Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another AmazingRibs Promotion Slow and sear  (Read 26899 times)

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
Re: Another AmazingRibs Promotion Slow and sear
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2015, 12:59:12 PM »
" and you can use the Slow 'N Sear upside down to create a much larger sear zone if you like"

confused a bit.....would it not be a smaller zone, but perhaps more intense, if it were upside down?

Sorry I was trying to anticipate the question "If you turn if over won't the sear zone be too small?"  You can put the charcoal inside the charcoal basket OR outside the charcoal basket...  In the latter case you'd just be using the water reservoir wall to keep charcoal "Walled off" from the rest of the grill.  That make sense?

Dr ROK

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2015, 09:53:26 PM »
I have been monitoring the "Introducing the Slow n Sear" thread on the Amazing Ribs forum and I can tell you there has been nothing but good things posted about the SnS. I have ordered mine and can't wait to give it a go. Good to see you on the forum @ABCbarbecue!
Weber Newbie also benefiting from the expertise on the AmazingRibs.com forum!

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2015, 05:33:29 AM »
I was hesitant to buy the Vortex and it turned out to be a good product. I have a SnS on order and can't wait to try it before I draw any conclusions. I don't have the time, tools, or fabrication skills to make products like this. If  Weber would make heavy duty stainless steel charcoal baskets and grates there we be little need for after market items like this. Plus I'm a sucker for things fabricated out of stainless I guess and I'm willing to pay extra for something made in the USA which is becoming a rarity.

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2015, 07:05:21 AM »
I like what I have been reading about the SnS and I have also have the SnS on order,
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2015, 07:48:32 AM »
Folks who do we get in touch with to get our product reviewed on this page?  http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/11/05/smoking-on-a-weber-kettle/

@Dr ROK @terrymo @jd thanks for your orders and you won't be disappointed  ;)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2015, 10:35:49 AM »
@Hogsy we considered adding a bottom to the charcoal basket but decided against it.  The existing Weber grate does a great job holding the charcoal already so there is no need for a separate grate attached to the Slow 'N Sear for this purpose. 
My understanding of what @Hogsy is communicating is if there was expanded metal attached to the bottom of your device, you could simply lift the entire unit and 'sift' the ash while being able to maximize even the smallest of charcoal pieces (governed by size of expanded metal). Physics aside, it would be convenient and less messy. As an engineer I realize the science may be the driving design choices but let's include practicality and common sense too.   

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2015, 01:13:39 PM »
Folks who do we get in touch with to get our product reviewed on this page?  http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/11/05/smoking-on-a-weber-kettle/

@Dr ROK @terrymo @jd thanks for your orders and you won't be disappointed  ;)
Me.  Shoot me a pm :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2015, 01:53:59 PM »
David, get in touch with @Troy and I. Thanks!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2015, 02:50:29 PM »
@pbe gummi bear and @Troy...  Message sent!

In regards to the expanded metal bottom, you just don't need it.  We can let the WKC reviewers take a look and see what they think ;)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »
@Hogsy I've read your posts and understand where you're coming from, but you just don't need the EM.  You're used to the Smokenator.  The open nature of the SnS charcoal basket makes things easy.  The charcoal burns down very nicely with very few pieces falling through the charcoal grate.  To get rid of what little ash remains in the SnS you can slide the dead coals back and forth inside the charcoal basket with a pair of tongs to get rid of the ash.

For folks that love to mod it would be relatively easy to fit a piece of EM inside the SnS.  You could fold up and weave the edges inside and outside the perimeter of the basket to keep the EM in place.  Cheap mod if you just gotta do it.

I agree.  EM, or even better, grate rods across would be a huge plus.  It would be nice to be able to pick the thing up and move around, independant of the charcoal grate.  It would also make it much easier to move to and from the Performer ignition burner.

I have the Vortex and it is frustrating that it is open on both ends.  Would be nice if it had EM on it, although it is designed to work in either orientation.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2015, 05:32:53 PM »
@Hogsy I've read your posts and understand where you're coming from, but you just don't need the EM.  You're used to the Smokenator.  The open nature of the SnS charcoal basket makes things easy.  The charcoal burns down very nicely with very few pieces falling through the charcoal grate.  To get rid of what little ash remains in the SnS you can slide the dead coals back and forth inside the charcoal basket with a pair of tongs to get rid of the ash.

For folks that love to mod it would be relatively easy to fit a piece of EM inside the SnS.  You could fold up and weave the edges inside and outside the perimeter of the basket to keep the EM in place.  Cheap mod if you just gotta do it.

I agree.  EM, or even better, grate rods across would be a huge plus.  It would be nice to be able to pick the thing up and move around, independant of the charcoal grate.  It would also make it much easier to move to and from the Performer ignition burner.

I have the Vortex and it is frustrating that it is open on both ends.  Would be nice if it had EM on it, although it is designed to work in either orientation.

On my main cooker I have EM right on the charcoal grate so I can use lump.  I am getting closer to ordering this thing.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2015, 05:28:04 AM »
I will be placing my order today @ABCbarbecue, though the $80 price tag is somewhat steep IMO, I am looking at the shield between the side wall and really like that.  I would not have an issue putting this in my mid 70's kettle or any other vintage kettle to smoke with.

I do like a lot of stuff that Craig promotes, many opinions about the smokenator and grill grates, personally I liked the way they have performed for me.  Sold my smokenator due to the concern of banking coals for hours on end didn't sell because I didn't like the performance.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2015, 05:53:02 AM »
@LightningBoldtz excellent news!  I know you're going to love it.

General question for anyone.  How do I post pics here?  I have URLs to hosted images and they aren't working when I use the image icon.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2P7dKDYT4KJeHQxQWY4dEdoQWM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2P7dKDYT4KJcXk4YWo1NU84TXM/view?usp=sharing

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2015, 06:01:34 AM »
@ABCbarbecue

Here is a thread on how to post pics

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/kettle-club-discussions/how-to-post-pictures-here-at-the-wkc/

Not sure it will work from google drive
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 06:04:38 AM by LightningBoldtz »

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2015, 06:40:14 AM »
Thanks @LightningBoldtz that post gave me a tip I could use to gets pics posted.  I was even able to use Google drive. 8)

We're running test cooks to graph time and temp with the Slow 'N Sear on a 22" kettle. This graph/cook was done two days ago. I adjusted the vents one time as the temperature approached 225F at the 20 minute mark and after that I did not touch a vent setting or open the kettle for the entire test.

At the 2 hour point the afternoon sun hit the kettle and caused temps to bump up a little. There was a brief summer shower 5 hours into the cook that caused a sharp downward trend in temp. At 7 hours 30 minutes I lit the 26" kettle right next to the test kettle, which caused the test kettle to heat up a bit. Even with these things going on the kettle with Slow 'N Sear combo maintained low and slow cooking temps for 10 hours unattended.

Test was done with one load of charcoal (single Weber Chimney) and one quart of water added to the reservoir at the beginning of the cook.

How's that for "set and forget"?