Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: .: 2015 WKC Summer eCook :: DAY FIVE :: July 5th, 2015 :.  (Read 8781 times)

robjones1184

• Smokey Joe
Re: .: 2015 WKC Summer eCook :: DAY FIVE :: July 5th, 2015 :.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 04:35:05 PM »
So here is my final cook of the weekend: two grilled rabbits and kielbasas. I fired up the 22" and got my new gourmet grate ready. I decided this would be a good cook to try out the Vortex that I just bought also. I rubbed the rabbits with Weber Kickin' Chicken seasoning and then cooked them indirect. In the end, I decided to make a couple of pulled rabbit sliders with thick cut bacon and smoked swill cheese.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 04:48:04 PM »
No cooks for me today, looks good, one more left I have prime sirloin steaks dry aging right now.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 04:54:04 PM »
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get close to my grill this weekend until this evening. All I have to show is a buttered, alder smoked salt and pepper crusted spatchcocked chicken. It turned out pretty good.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 05:07:12 PM »
Another pizza night for me. Trying to get a higher heat this go around. @LightningBoldtz 's upper rack from his kamado is featured again:

Loaded up with some wood chunks for a little more heat and another pie:

Not as good as with a Kettle Pizza attachment but not bad either.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:10:37 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 05:55:39 PM »
Just keeping it simple after putting on 1,000 miles this weekend eating other peoples food.

Boneless pork chops and crash hots on the grill.

On my plate with my wife's veggie mac salad.

EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 06:26:32 PM »
Well, I've downgraded to the 18, 4 solo purposes, I had sweet Italian sausage (her fav) might as well get rid of, right...

I big diced some Jala-Peppers & onions after pre cooking sausages..

SH!T was good, took it off & put on pastrami aspers...

S
& post seasoned & cleaned w/ coconut oil...

Best cook of the wknd!
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 07:13:48 PM »
Tonight's dinner was a bit less work. Fresh corn-on-the-cobb, leftover mac salad and a few Johnsonville brats...

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 07:26:34 PM »
Tried for a lighter meal of grilled catfish, grilled tomatoes and grilled okra and broccoli.  I tagged the jumbo joe for the grilling duties.

Prep work

On the grill

On the plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2015, 09:26:29 PM »
I am loving everybody's cook-ups, I must say.  Well done, everyone!!

Today (Sunday) was the last day of my week off.  Had an awesome week, so far ….

It started out with a brisket overnight cook.
Then had a get together @MrHoss ' place along with @AcrossFromHoss and we cooked up a mess of food.
I then did another overnight … this time a pork butt.

Today had a theme …  But I didn't plan it … It just happened that way …. Strawberry / Red …  :D :D

First off, I did up some turds.  It happens to be strawberry season here in Ontario.  It's usually a 2-3 week window, and they are so good.
I decided to mash-up some over-ripe berries.  I strained them, then added some maple syrup, then lightly strained that mash.  I saved the juice.

A little piece of Balderson double-smoked cheese … for some tang, so to speak.  ;)

I used my 20 year old OTG for today's festivities …

Turds came off after 1½ hours.

That was an amazing snack!  We then needed to think about supper.  Some fresh Sockeye salmon was it.

Remember this stuff? … Well, I added some Tiger sauce to it.

The salmon fillet got some fresh cracked pepper and some Kosher salt.  On to the grill for some kettle love.

I wanted to try to keep the temperature low, so it could absorb some smoke. 
After 40 minutes, I decided to drizzle the fillet with the sauce.  I removed it after one hour, then served.

This was incredible … Ya, it really was.  My wife said it was perfect.  Okay, thanks!

One other theme here:  The wood for the turds was some cherry wood supplied to me from MrHoss …
As well as the Tiger sauce …. and the wine stave that I use for the salmon cook.  Thanks, Hoss!  You done good, my friend.  :D :D

To cap off the evening, we decided to have a fire …. So, I got the kettle fire pit going.
Unfortunately, the skeeters started dive-bombing us after sundown … We toughed it out as long as we could, then went inside.  :-\ :-\

All-in-all, a fantastic week!  Thanks for looking.  :) :)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Smokin@5588FEET

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 09:36:55 PM »
This is my first post, and the first time I smoked a tri tip like a brisket... We all thought it turned out great! Had a heck of a time keeping the temp at 250 (so any advice is welcomed  :o).

I also fried up some Chicken Sausage and veggies for the mom-in-law who doesn't eat red meat. Just cooked them in a cast iron pan over the high heat side.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 09:44:48 PM »
Brisket on the Ranch!

Waiting on it to probe like butter!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 01:00:59 AM by 1911Ron »
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

SixZeroFour

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 09:48:05 PM »
Unbelievable cooks you guys, the hits just keep coming!

