Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another AmazingRibs Promotion Slow and sear  (Read 26009 times)

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Another AmazingRibs Promotion Slow and sear
« Reply #225 on: April 03, 2016, 11:36:54 AM »
The butt went on at 850a this morning and just had temps start to drop near 200 degrees so (at 325p) I had to add more fuel. Not bad at  6+ hours, but the meat is only at 160 so refueled half a chimney and hopefully that will take it home to being done. I like the ease of this, but with the snake I can go the whole cook usually (about 8-10 hours normally). For smaller cuts (this one is 10lbs) or going a little hotter and faster, this thing would be a no brainer. Will continue to update as the cook progresses and comment how quickly it gets temp back after refueling and how it holds temps from there.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #226 on: April 03, 2016, 02:26:04 PM »
Just pulled it. looked like it had about an hour or hour or so of charcoal left in it. Butt is resting in a cooler for an hour or so. Will post some pics and final conclusions when I pull it.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #227 on: April 03, 2016, 03:14:29 PM »
The butt went on at 850a this morning and just had temps start to drop near 200 degrees so (at 325p) I had to add more fuel. Not bad at  6+ hours, but the meat is only at 160 so refueled half a chimney and hopefully that will take it home to being done. I like the ease of this, but with the snake I can go the whole cook usually (about 8-10 hours normally). For smaller cuts (this one is 10lbs) or going a little hotter and faster, this thing would be a no brainer. Will continue to update as the cook progresses and comment how quickly it gets temp back after refueling and how it holds temps from there.

8 hours is the minimum you can expect on a full load of Kingsford Blue Bag.  10+ hours is typical and 12+ hours can happen on really good days.  I'm betting you had more fuel left than you realized.  That said, it's so easy to refuel the Slow 'N Sear that I ask folks not to worry too much about how long a load of charcoal lasts.  8)

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2016, 03:15:07 PM »
Just pulled it. looked like it had about an hour or hour or so of charcoal left in it. Butt is resting in a cooler for an hour or so. Will post some pics and final conclusions when I pull it.

WELL, where's the pics?  ;)

BluesDaddy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #229 on: April 04, 2016, 11:48:49 AM »
8 hours is the minimum you can expect on a full load of Kingsford Blue Bag.  10+ hours is typical and 12+ hours can happen on really good days.  I'm betting you had more fuel left than you realized.  That said, it's so easy to refuel the Slow 'N Sear that I ask folks not to worry too much about how long a load of charcoal lasts.  8)

Ease of refuelling is absolutely true. I use the SnS on a 26", so it takes a little more to keep that size at temp. But on my recent brisket cook I didn't add any fuel until about 6 hours in, and really could have gone longer but I was check it and decided while I had the lid open to go ahead and fill it back up. Of course, you really need a hinged lid, which if you don't have, is a must get if you're going to smoke on a kettle in any shape or form.

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #230 on: April 05, 2016, 05:26:20 AM »
Ok, my slow n sear is showing up today.  Just set out a bag of boneless chicken thighs to thaw, and have a bunch of asparagus to grill with it.   Any suggestions?  Will the thigh instructions on your website work with boneless thighs?

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #231 on: April 05, 2016, 05:02:18 PM »
Ok, my slow n sear is showing up today.  Just set out a bag of boneless chicken thighs to thaw, and have a bunch of asparagus to grill with it.   Any suggestions?  Will the thigh instructions on your website work with boneless thighs?

Yep!  Check out our techniques page and if you have any additional questions let me know.  8)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #232 on: April 06, 2016, 12:08:27 AM »
please start new threads for specific questions and topics related to the slow'n'sear.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #233 on: April 06, 2016, 05:08:31 AM »
please start new threads for specific questions and topics related to the slow'n'sear.

and if you want ABC to respond please mention me (@ABCbarbecue).  Thanks!

Bobzurunkle

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #234 on: April 06, 2016, 06:45:34 AM »
I really like the sound of this product but with a shipping cost to Toronto of $51, I think I'll have to live without it.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #235 on: April 06, 2016, 12:54:57 PM »
Looks like I was asleep at the wheel while the price bumped ...
No worry, I'll hold out for the 26" version (soon?)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE