Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another AmazingRibs Promotion Slow and sear  (Read 26064 times)

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
Re: Another AmazingRibs Promotion Slow and sear
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2015, 02:09:56 PM »
Now if it would save me from buying a smoker or another grill, there could be savings.  But I think most members here can't factor that in ;)

A kettle with Slow 'N Sear can cook anything so you wouldn't need another grill/smoker. But it can't stop you from wanting to buy more grills, smokers, and accessories.  Once you got that bug, you got that bug.  ;)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2015, 09:35:06 PM »
I definitely have that bug!
I am adding this to my wish list.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2015, 09:36:45 PM »
This is a unique hobby, there is something to be said for the keep it simple methods and improvising new techniques with a Weber Kettle, then on the other hand, we go out and buy Kamados and other expensive cookers and expensive accessories for our Kettles.  Backyard toys.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2015, 01:20:43 PM »
This one looks to / should last as long & adaptable/swappable too...

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk

...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2015, 01:22:42 PM »
Vortex, I noticed, had LOTS of sizes, maybe this will, or may not  even need...

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk

...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2015, 02:25:31 PM »
I still think it needs EM on the bottom of the basket
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2015, 04:55:10 PM »

I agree completely.. @Hogsy
I could shake out any leftover col.
However, what happens to the unused water? Do we need a drain plug? Lol
AJ 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2015, 07:18:58 AM »
@Hogsy we considered adding a bottom to the charcoal basket but decided against it.  The existing Weber grate does a great job holding the charcoal already so there is no need for a separate grate attached to the Slow 'N Sear for this purpose. 

"But what if we want to remove the old charcoal because it'll mess up our next cook?" you might ask.  The answer is old partially burned charcoal works great in the SnS because the walls of the charcoal basket collect and group the briquets as they get smaller.  The SnS is great at keeping a consistent burn going as the charcoal burns down to ash.  If you really want to get rid of that old charcoal though it's easy to lift the charcoal grate with the SnS and pour the charcoal out. 

The Slow 'N Sear can hit high searing heat at only a 1/3 full charcoal basket, and when you close the kettle vents the charcoal snuffs out fast, so you can use that old charcoal the next time you cook, and you may not even have to add more charcoal.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 07:32:34 AM »
Is it possible to use it, without water, upside down, to then approximate a Vortex type setup?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2015, 07:35:03 AM »

I agree completely.. @Hogsy
I could shake out any leftover col.
However, what happens to the unused water? Do we need a drain plug? Lol
AJ 8)

@Heyjude If you want to drill a hole in the bottom and add a drainplug go for it, but we've had physicists, a president of the KCBS, and countless BBQ pros look at the SnS and that feature was not determined to be necessary  ;)

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2015, 07:44:56 AM »
Is it possible to use it, without water, upside down, to then approximate a Vortex type setup?

It is possible, and you can use the Slow 'N Sear upside down to create a much larger sear zone if you like by placing charcoal between the water reservoir wall and the side of the kettle, however the Slow 'N Sear gets so hot "right side up" that I don't think you need to turn it upside down.  The below picture shows a half load of Kingsford Blue Bag charcoal taking the charcoal grate past 900F.  This is a ThermoWorks thermometer that is precise enough to measure the grate.  When this customer moved the thermometer to either side the temp went to "HI" which means the temp exceeded 1022F.  You can find the original comment at the bottom of this page.  http://www.abcbarbecue.com/

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 07:48:05 AM by ABCbarbecue »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2015, 07:53:30 AM »
" and you can use the Slow 'N Sear upside down to create a much larger sear zone if you like"

confused a bit.....would it not be a smaller zone, but perhaps more intense, if it were upside down?

I like the fact that it mimics the shape of the bell & pretty much solves the banking of coals problem.....people get concerned about that with the older colored Kettles, as they are coated black & then an extra layer of color porcelain over that.....looks nice, but seems to lead to chipping at the weld points & some other places at extra high heat.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »
 8)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:36:38 AM by Heyjude »
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2015, 11:00:18 AM »
@Hogsy we considered adding a bottom to the charcoal basket but decided against it.  The existing Weber grate does a great job holding the charcoal already so there is no need for a separate grate attached to the Slow 'N Sear for this purpose. 
The existing weber grate does an okay job of holding charcoal. EM is the BEST! Especially if you want to re use your charcoal/ briquettes. There would be none left by the time you shook all the ash off, 90% of it would simply fall through the large gaps on the grate. It would also make lighting and relighting a helluva lot easier if you were using gas assist in a performer or the rapid fire charcoal grate

"But what if we want to remove the old charcoal because it'll mess up our next cook?" you might ask.  The answer is old partially burned charcoal works great in the SnS because the walls of the charcoal basket collect and group the briquets as they get smaller.  The SnS is great at keeping a consistent burn going as the charcoal burns down to ash.  If you really want to get rid of that old charcoal though it's easy to lift the charcoal grate with the SnS and pour the charcoal out. 
"I get that people re use charcoal, it's a no brainier but how do you get rid of the old ash sitting in the SnS ? Yes you could lift the whole charcoal grate out, but wouldn't it be more practical, easier and cleaner to just lift the SnS out and give it a shake in the bin or garden then replace it in the kettle and your ashless used charcoal is ready. This could all be done with one hand and minimal mess
The Slow 'N Sear can hit high searing heat at only a 1/3 full charcoal basket, and when you close the kettle vents the charcoal snuffs out fast, so you can use that old charcoal the next time you cook, and you may not even have to add more charcoal.
To me having no bottom like EM in the SnS is a serious design flaw, just like it is with the smokenator
One piece of EM is all it would to make the device so much more user friendly.
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »
@Hogsy I've read your posts and understand where you're coming from, but you just don't need the EM.  You're used to the Smokenator.  The open nature of the SnS charcoal basket makes things easy.  The charcoal burns down very nicely with very few pieces falling through the charcoal grate.  To get rid of what little ash remains in the SnS you can slide the dead coals back and forth inside the charcoal basket with a pair of tongs to get rid of the ash.

For folks that love to mod it would be relatively easy to fit a piece of EM inside the SnS.  You could fold up and weave the edges inside and outside the perimeter of the basket to keep the EM in place.  Cheap mod if you just gotta do it.