Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bachelor Night - Chicken Wings with the Vortex  (Read 2189 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Bachelor Night - Chicken Wings with the Vortex
« on: April 11, 2015, 08:31:36 PM »
My girlfriend spent the day at a bridal shower. Solo mission chicken wings tonight.

Marinated for a few hours with some oil, salt, and a combination of these two hot sauces from PuckerButt (the guy who developed the Carolina Reaper, World Record Hottest Pepper).

One on left for flavor, one on the right for extra heat.

Vortex screamin' hot

Tossed with a little butter and a little more of the Voodoo Prince Death Mamba. Man, these wings were crispy like they were deep fried. And really freakin' hot!

I only wish I had picked up about twice as many 8)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Bachelor Night - Chicken Wings with the Vortex
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 08:36:20 PM »
Voodoo Prince Death Mamba, eh?

No breathing on the forum for you tonite.......wouldn't want the Internet to melt..... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Sauce

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 08:32:24 AM »
Wings look good, and hot!

Sauce
'07 WSM 18.5", '15 Blue Performer Deluxe, '07 Genesis E-310 gasser, Jumbo Joe, Go Anywhere charcoal.

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 02:35:05 PM »
What kinds of temps are you getting out of the vortex? Thanks,jd
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 02:38:27 PM »
Ohhh, I want some of that! [emoji16]
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 03:41:03 PM »
Those wings look great, maybe too hot for my likes but great. Might have to get a vortex just for wings!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 04:16:55 PM »
@jd I can hold 250-275 with a minion burn down but when I dump 3/4 of a chimney in the middle I have no problem pegging my dome therm at 600 degrees.

@jcnaz http://store.puckerbuttpeppercompany.com/collections/sauces/products/voodoo-prince-death-mamba I think it's the best tasting HOT sauce I've ever had. I'm a pepperhead and have had all of the Dave's Insanity Sauces, all of the sauces and extracts from Da' Bomb, most of the ones from the Mad Dog 357 line, and countless others. It is absolutely delicious. I don't think it's quite as melt your face hot as some of the others, but the taste is unreal.

@WNC I'm all about the vortex right now. I don't remember what I paid for it but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have the medium and will eventually get the small for my 18"
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:19:38 PM by austin87 »

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 04:21:07 PM »
@austin87  that is impressive, thank you,jd
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 05:00:04 PM »
I only wish I had picked up about twice as many 8)

Oh man, when I saw that bag on the counter, and then wings on the grill I knew the same thing. Nice cookup!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 05:06:06 PM »
Crispy like they were deep fried? Man. Done wings 3 times with the vortex and had soft skin each time. I get better results with the coals piled to one side using an 18.5. I used different amounts of coals each time with the vortex to similar results. What is your secret Austin?
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 06:31:35 PM »
@MrHoss I dumped 3/4 chimney of K Comp into the middle of the vortex. My dome therm was pegged at 600 degrees the whole time. I think I cooked them for about 20 minutes per side.

My thought process was that oil is a better conductor of heat than air because it's so much denser, so the air temp would have to be really high to transfer heat to the wings the same way hot oil does.

Now tonight I'm trying again... my girlfriend was jealous when I told her I had wings without her. I'm not going quite as hot today, but will report back when they are done!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 08:47:59 PM »
@MrHoss I ran at 400-450 on the dome therm and they were not nearly as crispy as last night. I'll definitely try again but it seems like screamin' hot is the way to go.