Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 22.5" WSM x SS Performer Cart Build Log  (Read 15171 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
22.5" WSM x SS Performer Cart Build Log
« on: June 13, 2015, 09:10:47 PM »
Hello, all of these cool WSM in a performer cart mods have inspired me to finally start building the Weber I've been dreaming about for years: a 22.5" WSM in a SS Performer cart. My goal for this build is to keep everything as OEM as possible to make it look like it came from the factory or better. This build will have:

Gas Assist
One touch AND WSM daisy wheels.
OTG ash Catcher
Standardish WSM height. I'm a short asian so popping the WSM midsection and lid on a normal height performer is a no-go.
SS performer cart, flip up table, and charcoal bin.
Roti-ring (CB?) and/or Stacker
Stoker wi-fi.

I hope you enjoy this build log. Special shout out to @Winz, @SixZeroFour, @TexasOnion @Jeff for their inspiring hybrid creations!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: 22.5" WSM x SS Performer Cart Build Log
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »
Can't wait to see and hear about this!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 09:14:31 PM »
Oh boy, this is going to be a good one.... 

Looking forward to the build.  Gas assist on a WSM - that is certainly a first.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 09:38:45 PM »
Day 1- Making the Frame

This Green SS Performer is my Donor Cart. It's in great shape but Green is not my color

First order of business is to strip down the cart. This only takes a few min.

Next I cut the welded support bars off the kettle side of the table. I need to spread the bolted horizontal crossbars apart in order to fit the kettle and OTG ash catcher down low. I left the welded support bar opposing the kettle because it's not getting in the way of anything

Cut using a jigsaw. Sorry for the misrotated pic. I actually didn't cut like this, I just wanted to show that a jigsaw fit here. I felt that an angle grinder was overkill and a dremel can't reach in there that well

Sparks while smoothing out the leftover welds.

Test fitting the kettle. I wanted the kettle as low as possible while still allowing for removal and installation of the ashpot. There's ~1" clearance below the ashpot to move it in and out. The performer bowl is now structural as it's the only thing that provides torsional rigidity on that side of the frame. Recall that we cut the crossbar out from that side.

It fits! crossbars are 18.5" ground-to-top. They are attached to the legs with the OEM star nuts and 1/4-20 bolt. I then drilled them to mount the kettle with the standard tabs. I also offset the kettle by roughly one inch closer to the end of the frame. This gives the midsection proper clearance to the radius-cut ss panel. The standard performer kettle hangs a little bit over this panel and I didn't want the panel banging into the midsection's porcelain when I wheel this thing around. Finally, the wheel axle hits the ashpot by about 1". I'll cut it down later and figure out another attachment method for the wheels.

The one thing that i didn't anticipate is the the midsection barely fitting through the legs. There is a mild interference of ~1/2" at the bottom flared edge. It's pops right through though. Because of this I'll probably be less inclined to take the midsection on and off too frequently and hurt my porcelain. Good thing I'll have the OT to clean out my bowl.  ;D

Other things to do to the frame:

Cut the axle to clear the ashpot.
Think about moving the propane tank and ignition switch.
Touchup.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 12:07:08 AM »
Amazing.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 02:45:46 AM »
Love it. Looking forward to the next instalment
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 05:49:38 AM »
Gummi - great progress.  I really like how low it sits in the frame.  Mounting the base to the bottom rail is genius - makes is look very OEM.

A couple of ideas:
1) regarding the axle - I ditched the axle when building Bisbee so that I could mount some custom wheels.  I simply drilled out the holes in the frame and replace the axel with bolts.

You can probably find a better "hubcap" option, but you get the idea.  Would love to see some custom wheels on your build.  I think you did this mod before with some pneumatic tires from what I remember.

2) I like that you are thinking about relocating the tank.  It is my least favorite feature of the SS performers as it is big, white, and very visible.  It is pretty easy to replicate the cuts that hold the top of the tank bracket, and relocate the bracket from the front of the cart to the back.  This won't entirely hide the tank, but it really helps.

You already have a ton of work done in a very short time.  Looking forward to the next installment.

Winz
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 05:51:36 AM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 06:00:40 AM »
Very nice build! I like it because it looks factory built.

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 06:24:20 AM »
Nice build , I'm tall so I'd go the other way . I can't score a ss performer as the closest ones been 200 mi away ( one way)  I'm going larger wheels & 3" casters for my mod on current performer as it travels over several acres. Yours looks sweet

Cheers

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 09:46:05 AM »
Gummi - great progress.  I really like how low it sits in the frame.  Mounting the base to the bottom rail is genius - makes is look very OEM.

A couple of ideas:
1) regarding the axle - I ditched the axle when building Bisbee so that I could mount some custom wheels.  I simply drilled out the holes in the frame and replace the axel with bolts.

You can probably find a better "hubcap" option, but you get the idea.  Would love to see some custom wheels on your build.  I think you did this mod before with some pneumatic tires from what I remember.

2) I like that you are thinking about relocating the tank.  It is my least favorite feature of the SS performers as it is big, white, and very visible.  It is pretty easy to replicate the cuts that hold the top of the tank bracket, and relocate the bracket from the front of the cart to the back.  This won't entirely hide the tank, but it really helps.

You already have a ton of work done in a very short time.  Looking forward to the next installment.

Winz

Thanks for the tip, Winz. (1) is exactly what I planned to do!

There's also a chance that I'll replace the GA with the new style.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 04:40:51 PM »
Looks great so far, I love the idea of keeping it lower in the cart. Craftsmanship looks top of the line too.

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
That looks awesome. I'd love to see some close up pics and measurements of the clearance between the legs and flared part at the bottom of the WSM midsection. I have a WSM and an extra SS cart and have wanted to do something similar.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 07:24:20 PM »
That looks awesome. I'd love to see some close up pics and measurements of the clearance between the legs and flared part at the bottom of the WSM midsection. I have a WSM and an extra SS cart and have wanted to do something similar.

They are coming. I spent some time outside today gathering clearances and taking pics.  8)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 10:39:51 PM »
I like it very cool!  I wonder if you could widen the other end would it alleviate the resistance at the bottom?  On the tank showing maybe you could make a panel of SS from the bottom rail up to the OEM panel?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 07:14:18 PM »
GO GUMS!!
One of the charcoal people.