Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another AmazingRibs Promotion Slow and sear  (Read 26895 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Another AmazingRibs Promotion Slow and sear
« on: July 01, 2015, 07:45:28 AM »
MeatHead has been a big fan of the smokenator and grill grates, I own both but quite honestly I hardly ever used the smokenator.  I know opinions differ on both products, I do like grill grates a lot, esc for more delicate items.

I did see this on his web site Slow and Sear
http://www.abcbarbecue.com/#!products/cab8

He recommends it over his highly recommended smokenator.  I know that many with older kettles the concerns of the smokenator and banking coals causing damage to the porcelain, this looks like it avoids that.

They have two versions and I can't figure out the difference.  $79 for the standard addition, looks nice and thick but expensive considering the alternatives.

Thoughts

EDIT:
We've launched a Full Slow'n Sear Review
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 06:55:31 AM by Troy »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Another AmazingRibs Promotion Slow and sear
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 07:50:52 AM »
Now the disclaimer. The Slow 'n Sear was invented by David "Pit Boss" Parrish, a moderator on AmazingRibs.com, and manager of the Pitmaster Club. Clearly I picked the right guy!
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 11:08:26 AM »
I like it and can see myself using it, but at $79 I'll hold off. 

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 11:49:48 AM »
No doubt he gets a better cut of the sales, being designed by his "moderators."

Good idea tho, I'll try it...
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/another-fab-project/
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 02:22:24 PM »
The water would be a PITA to top up mid cook, and being that close to the fire I'd say it would have to be topped up at least every hour. I envisage wet coals when topping it up.The other thing I don't like is the fact that there's no bottom to the basket. A bit of EM on the bottom would make it much more user friendly
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 04:19:32 AM »
The snake method with a water pan/drip pan would be easier and less involved IMHO.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »
Hey everyone, this is David Parrish, President of Adrenaline Barbecue Company.  We are the inventors/owners/makers of the Slow 'N Sear.  I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to @LightningBoldtz for mentioning our product in this forum, to thank everyone for their interest, and also to reply to a couple of questions/comments that have been posed in this thread. 

We have a lot of detailed information on our website but I'll mention that we guarantee one quart of water will last 4 hours (running pit temp of 225F to 250F) without a refill and we have consistent feedback from our existing owners that the water lasts more than 5 hours.  We've seen the same 5 hour results in our testing but I wanted to be conservative which is why we kept the guarantee at 4 hours.  I have a degree in physics and have thought about every single square millimeter of the product design.  The "V" shaped water reservoir concentrates the "charcoal to water" heat transfer rate at the bottom of the V.  This causes the water to boil only at the very bottom of the water reservoir and gives you the perfect amount of humidity for hours and hours. 

The Slow 'N Sear is also dead simple to use and the owners say it better than I do.  Here's a quote from a recovering pellet cooker owner who posted a review on our website ,"So for the second cook I did my first ever Whole Packer Brisket on my new 22.5 kettle with the Slow-n-Sear. I would have to say this is as set it and forget it as a pellet grill with way more flavor and No parts to malfunction with the design using the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid). That set up held temps rock solid using there low and slow instructions and vent settings through the entire cook and it turned out awesome. I'm a Journeyman Toolmaker and this is a quality piece made with craftsmanship that will last. To sum it up, all I can say is with a good thermometer, A Weber Kettle and a Slow-n-Sear you will have the best bang for the buck and versatility for grilling and smoking."  There are many other reviews like this on the reviews tab of our site.

The price might seem high, but the Slow 'N Sear is made of 5 pounds of 304 stainless steel.  It's costly to manufacturer due to the materials cost and because an American get's paid to hand weld each Slow 'N Sear.  The Slow 'N Sear will extend the life of your kettle by protecting the paintjob from conductive and radiant heat.  That should offset some of the cost long term for those using the snake method.

As far as our relationship with Meathead and AmazingRibs, we have the same vendor relationship as every other product he recommends.  We don't get special treatment and AR has no financial stake or interest in our company.  He recommends our product because it's better than everything else out there, not because we have a special arrangement.

If there is anything else anyone would like to know I'd love to continue this conversation.  Apologies for writing a book with my first post!

David Parrish, President
Adrenaline Barbecue Company
Excited about the ABCs of Barbecue

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »
David, 

Your product looks appealing, one of he items that I like about it is you can essential bank coals without banking coals against the side of the kettle. 

This is one of the concerns with the smokenator.  I am giving serious consideration to purchasing your product.

@ABCbarbecue this may already be known but what gauge is the steel that you are using?

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 04:53:12 PM »
@LightningBoldtz thanks for the interest.  The SnS is 16 gauge 304 stainless steel.  Since you mentioned the smokenator as an alternative product, I'll mention one of our early adopters of the SnS also owns a smokenator and donated it to me as a thank you for inventing the SnS.  You can see his review of the SnS under the name FuzzyDaddy P on our reviews page.

We have many kettle owners like him that are coming from diffferent products or methods (snake, fire bricks, etc).  Everyone has been pleased with the upgrade.  I'd love to hear your honest review as well after you're an owner!

hoss8640

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 05:14:06 PM »
I might have to give this a try on my old Kettle when I get ready to do a brisket... I was looking into the snake method but maybe this will work better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 06:13:46 PM »
@hoss8640 we have several owners that agree with me when I say "heck yes!"

hoochiemama

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 07:21:55 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm also a member at amazing ribs and was intrigued by this when it came out. So far I've been extremely happy with the snake method. But the thought of not having to rotate food (mostly applies to ribs) is also appealing.  I came very close to pulling the trigger a couple times.  Still thinking about it :).

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 08:06:48 PM »
Sounds good @hoochiemama  If it's been a while since you checked out our site you should check out the updates.  We've got a lot of photos from owners in our Disqus comments and have updated the instructions and recipes.  http://www.abcbarbecue.com/

We have also have a special on shipping at the moment.  $6.95 anywhere in the lower 48 of the US. 

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 01:31:40 AM »
I visited the ABC site and have no doubt that this a good product and that the technique will produce excellent results. For myself I learned a very long time ago that by placing 2 of the Weber charcoal rails along side each other with each rail on opposite sides of the grate bar I could create a split grill, and that by covering the rails with foil I could then create a separate chamber for the charcoal without having to bank the charcoal to the side of my EE kettle. (See the member photo at the left from a few years ago for an idea of what I mean). Even better is that you can place the rails on any of the grate bars for a custom size chamber, this is really simple to do and it will produce low and slow burning especially of you lay down foil on the opposite chamber and set the vents. The chamber with the charcoal will produce excellent searing, and if you place a Weber charcoal basket into the chamber instead it will kick up the searing a notch.  A water pan can be placed under the cooking grate or on top of the cooking grate. My point here is that you can get similar results that ABC provides without spending $79.00 if you have the charcoal rails, really.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 02:11:48 AM by BBQ Jack »

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 12:38:03 PM »
@BBQ Jack
Fold a cheap steel pan @ least (NOT non-stick...)

Foil tends to burn, notice how brittle it gets after use
& I can smell it (aluminum) if it is heated too much or touching coals...

the Slow'n Sear is heavy & SS, won't burn.
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE