Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sauce  (Read 39015 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Sauce
« on: February 27, 2016, 08:47:26 AM »
What is everyone using for pizza sauce?  I started off using canned sauce by Ragu, but have moved on to what most of the wood fired pizza restaurants around here use.  I get San Marzano tomatoes usually from Walmart since my Safeway doesn't have them.  I put a colander in a bowl, pour the can into the colander then work the tomatoes to break them up into small peices.  It makes really good pizza sauce.  I had a friend who is the executive chef at an Italian restaurant here in Pheonix show me this.  I was sure he was going to have me add salt, pepper, or garlic to it, but that wasn't the case, just the San Marzano from the can, crished up, then onto the dough.  Since I've been doing my sauce this way I've noticed it tastes the same as all of the good pizza places around here, so I'm pretty sure this is the same thing most of them are using.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Re: Sauce
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 09:03:38 AM »
I have always used canned crushed tomatoes. I usually add a teaspoon of crushed garlic to it and then spread it all around.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 09:06:30 AM »
I have always used canned crushed tomatoes. I usually add a teaspoon of crushed garlic to it and then spread it all around.

Try the San Marzano's.  I think they are grape tomatoes and usually have a little bit of basil in each can.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 09:49:16 AM »
I use a medium size can of sauce.  Find a decent brand.  Get two or three cloves of garlic and crush them in a garlic press.  Put some evo in a deep dish skillet an saute garlic on med heat untill garlic just turns a little bit golden.  Be careful not to over cook or you can burn the garlic or it will have a bitter taste.  The moment you garlic turns add the can of sauce.  Stir and add a generous amount of italian seasoning.  Next add some tomato paste till you get your desired thickness.  Taste and adjust.  It's simple and good. Sometimes I will fry Italian sausage first and make the sauce with some of the drippings.  Great stuff!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 10:04:44 AM »
Lately I have been using strained San Marzano tomatoes with nothing added. In the past store bought pizza sauce was used around here but I like fresh taste of the nice Italian tomatoes better. I have a recipe for a meat sauce that includes 4 or 5 different cuts of pork, beef and lamb and takes a few hours to make but that stuff is killer on pies.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 07:14:58 AM »
We like a flavorful sauce at my house, and I've learned to make it by feel each week.  I use a jar of pre-made Marinara sauce (something organic, but not too fancy) and then I add a small can of tomato paste (to thicken it) as well as a generous dose of fresh ground fennel seed, basil, and oregano.  I let that simmer/reduce while I'm prepping everything else, usually for about an hour.  Reduce it till it's a nice thick sauce that will be a little bit difficult to spread (but which won't make your crust soggy).  If I remember, I add a little red wine at the beginning, and a little red wine vinegar at the very end. 
One of the charcoal people.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 08:49:35 AM »
Trader Joes from the small jar.  Surprisingly good and does a good job of not distracting from the flavor of the pizza (I personally don't like a sauce that is too strong on its own for pizza).  I might have to try the just San Marzano crushed though.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »
My favorite tomato sauce when good tomatos are available is...tomatos. Put slices right on the grill until softened, then add them to the pizza along with mozzarella, basil, salt and pepper.

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 12:36:37 PM »
When I don't but premade sauce from the store, I crush San marzanos and simmer with tomato paste, basil and oregano.

I also usually make some garlic oil too.  This is just minced garlic added to some olive oil the day before I make pizza, then I drizzle it over the pizza when it comes out of the oven.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 01:48:47 PM »

What is everyone using for pizza sauce?  I started off using canned sauce by Ragu, but have moved on to what most of the wood fired pizza restaurants around here use.  I get San Marzano tomatoes usually from Walmart since my Safeway doesn't have them.  I put a colander in a bowl, pour the can into the colander then work the tomatoes to break them up into small peices.  It makes really good pizza sauce.  I had a friend who is the executive chef at an Italian restaurant here in Pheonix show me this.  I was sure he was going to have me add salt, pepper, or garlic to it, but that wasn't the case, just the San Marzano from the can, crished up, then onto the dough.  Since I've been doing my sauce this way I've noticed it tastes the same as all of the good pizza places around here, so I'm pretty sure this is the same thing most of them are using.

I've been using Classico pizza sauce but will definitely give the San Marzano tomatoes a try. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Sauce
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 04:57:30 PM »

Try the San Marzano's.  I think they are grape tomatoes and usually have a little bit of basil in each can.

Mike, like these tomatoes?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 05:02:19 PM »

Mike, like these tomatoes?

I use the San Marzano in the yellow can, but what you have looks the same description wise and maybe fancier.  Let me know how it works out for you.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 05:05:57 PM »
Anything in the yellow can (Cento brand)  is very good...  Pricey but good.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Swamp Yankee

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 06:47:34 AM »
Plus one on Cento - whole peeled San Marzanos.

I'd put them through a food mill to make a puree, then I'd strain the puree to get rid of excess water, rather than cook it down. I made a tutorial some years back, and still have pictures of the process:

I put them through a food mill to strain out the skins and seeds..

I leave them to sit in a fine mesh sieve over a saucepan for 20 minutes or so till the puree can form peaks like this

This picture shows how much water comes out - excess water on the left, puree on the right.  I'd use the water for soups (sometimes).

I cook Neapolitan style pizzas over very high heat (750°F - 900°F) which will bake a pizza in less than 3 minutes, so I need to get excess moisture out so the top will cook. For the same reason, I have to monitor how much I use in the way of toppings. That strained puree is enough for 4, 12" pies.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:50:54 AM by Swamp Yankee »

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 01:18:08 PM »
@Swamp Yankee I like your style....a lot.

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"