Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Yellow RRR progress  (Read 2949 times)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Yellow RRR progress
« on: August 16, 2015, 09:48:34 PM »
Didn't make as much progress as I would've like, but I did start some clean up tonight. I've included some not-so-great-quality nighttime phone pics.

Will definitely need to use the nut/bolt/washer repair on one of the leg sockets. This front socket is hanging on by one tack weld. I'll probably make a pre-emptive repair on a 2nd socket, as it is a little more rusty and flexible than I would like.

Two of the bowl vents will need some work. Thinking about just replacing them, rather than trying to re-shape them while they're attached to the bowl. I'd prefer not to use a screw to hold the vents on, though. Who has riveted vents back on? What size rivet is needed?

It came with this homemade (?) charcoal grate. I need to snip the ends off of the straight bars so it fits properly… I'll definitely be sanding some rust off of this and putting it to good use.

A couple of the grate straps are very rusty, but not to  the point where they're breaking. Bonus overspray shot!

It has some minor crazing on the bowl, and the usual battle scars where the grill straps are welded on. The lid has a few dings, some rim rash, and is slightly out of round.  @SixZeroFour , didn't you find a pretty decent matching yellow paint? What brand was that?

This will also need a new handle from @zavod44 . Any recommendation for wood to use? Something lighter? Darker? I've got some osage orange wood that might look pretty good w/ the yellow.

I don't have a good picture to share that does this grill justice. It has that oh-so-sweet orange lemon peel look to it. Can't wait to get cooking on this beauty!  I'll post more pics as the restore progresses.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:13:01 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Yellow RRR progress
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 01:22:51 AM »
Good job so far there Bob. As per the handle....I gotta go with @MacEggs on this one....."I just like saying Mahogany":

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 07:54:47 AM »
Hey Bob - here is the paint I used... It's not perfect but pretty darn close.

Code on the can is CDE1642 - Daytona Yellow

Good luck!

Matt
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »

Hey Bob - here is the paint I used... It's not perfect but pretty darn close.

Code on the can is CDE1642 - Daytona Yellow

Good luck!

Matt

That's what I used too. It's the closest match I can find. When cool, the touch up spots blend right in. When the kettle heats up then the spots stand out but they hold up well to the heat.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »
Oh and any yellow, lime or avocado kettle looks the best with walnut or mahogany. Nice rich dark look that also looks original 70s style.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Yellow RRR progress
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 11:47:21 AM »
I have a tiny stick and a little MIG if you wanted to hot glue anything.  I suck at welding, but have two junky welders that are fun to mess with if you wanted to try.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 01:02:14 PM »
@blksabbath , I don't think at this point I want to experiment on the yellow, but I will probably take you up on that in the future.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 07:51:55 AM »
With welding, a lot of porcelain would have to be removed around the repair area. I would recommend drilling and riveting the leg socket back into place. It will hold nice and firm and you won't have to lose any porcelain. I haven't riveted on any bowl vents yet but I'm sure with my rivet gun it's easy. Incidentally the Stanley rivet gun is the one to go with. I bought the Ace one to fix a couple sockets and it blew up...

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 08:57:22 AM »
I'm also curious about riveting the vents.  Would love more info if anyone has done it.  @Craig can you tell me which gun you use (I think Stanley has many models).

Not intending to hijack the thread...