep.

BD

I recommend black.
Still need a 22” yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 05:46:59 PM »
I replaced my gas grill a year ago with a performer platinum. I have yet to regret that decision. I use lump charcoal and it's ready to go from the chimney in about 15 minutes. Enough time for food prep and a beer to start the process.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MikeLucky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 08:06:35 PM »
Get a decent pair of extra tongs with a slightly wider head.

I do all my handling of grates, coal baskets and unlit charcoal with the tongs.  Keeps the hands clean.
This, so very much this. I have a set of very heavy gauge stainless steel tongs that I consider the very being of my bbq and grilling mojo.

My rigs are both the performer platinum and the Genesis 330.

I love my performer and will use it about 75% of the time.  As for startup... use my tongs to lift grill off of the performer and set aside.  Shake out the two baskets of any ash and pull them with the tongs and set aside. Pull charcoal grate with tongs and set aside.  Quick scrape of the kettle sides with grill brush and use the sweeper to clear ash into ash bin. Replace coal grate, then coal baskets. Fill baskets with charcoal and lite starter.  I don't even use a chimney anymore, just lite em up in the baskets. Whole process from opening kettle to coals ready takes roughly 12 to 15 minutes.

The Genesis comes in for occasional quick cooks and is almost exclusively used as a finisher when I'm smoking.  A typical smoke day for me starts with pork butt on kettle for two hours in smoke at 250. Then the butt gets pulled and placed in the Genesis (far left single burner on enough to keep 250 temp, with meat on the far right). Then 2 more baskets of coals get started and the 3 racks of ribs go on the kettle for 2 hours, then they join the butt in the Genesis. Finally the 20-30 wings go on the kettle with their own 2 baskets of fresh coals for 2 hours and will also join their pork friends in the Genesis on the upper rack. Usually by then the pork butt has had 6 hours, the ribs have had 4, and it's all ready to go.

I have a hose attached for my performer starter and am currently just hooking it up to the Genesis tank for starts. I'm going to buy a 5lb tank that will be exclusive for my performer and sit on the bottom rack next to the charcoal bin, or maybe even in the bottom of the bin.

So, my answer is both, but I know that may not be for everyone. For me standing between those two redheads is one of my very favorite sanctuaries.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:30:29 PM by MikeLucky »