Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another AmazingRibs Promotion Slow and sear  (Read 26066 times)

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Re: Another AmazingRibs Promotion Slow and sear
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
@ABCbarbecue    Never had bad results w/ my Smokenator for L&S  ...  never had bad results w/ the 'fuse' for L&S.  Have yet to push into the realm of either on an earlier kettle (F-Code is the oldest that I've used) so can't speak to enamel damage, never saw any.  The Smokenator requires tending (but it's BBQ afterall), the 'fuse' almost none under 8-9 hrs.  I'd volunteer to give this unit a good roadtest if  ABCbarbecue  would send one this way !!!   PM me !!!       SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 04:19:35 PM »
okay metal mike,

If you read what I wrote I was not critical of your invention. In fact I think it is clever especially the water partition. Having done Weber Kettle cooking for so long I figured out on my own a long time ago how to do the slow burn and the sear using the charcoal rails to make a chamber at a time when there was no internet, Smokenator, or device like yours. I am impressed that someone figured out how to advance the technique that I have used for so long.  For many it will be well worth the $79.  My only point is that you can replicate this with foil and the rails, and yes the foil is disposable.  There is no burning of the foil at slow cooking temperatures and it makes for an excellent heat shield.  For high heat searing you would not use foil, you would only use the rails as this is all you need. However, I am sure the slow n sear will be a big seller especially if endorsed by Meathead who knows his stuff. Might even but one myself.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:40:30 AM by BBQ Jack »

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 04:41:36 PM »
@SmokenJoe I agree the techniques you have mentioned all work great and are low cost methods to cook low and slow in a kettle.  The fuse may work many hours without tending, but you'll spend much more time setting a fuse up than you will filling up the Slow 'N Sear, and you can't sear a steak with it.  The charcoal rails work too but for reasons already mentioned are more of a makeshift improvisation than an all in one solution (e.g. foil, additional waterpan).  The Smokenator can make some great barbecue as well if you want to spend $72 and don't mind tending your kettle every hour to 90 minutes.  You can't sear a steak with it.  For a few dollars more the Slow 'N Sear gives you a two-zone smoking and searing machine that is lower maintenance, dead simple to refuel, and the same model works great in the 22" and 26" kettles.  Our customers say it better than I do.  Check out our reviews page.  We have reviews from some very experienced pitmasters who've been there and done that with kettles, gassers, pellet grills, offset smokers, etc...  http://www.abcbarbecue.com/#!reviews/c31v

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 06:12:30 PM »
@ABCbarbecue   So I take it that you've done enough research, post development, to not require my expert analysis  ...  I understand.  Seems to me, though, that for the cost of one of your prototype units and $6.95 you could tie up the one remaining loose end :) :) :)      SJ

PS   I sear all of my steaks on a chimney starter nearly full of hot coals using the 15-Mississippi count per side, then flip.  When mahogany in color, I eat.

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
@SmokenJoe I have no doubts whatsoever you're in the major leagues when it comes to cooking on a kettle.  Send us your thoughts on what our remaining loose end is here.  We'd love to hear it ;)  http://www.abcbarbecue.com/#!contact-us/c20q

And to anyone interested check out this update on our production status:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adrenaline-Barbecue-Company/781691198533908

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 07:35:13 PM »
@ABCbarbecue   Thanks for the developer insight into your new BBQ accessory.  We see, and at times review, most if not all of these items.  Since this group is not particularly affiliated with any other association or vendor, as our membership purchase and use any given item, we freely discuss the items benefits within these forums.  I'm certain that many members are already in the process of procuring your device and will, undoubtedly, give the rest of us trustworthy feedback.  Your willingness to personally contact the forum with meaningful info speaks well for the ABC culture.  Welcome to the WKC from Eugene, OR.       SJ

eMAIL to follow.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 08:04:24 PM »
Thanks @SmokenJoe.  The warm welcome is much appreciated, truly.  We want folks to know we want them to be better cooks, not just buy our products.  That means having a web presence, which we have, and frankly, I enjoy it, so we're gonna keep it up!  We enabled Disqus on our site so folks can ask questions on the fly, when they need answers, and get responses either from us or from one our other SnS owners.  Anyway thanks again for the welcome and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.  Feel free to share here too.  I'm not scared of scrutiny=)

