Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Last Day of Spring Break  (Read 1710 times)

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
Last Day of Spring Break
« on: April 04, 2016, 07:46:05 AM »
Hi All,

I was smart enough to take an extra day off this year to recover from spring break - no kids.  So here I am on Monday alone with a butt and a Weber :-)

7.5 lbs and my very first attempt at cooking a Boston Butt.  Setup with the SnS and been going for 5 hours now.  SnS has held a great temp between 245 and 250 for a large majority of the time.  Rain crept in and knocked the temp down for a bit (amazing how a little rain cools the grill).  Current internal temp of the butt is 162.  Not looking forward to the dreaded stall.

Hardest thing for me is not to peek.  With the oven, I have a window to look into.  On the gasser, I never cooked anything but burgers and steaks.  So this is a test for me :-)

Result pics later.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Last Day of Spring Break
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 01:32:09 PM »
1) Kettle -- √
2) Maverick -- √
3) Little Sumpin' Sumpin' -- √

Looking good from here. Let 'er ride!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 02:23:41 PM »
How's it looking?  Or have you not looked yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 06:39:25 PM »
Hi All,

Final results pre-pull:

Post pull:

Notes on the pork:
1) Super tender and moist.
2) My 2 boys went back for seconds (always impressive when both go back for more).
3) Bark: I'm not a big fan of Meathead's Memphis Dust, 2nd time I tried it and it just isn't my fav.  Really like his website, but looking for some other homemade rubs - suggestions?

Notes on the cook:
1) The SnS worked like a champ for the first 5 hours, then temp dropped drastically. Finally opened up the lid and most of the fuel had been spent.  It was a windy day here but I was still a little surprised by how fast KBB was used up. Knocked all the ash off what remained and reloaded with unlit.  After 30 minutes heat was back up again.  Had to fiddle with the vents more often after that to maintain the correct temp.
2) Final temp was 192.  I wanted to go at least 195 but after 10 hrs I needed to get dinner on the table and get kids off to evening activities.  Results seemed fine.

Overall, totally satisfied.  Couldn't buy anything at the store or butcher that was as good as this was fresh.  My brother's is still better than mine, but I really think that has to do with the rub.  Tenderness and moisture were great.  Pork flavor was great.  Bark just not my favorite.

What a bargain, $13 for the butt at Sam's.  $10 for the six pack of beer.  A day of nothing pressing to do but watch the grill, surf the net and relax.  A family who said they would eat this anytime - priceless :-)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 06:51:38 PM »
Not a bad first run. Smoke ring looks good. Next time, try wrapping at the stall. Will save you a few hours.
Still need a 22” yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 06:52:25 PM »
I like the sound (and look!) of all that. Well done sir.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeLucky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 08:19:47 PM »
Well done sir. Looks great.

I use my performer for my smoking and it does take much more tending and adjusting, but that's the fun of it for me.  A day with my redhead kettle making a meal for my family is about as good as it gets in my book.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 08:24:43 PM »

I use my performer for my smoking and it does take much more tending and adjusting, but that's the fun of it for me.  A day with my redhead kettle making a meal for my family is about as good as it gets in my book.

Watching smoke flow out of a Weber, sipping a scotch, smoking a stogie, petting the dog, looking over a freshly mowed lawn... Nothing better. @SmokenJoe
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:26:58 PM by TheDude »
Still need a 22” yellow

MikeLucky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 08:31:13 PM »

Watching smoke flow out of a Weber, sipping a scotch, smoking a stogie, petting the dog, looking over a freshly mowed lawn... Nothing better. @SmokenJoe
This weekend I had both grills going, wife in a bikini, beer in my hand.... this is how I know I'm winning at life.