Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: .: 2015 WKC Summer eCook :: DAY FIVE :: July 5th, 2015 :.  (Read 8777 times)

SixZeroFour

8) 8) 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
Re: .: 2015 WKC Summer eCook :: DAY FIVE :: July 5th, 2015 :.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 06:26:24 AM »
By now I'd expect a few members are having smoke flavored babies ;)
WTB: Genesis Jr.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 08:18:26 AM »
We'll be doing beef back ribs today. We're having the "neighbors edition" tonight. We have a ton of leftover food as sides. [emoji23]

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 10:34:53 AM »
My other little man decided he would be cooking brunch this morning. His weapon of choice is a Euro Black OT Premium rocking Stubbs 100% all imitation competition briquettes.

On the Menu:
  • Maple Glazed Salmon
  • Salt N Pepper T-Bone Steak
  • Roasted Garlic Halves
  • Sweet Chili Jumbo Prawns
  • Fire Grilled Red Pepper

We had reservations in the second seating at 11:30am but the chef pulled some strings and we were seated immediately. All-in-all a fantastic brunch!

Here he is getting the charcoal started:

Once the food is on the grill replace the lid carefully. And remember, "Lookin's not cookin'"

We can all sympathise with this one... food ran a bit long but it was well worth the wait.

... finally... THE PAYOFF!

Serving up a plate for you...

;) ;) ;D ;D See you back on the grill this evening... maybe even shortly for more corn  ;D ;D ;) ;)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:36:52 AM by SixZeroFour »

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
Day 5

The aftermath
I think things calmed down around 3:00 am so we're off to a late start today , thankfully my breakfast items are already cooked and just need put together

I fired up the MT that I got from 604 , it's became the go to workhorse as of late. Yesterday I had brined and hot smoked a sockeye salmon for my wife's favorite dish Salmon Hash .
Leftover roasted corn and spuds along with some onion start things off , a quick brown before I add the salmon , since everything is already cooked it's a fast brunch .

Finished with a couple poached eggs , it's a fabulous meal .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
Here's a couple shots of the pulled pork from Friday that didn't make it up.

The drip beans ended up with a couple pounds of pulled pork in them, and they were spicy but everyone loved them. Simple recovery dinner coming later tonight.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 11:26:36 AM »
Had the family over for lunch today before we shoved kid #1 off to camp for a week.
The menu was stuffed pork loin and baked beans on the grill along with the usual sides (deviled eggs, potatoe salad, etc).  Then I gave apple bombs a shot for dessert

The tools for this afternoon

The 26er, the OTP, and the Gen2 performer

The pork loin

Prepping the bacon for the beans

Loin onto the 26er

Beans ready to go on the OTP and Performer

Loin coming off the grill

Beans coming off

Apple bombs going on

Everything turned out well. I overcooked the pork a little, but it was very tasty. For the Apple bombs. They were great, but I need to skin the apples next time. No one went away hungry. Happy 4th.....er 5th
-Keith

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 11:38:58 AM »
Those are some great results @OoPEZoO ! Beans to Bombs that looks delicious!

For the apple bombs, what type of Apple did you use? I've tried a few varieties and my favorite so far are Ambrosia Apples. If you leave them on for at least an hour the skins will really soften up and you can eat with just a fork.

Again - great job!

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 11:45:49 AM »
I used Granny Smith apples. That's what I like to use for baking pies, so I thought I'd give them a shot.  I think the skin was just too thick to cut through this time of year.  I cooked them for a little over an hour, and topped them with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. We were all laughing about it and had this big pile of apple skins sitting on a plate in the middle of the table. No one cared, and I will definitely cook them again.
-Keith

SixZeroFour

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 11:48:02 AM »
Try with either Gala or Ambrosia and you'll be hooked 8)

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 01:43:55 PM »
Here's lunch for today. It's been smoking hot the past week so I was only hungry for a snack. That being the case I figured why not experiment a bit? ... plus there's always glorious corn as a backup failsafe ;D

I've really been enjoying grilling different fruits lately and we just happened to pick up a big basket of fresh picked Okanagan Cherries - I figured why not?!?! Alongside that I also found inspiration from Mr Meat Ninja and grilled up some frozen Pad Thai Spring Rolls and Sweet Chili Sauce.

Note the cherries change color over the next two shots:

The cherries were quite nice and I think they would taste really good with red meat such as Steak so I may grill up a few more along with dinner tonight 8)

Everything hit the spot!

... See ya tonight!

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 01:55:12 PM »
@idahawk salmon hash! Genius! This may become my wife's new favorite! Thanks for the idea - now let's see if I can execute...

@OoPEZoO do you find that the roasting rack helps your cooks? I haven't bought one yet but I've been thinking about it. As it is now I do all of my roasts and loins directly on the grill grate.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Keep it simple stupid

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 02:11:24 PM »
Today was pulled pork and coleslaw.  1st time attempt and a BIG hit with the missus.  Photos are zero hours, 3 hours, 6 hours, pulled, and plated.  Apart from adding to the snake after I wrapped it in foil at the 165 degree mark, the whole thing went without a hitch:

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 03:37:36 PM »
Dirty Steak with Hot Fanny Sauce - a MartyG re-creation

From Cooking with Julia Child featuring Johanne Killeen and George Germon, this is something I wanted to recreate once I saw that beautiful black SS Performer in Julia's back yard.

Easy enough, I have the grill after all…

Wait…what's that sitting on the chair?

Ahhh, time to get dirty! First the Fanny Sauce…onions, jalapeņos, sugar, chicken broth, sherry, salt, red wine vinegar, blender…

Now on to the grill - Humphrey's lump is the chosen heat source:

And while the lump gets white hot, I need to roast a half pepper to finish the Fanny Sauce. Performer #2 to the rescue. Small chimney above the gas assist with a small basket.

Worked like a charm:

OK, let's get serious. Steaks are salted, lump is screaming, time to take the plunge:

Custom-cut 1 1/2" boneless ribeyes were made to do this:

Four minutes - time to flip.

Four more minutes, we're done:

Resting while I bring the sauce up to temp - do not let it sit in it's own juices!

The payoff!

Quite possibly the best steak I've ever had. I may never make steak any other way.
Full episode here for those looking for the recipe and banter with Julia. Watch her nearly burn her hand over the lump!

http://www.thirteen.org/programs/julia-child-cooking-with-master-chefs/dirty-steak-with-hot-fanny-sauce-with-killeen-and-germon/

I had fun putting this one together, and unlike last year I'll be doing this one often. You gotta try it!

Marty
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 03:43:42 PM by MartyG »

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 03:55:35 PM »
@OoPEZoO do you find that the roasting rack helps your cooks? I haven't bought one yet but I've been thinking about it. As it is now I do all of my roasts and loins directly on the grill grate.

I like it a lot. I picked it up at Target a few years ago during their end of season clearance for next to nothing. I would not have payed full retail for it, but I love it for large roasts, hams, and turkeys. When sitting on the grate, there is just enough clearance under it to slide a 9x13 catch pan under whatever you are cooking. I just wish it was easy to clean
-Keith