Hoss rocking the pizza, Hofy's magazing quality plated pic, MM with pastrami gus, Jason with some sexy looking corn (I have a corn problem), tb with another great looking plate-up and photo, MacEggs going all out with a very impressive cook, Ron with a brisket cook on his sweet new ranch, and last but not least new member @Smokin@5588FEET turning out a stellar looking tri-tip on his first attempt... Need we say more??  :o ;D :o

Excellent cooks all around!

8)

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 09:51:20 PM »

Oooppps....wrong thread....... 8)

Oh well...... this all happened today & some of them will be cooking so let's just leave it........

.....and thirty, the answer is thirty......

This is an excerpt from my intro post:

Not your family, YOUR GRILL FAMILY!   ;)

Brian

I know....The yard's small....
Maybe I could fill up the yard & get on the roof for the pix ???
There's 22 of 'em... some broke down & some still in the box new...."

So that's what I did.....pulled them all out from everywhere & got on the roof...... 8)

Then I fixed the handle on the Sequoia & cooked something.....

But first I noticed the wood slat that holds the ash pan ring isn't aligned with the bottom vents so I fixed that as burning the kettle to the ground is not an option...

Went rummaging around for a charcoal grate as the one that came with it may or may not be galvanized...

Every kettle I opened had some batch of accessories inside that I didn't want to move & after 5 tries, got a grate....also used the Original cooking grate in @Craig 's honor......

Round One....tri-tip & taters.....

It cooks (you can tell because Bruno is sniffing around)....

But wait.....there's more !!!

Two kettle dance setup for the Wok......

Bruno on cleanup while waiting for dinner...

Lump........

Peanut & fry oil....

"Honey.....where did I put my meat hook?"

Yep.......Deep fried Tri-tip.......

Hard to see, but on the Black 18.5" on the right..... up by the tree, there's a blemish on the bowl.....it's a hummingbird sitting on the clotheswire listening to the sound of the deep fry.....it was loud ........

Here's she is again against the gray wall of the neighbor's garage, in the center.....

Back to the tri-tip.......

Weirdest Thermapen readings ever....90 in one spot, 224 in another, 145 in a 3rd....

Deep fried tri-tip might be my new favorite thing on the Kettle........

Here's the grilled one.....

Tremendous cookups by everyone on all the days.....got a chance to look thru in about 3 or 4 different sittings & wow.....what a great bunch of cooks.....everything from the most simple stuff to the really complex was bang up well executed !!!!

PS: @Smokin@5588FEET .....just less coals will work......the chain or "snake" method can get you running at a good low heat for a long time.....
Start a question thread with a little info about what you did & what happened in the "Grilling & BBQ Forum" section & we'll get some good answers & descriptions going for you...OK?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 10:05:27 PM »
It probed like butter!

It's resting now shhh! [emoji42]
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

SixZeroFour

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 10:18:59 PM »
Day 5 Dinner!

Tenderloin Steaks w/Garlic Mushroom Topping Sauce
Beef Broth Roasted New Potatoes
Corn (Do I even need to type this anymore?) ;)

On deck is a new addition to the fam - the 2009 Black 26r...

I really love the additional space the 26r offers... its more or less the perfect grill size IMO and my beloved Performers may actually be in trouble! :o

Potatoes swimming in Beef Broth cruising along in the basement - Up top is a small CI shroom' dish, loaded up with butter and fresh garlic.

Once the mushrooms started browning up I drained out the excess liquid from the pan and took them off the direct heat.

Next up I stirred in a whole can of Campbell's Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup

Added some fresh ground pepper and some of this lovely stuff courtesy of @LightningBoldtz.

Steaks are added to the mix - soup sauce is starting to take on some real nice color.

Roastie pans from down in the basement.

Once the mushroom sauce thickens up and turns a nice golden cream color, remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Next set aside to use as your steak topper.

Now that's what I'm talking about!! Pre-sauce 8)

Plated and finally ready to go! I'm starving at this point!

This was incredible and a new keeper recipe. Highly recommend you give it a shot - Super east too!

An interesting side note...

I made some corn for lunch but we didn't end up eating a couple pieces. Instead I let it cool still in the husk and then just reheated it on the kettle later come dinner time. Now here's the strange bit - it was notably sweeter and super flavourful the second time around. I suppose I could have gotten a bit of a dud cob but I think there's more to it ;) Will experiment more tomorrow 8)

@1buckie Awesome photos Ken, and the deep fried tri-tip looks super moist and tender. Very nice!

@1911Ron The voices in my head have just unanimously voted that your brisket looks bloody delicious!!  ;D
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E