I haven't published this video on the website as it's a bit of an advance technique but I'll share here because I think you guys will appreciate it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXJZsrxbYIM

This one is on the site but really shows off how well the radiant barrier (water reservoir) works even when it's dry:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SNpzcP76mE

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 08:10:57 PM »
Like the concept and videos. Looks like a neat product. Somebody get one and tell me I should also [emoji1]

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 05:38:03 AM »
@BBQ Jack , NP thanks for the credit (I am not affiliated)
I was only advising some ill effects of using foil

I like the improvised wall otherwise, tho even thin steel will hold up better

The rails would do well on this too:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/163246/smokenator-diy

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/smokenator-is-it-really-worth-buying/msg145085/#msg145085
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 07:18:29 AM »

The rails are versatile, but the SnS looks like a solid advancement in Kettle technology.  I guess you pay a little more for quality.

Bugman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 09:34:05 AM »
Not going for or against the SNS at all, but just wanted to add a point.  I understand the hesitation to spend $80 when a new kettle can be purchased on clearance for $50, or a used one for less. 

I buy USA made when I can, and I dont doubt the level of quality or craftsmanship that goes into a device like this.  But its hard to justify spending that kind of money on an accessory that costs more than the grill. 

Now if it would save me from buying a smoker or another grill, there could be savings.  But I think most members here can't factor that in ;)

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 09:56:04 AM »
Over the past, many BBQ enthusiasts have designed/developed various unsundry devices to assist with or improve the BBQ experience "for there own benefit/amusement".  Often these ideas/concepts are shared on the forum  ...  it's a part of what the WKC is, IMHO.

Sometimes, one of these objects is taken to the next level.  For example; Smokenator, Vortex, SlowNsear, etc.   It's all good.

Rescuing and Restoring a kettle to it's former beauty is the WKC motto (maybe more, like Credo).  A side benefit is that said kettle might be obtained at a reduced price.  That's all good, too.

BBQ fellas come from many points of view on their BBQ obsession.  What works is that "WE ALL share the passion that is BBQ".     Just my opinion.   ;D      SJ

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2015, 10:05:49 AM »
Personally I'll throw $ at any of my hobbies if it makes it more fun. This hobby can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. The up front cost of a weber and accessories is small compared to the consumables of meat and charcoal over time. BBQ on in what ever way works for you!

Welcome to WKC, David. You seem like a good guy with a passion for bbq and on top of that you've designed a high-quality, made the the usa product. For that I wish you the best of luck! Please stick around and share some cooks with us.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2015, 10:56:40 AM »
Personally I'll throw $ at any of my hobbies if it makes it more fun...
...Welcome to WKC, David. You seem like a good guy with a passion for bbq...
...For that I wish you the best of luck! Please stick around and share some cooks with us....

well said, yes David will be a grate member (good info on AR) & posting success pics cooked on Slow'n S, no doubt

As for me, I'm picking up a real vortex first, but purchase authentic Slow'n S soon, after I play with the concept
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2015, 01:28:53 PM »
Personally I'll throw $ at any of my hobbies if it makes it more fun. This hobby can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. The up front cost of a weber and accessories is small compared to the consumables of meat and charcoal over time. BBQ on in what ever way works for you!

Welcome to WKC, David. You seem like a good guy with a passion for bbq and on top of that you've designed a high-quality, made the the usa product. For that I wish you the best of luck! Please stick around and share some cooks with us.

pgb that was well said and +1 to folks spending as much or as little time and money as they want as long as they're happy.  Thanks for the welcome.  I've definitely got a passion for BBQ and hope to share a few things as I can.  And soak up the Kettle knowledge as well.